Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:22 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangrown View Post
I'm thinking she means blueberry syrup, in which case....OMG delicious!

smoked salmon+fresh dill+lemon juice+ cream cheese+ black pepper = heaven
I see someone gets it But add a little homemade mayo to that and it'll be beyond divine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:05 PM

860 posts, read 2,044,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangrown View Post
I'm thinking she means blueberry syrup, in which case....OMG delicious!

smoked salmon+fresh dill+lemon juice+ cream cheese+ black pepper = heaven
No, she really does mean blueberry ketchup! This stuff is incredible on everything. With mayo in any kind of sandwich, to glaze a ham, with any meat, wild or otherwise,wild duck, meatloaf. The list is endless but my favorite is that one with cream cheese and smoked salmon on a ritz. I make blueberry everything, rake an average 50 gallons off the bushes around here every year. No reason you can't use domestic blueberries tho.
Here's how you make it:

Blueberry Ketchup
2 1/2 quarts blueberries
7 cups sugar
3 cups white vinegar
1 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons ground cloves

Use good spices, you're better off to buy whole and grind your own when you need it.

Mix it all up in a pot, bring to a boil then turn it down to a simmer for about 2 hours. Or put it on back of the woodstove and check on it every now & then, stir it once in a while.

You can pour it in pint jars & waterbath 15 minutes to keep it indefinitely but it'll last a couple months in the frige. You'll never buy that icky red stuff again and blueberries are SO good for you!
Love, Gramma

Old 12-16-2009, 06:18 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
Thanks Grandma Jeannette!! that got copied into word and saved off into the recipe folder and a printed copy for the my binder cookbook!!! I have a bunch of blueberries in the freezer ummmm...now just gotta find the time!!

Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 PM

Yum, thanks. I'm guessing it works well using huckleberries too.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:37 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,745,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
No, she really does mean blueberry ketchup! This stuff is incredible on everything. With mayo in any kind of sandwich, to glaze a ham, with any meat, wild or otherwise,wild duck, meatloaf. The list is endless but my favorite is that one with cream cheese and smoked salmon on a ritz. I make blueberry everything, rake an average 50 gallons off the bushes around here every year. No reason you can't use domestic blueberries tho.
Here's how you make it:

Blueberry Ketchup
2 1/2 quarts blueberries
7 cups sugar
3 cups white vinegar
1 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons ground cloves

Use good spices, you're better off to buy whole and grind your own when you need it.

Mix it all up in a pot, bring to a boil then turn it down to a simmer for about 2 hours. Or put it on back of the woodstove and check on it every now & then, stir it once in a while.

You can pour it in pint jars & waterbath 15 minutes to keep it indefinitely but it'll last a couple months in the frige. You'll never buy that icky red stuff again and blueberries are SO good for you!
Love, Gramma
I am going to try this...I've had cranberry ketchup, but not blueberry...I think would be yummy with grilled salmon...now how about a blueberry bbq sauce?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:20 PM

You can also take berry juice, mix it with a bit of fireweed honey and lemon to make a glaze and brush it onto the salmon prior to grilling or baking in foil. The blueberry ketchup sounds so yum though that I'm going to be trying it this weekend when the Prince of Wales visits

Old 12-17-2009, 03:30 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,335,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Blueberry ketchup? Hmmmm.......do tell. Trader Joes has smoked salmon on sale this week..... (don't laugh, dang it. I'm in NM. We have fresh chiles, not seafood. As a matter of fact, when someone ordered sushi last week at the Japanese restaurant, I shuddered.)
How about a "New Mexico / Alaskan" fusion dish?

Smoked Alaskan Salmon Santa Fe Cheesecake
2 cups of crushed tortilla strips
4 tablespoons of butter, melted
16 ounces of cream cheese
8 ounces of smoked Alaskan salmon
2 eggs
2 cups of sour cream
3 fresh jalapeño peppers
1 fresh poblano pepper
2 fresh anaheim peppers
3 fresh fresno peppers (1 green, 2 red)
1 fresh orange or yellow bell pepper
3 green scallions

Preheat the oven to 350°F

Mix the crushed tortilla chips with the melted butter and spread the tortilla mixture evenly across the bottom of a spring-form cheesecake pan. Bake for 15 minutes until the chips start to turn slightly brown.

Beat the cream cheese with one cup of sour cream and the eggs until smooth. Add the smoked salmon and mix together well.

Remove the seeds and pith of one jalapeño and one red fresno pepper, and dice. Add the diced peppers to the cheesecake mixture, and mix together well.

Spread the mixture evenly over the tortilla crust and bake for 45 minutes. In order to test to see if it is done, insert a clean knife into the center of the cheesecake and if it is still clean when removed, the cheesecake is done. If the cheesecake mixture still clings to the knife after it is removed, cook for another 10 minutes and then test again.

Set the cooked cheesecake on a wire rack (do not remove from the spring-form pan) until room temperature (approximately 1 hour).

After the cheesecake has cooled, spread the remaining one cup of sour cream evenly over the cheesecake, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Set aside one of the better looking red fresno peppers for a garnish. Just a few hours before serving, remove the seeds and pith from the remaining peppers and dice. Slice the green scallions. Sprinkle the diced peppers and scallions evenly across the cheesecake, and place the red fresno pepper you have been saving in the center.

The peppers smell and taste their best if eaten soon after being diced. Serve with beer and chips.

Good stuff!

NOTE: Despite all the peppers, this is not a hot (or even spicy) dish. All the heat in the peppers are contained in the seeds and the pith of the pepper, which are removed. Without the seeds and pith, the peppers taste very fresh and very mild. Make sure you wash your hands after dicing the peppers.

Last edited by Glitch; 12-17-2009 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Added note.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:59 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,232,716 times
Hmmm.. that DOES sound interesting. I'm laughing ruefully at the wash your hands comment. Ever seen what a bushel of freshly roasted green chiles can do to your hands after chopping? I cheat and wear gloves and use kitchen shears!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,335,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Hmmm.. that DOES sound interesting. I'm laughing ruefully at the wash your hands comment. Ever seen what a bushel of freshly roasted green chiles can do to your hands after chopping? I cheat and wear gloves and use kitchen shears!
That isn't cheating, that is just being prudent. I just wanted to warn those who were unfamiliar with handling peppers, before they made a mistake like rubbing their eyes, nose, or mouth before they wash their hands.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That isn't cheating, that is just being prudent. I just wanted to warn those who were unfamiliar with handling peppers, before they made a mistake like rubbing their eyes, nose, or mouth before they wash their hands.
I was head line chef in a Cajun Restaurant and for some reason just thought everyone knew to wash their hands after prepping hot peppers welllll....one poor guy went to use the bathroom and.....needless to say we ran 4 hours one person short on the line!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska