Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 8,071 times

Advertisements

Well, to start I'm 25 and live in Ohio. I'm looking to move to Anchorage by myself. I'm taking about 6-10G with me to start out etc. I would like to know places in town that are advisable to live, places to stay away from (rough areas). I'm involved in the medical field and want to go to school for EMT Paramedic up there. I'm thinking of joining a volunteer fire department considering I do that down here to help get situated also while working and schooling. Any advice is welcome and hope to hear from people. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
First, spend some time reading the various threads on this forum. Life in Anchorage is discussed extensively.
Having some start up cash is good. Having a confirmed job is even better.
I believe Anchorage uses a paid Fire Department. Chugiak (about 20 miles north) I think has a volunteer Fire Department...
You might also consider the Valley. We are about 40 miles north and use a volunteer force. I believe there is a training program...
Matsu Emergency Services
Anchorage Fire Department

Old 12-29-2009, 03:20 PM

251 posts, read 679,747 times
As far as I know Alaska does not have paramedic training, my aunt is an EMT3 (as well as works in a hospital) and would have to go to Washington state to become a full blown paramedic unless UAA has a new program I dont know about.

I would put your car on a ferry and fly up or if you can ride the ferry up with your car if its cheaper from washington state straight into anchorage or seward otherwise gas money will eat you up unless you have an economy car but when you are up here in the winter you will really want at least a mid size 4x4. 6-10K is a good amount if you are smart about it, keep in mind jobs are hard to come by, might be a bit easier in the medical field but still not a cake walk (unless you are a full blown MD).

As far as bad areas, mt view, most all of east anchorage, fair view, parts of midtown, good areas are pretty much all of south anchorage some parts of mid town and parts of west anch, spenard is west anch I believe and thats as rough as mt view.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:28 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Alaska does have Paramedic training here...

Paramedic Programs in Alaska (http://www.chems.alaska.gov/ems/MICP.htm - broken link)

I don't see any mention of a vehicle.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:58 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenova View Post
Well, to start I'm 25 and live in Ohio. I'm looking to move to Anchorage by myself. I'm taking about 6-10G with me to start out etc. I would like to know places in town that are advisable to live, places to stay away from (rough areas). I'm involved in the medical field and want to go to school for EMT Paramedic up there. I'm thinking of joining a volunteer fire department considering I do that down here to help get situated also while working and schooling. Any advice is welcome and hope to hear from people. Thanks!

Have you also checked out the "Alaskan Information Thread" which has many links for those moving to Alaska? It's good that you are coming with a decent amount of money to get you through. What part of Ohio are you in?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...on-thread.html

Old 12-29-2009, 05:01 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
sorry some people on here think they know it all and do not check to be sure of their info!

Here's the link: Paramedic Programs in Alaska (http://www.chems.alaska.gov/ems/MICP.htm - broken link)

and here is a bit of info from it:

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedics (MICP)
in Alaska

Training Programs

Many visitors to our web site are interested in learning about the availability of paramedic training in Alaska. Paramedic courses taught in Alaska must be approved by the Department of Health and Social Services and must be directed by a certified Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic Course Coordinator.
Currently, there are two Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic (MICP) training programs operating within Alaska.
[CENTER]
University of Alaska - Fairbanks[/CENTER]

Kenai Peninsula college and Manauska- Susitna College offer the course as well.
I just posted that link!

Old 12-29-2009, 05:06 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I just posted that link!
sorry for the double post...didn't see yours Warpt!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:31 AM

2 posts, read 8,071 times
Thanks everyone for your posts and replies. I'll keep all that in mind as I am taking notes nearly daily!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:43 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Many of the paramedics here are cross trained in rescue including diving and flight. If you want to be well versed (and hirable) those can be invaluable.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:25 PM

31 posts, read 85,157 times
Quote:
First DON'T MOVE HERE!! THERE IS NO NIGHT LIFE, IF YOU ARE MALE THERE IS NOT CHANCE AT MEETING A NICE DECENT GIRL..THE WINTERS ARE HORRIBLE!!! LONG AND THE EXTREME COLD IS TOO MUCH AND THE RENT AND COST OF LIVING IS HIGH, YEA WAGES ARE HIGH BUT THAT'S CAUSE IT COSTS SO MUCH TO LIVE HERE..THE ROADS IN ANCHORAGE ARE BAD IN THE WINTER...THE PEOPLE ARE NASTY THE RESTAURANTS ARE BAD..MOVE ELSEWHERE...NOT ALASKA..

To all who are moving to Alaska from Florida and think it's going to be such a great adventure and selling all their furniture..DON'T!! Yea the heat and humidity keeps you inside with the A/C on in Fl a lot, but the EXTREME COLD keeps you inside more of the year with the heat on!! The dark for the winter is horrible and is depressing, I have never felt so depressed and isolated until we moved here. People are miserable and I have not met one neighbor, at least in Fl all the neighbors came over to say hello and welcome. I never liked the heat or humidity but am so looking forward to moving out of AK ASAP! this was the worst experience of my life and the biggest mistake of my life. The furniture, rent, gas and food are so much more expensive in AK and half the time if you look at the expiration date on the food is only a few days after buying it! To have anything shipped up here is more expensive if they will at all and to ship out, well good luck on trying to get overnight delivery in or out of AK, FED EX is the only one and sometimes it's still 2 days and a ton of money. Unless you love skiing or ride your snow machine or mush dogs, there is not a lot to do outside in the winter..and too cold half the time..in Fairbanks it's -30 to 40 and you have to plug your car in to keep the engine warm! In the summer it's beautiful, but summer doesn't last long...and believe me doesn't make up for the LONG COLD winters! I should have taken note of all the U-hauls we passed on the way out of AK as we were driving into AK! If you are from the East Coast You will experience a MAJOR culture shock when arriving here in AK and the lack of good restaurants and cultural experiences are nill...lack of good shopping and stores is getting to me...sometime they only have one dealer or shop here and they don't care how they treat you cause they know you need them and they are the only ones here in AK. I have not eaten good food in a restaurant since we have been here, the food is bad, the service is horrible. The medical care and office staff in this state that I have experienced is some of the worst I have ever had!!! half aren't even providers for my insurance and when i get approval to see out of network these DR's can't even diagnose a problem and their staff are incompetent and rude! I have been told by several people I work with that people come to AK to be left alone, that's why they came to this state, another told me she has time for only one friend and doesn't want anymore she is too busy. I have spoken to another who is moving about the same time I am as she has been here for 5 years and hasn't made one good friend here and she has been told the same things from different people. It's a depressing state. A beautiful state with all the scenery and wildlife and seeing the Moose on the side of the road and in town,, but after experiencing the winters and seeing so many moose it's old and I can't wait until the snow melts and I can get back to the heat and humidity of Florida again...and back to the life that I thought I hated but realized I hate this life in AK more, I have never been more depressed in my life than the last few years I have lived and worked here. Yea the wages are better but the cost of living is more WAY MORE!! than the low wages in Fl and the cost of living there. Crime is high in AK considering the population to FL. I thought I would love living here after visiting here in the summer, but I WAS WRONG! AK is horrible and if I could leave now I would! So for those of you who think you are going to love it, visit different times of the year..stay outside of the touristy areas ..not much to do...especially at -40 below zero!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska