Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:40 AM

44 posts, read 98,228 times

Advertisements

I just noticed my iphone said 3G in downtown Juneau! I just tested it and it is 3G. The speeds are around 0.71mb down and 0.21mb up! Very very exciting!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 10:42 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
I saw that last night when I sent a message. Also, it was in part of the house where I usually don't have reception.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:11 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,011 times
Does anyone use the AT&T USB wireless connect for internet??? does it work well up there???

Old 01-03-2010, 02:01 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
A couple companies sell them up here-GCI and ACS, but I'm not sure of how the technology works or how good the coverage is.......maybe the websites for the companies I mentioned can help you out.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Does anyone use the AT&T USB wireless connect for internet??? does it work well up there???
Are you talking about "tethering" ? If you are, pre-3G, it is horrible, worse than dialup in most cases we've seen.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Are you talking about "tethering" ? If you are, pre-3G, it is horrible, worse than dialup in most cases we've seen.
no not "tethering" this looks like a USB flashdrive but is a wireless connect antenna unit. A friend who is all over the US uses one. It even works in his massive metal building that radio's etc will not get reception in. He does not travel into AK to know how it would work there.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:39 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,532 times
Blue, I used this service (you're referring to mobile broadband, right?), but via Verizon. I found that their map was accurate in terms of where it will work and where it will not. I looked at the AT&T website and their mobile broadband coverage in Alaska is extremely limited. Verizon looked like it might be a bit better. Pity I just got rid of it otherwise could have test drove it for you up there in a couple of weeks.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
Blue, I used this service (you're referring to mobile broadband, right?), but via Verizon. I found that their map was accurate in terms of where it will work and where it will not. I looked at the AT&T website and their mobile broadband coverage in Alaska is extremely limited. Verizon looked like it might be a bit better. Pity I just got rid of it otherwise could have test drove it for you up there in a couple of weeks.
yes that is what I am talking about!!! bummer you got rid of it. I will check out there site....Do you have to have any other service with Verizon to get this??? Right now I am paying for internet in 2 states, this would save a lot of money monthly plus I was hope'n it would work in AK this summer for me with my laptop.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:56 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,532 times
You can have mobile broadband on its own with Verizon. Too bad, I would have handed my line over to you! But seriously, I will give you my modem thingy if you decide to go with Verizon and they aren't giving them away for free (which I think they are now)...I have no use for it anymore and haven't found anybody who wants it.

It costs $60/month for 5GB. That is the maximum amount of download allowed before they charge you per MB. It means you can't watch very many youtube videos and definitely no movies! But for regular email, posting on forums like this, etc...it is way more than you will need. The only time I nearly reached my limit was when I tried to watch a tv series on youtube.

It seems most of the mobile companies charge the same for their broadband now. So just make sure you buy into the one with the most coverage in Alaska. I would go into the various mobile stores with an address or two and make them type it into their system to ensure it would work where you want it to. I would get it in writing and then you can back out of your contract if it doesn't work without paying the massive early cancellation fees like I did.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
You can have mobile broadband on its own with Verizon. Too bad, I would have handed my line over to you! But seriously, I will give you my modem thingy if you decide to go with Verizon and they aren't giving them away for free (which I think they are now)...I have no use for it anymore and haven't found anybody who wants it.

It costs $60/month for 5GB. That is the maximum amount of download allowed before they charge you per MB. It means you can't watch very many youtube videos and definitely no movies! But for regular email, posting on forums like this, etc...it is way more than you will need. The only time I nearly reached my limit was when I tried to watch a tv series on youtube.

It seems most of the mobile companies charge the same for their broadband now. So just make sure you buy into the one with the most coverage in Alaska. I would go into the various mobile stores with an address or two and make them type it into their system to ensure it would work where you want it to. I would get it in writing and then you can back out of your contract if it doesn't work without paying the massive early cancellation fees like I did.
Dang it all....I went with AT&T 3G cell phones 'cuz they work better here in New England. Have a Verizon dry loop DSL line in MA, COX cable in RI!!!
wonder if your modem thingy will work for me seeing I have Verizon DSL??? if so I'll take it!!!

AT&T is $20 a month for the broadband service according to the website but I didn't really read it well....quick scan of info....figured I'd ask before getting to into the info.
yikes ya had to pay for the early out....crapola!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska