Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,760 times

Advertisements

I am an RN currently employed in Hospice nursing in Arkansas. My children are grown and my husband passed away last year. It has been a dream of mine to travel and Alaska has always been a place of interest to me. My husband and I commercial fished and kept a large houseboat on the White River in the heart of the White River Refuge so I am no stranger to the outdoors. I have training in many areas but love hospice nursing. Are there positions in rural areas for someone who desires to work in this field? I have been researching job opportunities over the internet but most positions listed are for large cities and hospitals. I would like to try a travel nursing position that would allow me to work in different areas of the state. Is this possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 07:19 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
I believe if you scroll through some of the older threads I remember seeing a few on nursing etc. Should be a few links or places to check on.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:21 AM

338 posts, read 1,369,161 times
At one point when I lived in AK, there were hospice nurses working in Juneau - where you can dock and live on your boat. I see this is an older post, and perhaps you are already there, but it not - Hospice does offer positions at least in Juneau. Very beautiful there.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:28 PM

13 posts, read 46,590 times
Default Did you find a Hospice job in Alaska?

Hi Mikki: I am a Hospice nurse, too. Did you ever find a job in Alaska? I have always wondered about Travel Nursing but I don't want anything but Hospice!

Old 08-21-2008, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,489 times
Default Need Live-in RN for Sitka, Alaska

My father-in-law lives in Sitka, AK. His wife has COPD, CHF, Diabetes, and is on oxygen 24/7. He's been taking care of her full time for several years with tremendous love and devotion. There are no nursing facility openings available in Sitka. He is looking into moving to Washington, but his heart is in Alaska and he's concerned the travel would be too much for her.

He has a beautiful home with a deck overlooking Sitka Sound and Mt Edgecumbe. At the moment you would have a private room and bath, but he has plans for an efficiency apartment on the bottom floor. Salary, travel costs, use of vehicle, etc. are all negotiable.

He's an excellent cook, was a commercial fisherman most of his life, and is one of genuinely good and pleasant people. This would be an extraordinary opportunity for the right person. References required. Please email me at [EMAIL="library.work@yahoo.com"]library.work@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,838 times
I too am a Hospice nurse from San Diego. I have been trying to find a travel nurse group that handles hospice. I know what you mean about hospice. I have other training but love hospice. If you know any listings please let me know.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
The three major hospitals in Anchorage are Native American Medical Center, Providence Medical Center and Alaska Regional Hospital. Native customs in hospice are unique and you may want to look into those before interviewing. They have specific rules about death and dying and burial.

In the villages there are many Tribal Governments which administer and work with the big three in Anchorage. These are from larger (Dillingham) to middle (Kotzebue) to small and remote.

Your best bet would be to get a list of the Tribal governments and call them to see if they have any openings or trainings. R.N.'s are sought after in remote communities but frequently have to wear many hats. In the larger cities Anchorage and Fairbanks you could talk with the hospitals and they should be able to direct you to the right department.

Providence has the largest oncology practice so I think they might be the best to talk with.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:47 PM

89 posts, read 167,962 times
Its called Alaska Native Medical Center, Not native american medical center.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
copy. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska