Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,778,242 times

Advertisements

Maybe kind of fata morgana just showing lights from far away? Boy I wish you would "bold" out the part of text mentioning the lights far away on the ice. It is hard to find in the article...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM

989 posts, read 3,525,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu2rn View Post
the first thing I thought when I got off the plane was , "Oh my god, what have I done." I started apologizing to my dear husband immediately.
Thats the reaction a lot of us got when we moved here... except Floyd.

Quote:
The hospital was horrible. It is dirty, and the doctors are substandard to say the least. After a particular night in which several people could have been harmed by the Dr. at the hospital, I decided I had to leave.
I was told by a doctor over there that I had colon cancer. Turns out I just had gas. (I'm not joking)

Quote:
...he applied for every open position he could find and was even turned down for a floor care person at the hospital. The reason cited was that he didn't meet the minimum qualifications. What could that possible be? He doesn't drink alcohol and he shows up for work everyday.
Lets just say it-- your husband is not native.

Quote:
Anyways, am I glad I moved to Barrow? I suppose I am.
You only lived here a short time but it sounds like you got to see the "real" Barrow, not the one Floyd tries to sell. Its an ugly place and I'm not just talking about the scenery.

Quote:
t
I know I am going to be bashed by Floyd after this post but that is okay. I am merely expressing my feelings and experience with Barrow. Perhaps Barrow is his Eden. It definitely wasn't mine.
Its not anyones eden, not even Floyds, he just lives in his own odd reality. He has fooled a lot of keyboard junkies into believing Barrow is a nice place.

Those of us who live here know Floyd is as crooked as a dogs back leg when talking about Barrow, people who are researching Barrow would be wise to avoid anything he has to say. I don't mean to be rude but its very expensive moving here and finding out you were given false information about the place. CD should be a site where people can come to for accurate information.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:02 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Took this picture after arriving in Barrow. A few days later I talked to the guy that lived there. He said you measured a man's wealth by how much junk he had around his house. I looked around again and commented, "Your a mighty wealth man." He's just gave me the big grin...

Old 02-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Stiffnecked, I can't really picture where that photo was taken as so much of Barrow looks just like that. This place is a dive, the homes and businesses are held together with spit and duck tape. The building/home next to Arctic Pizza burned down this weekend. A few weeks back Floyds favorite place to eat (Sam and Lee's) had a major fire as well. They're not even open anymore, all the windows are boarded and the place is a wreck. Yep, thats why Barrow is known as "The Junk Yard Of The North."

Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Took this picture after arriving in Barrow. A few days later I talked to the guy that lived there. He said you measured a man's wealth by how much junk he had around his house. I looked around again and commented, "Your a mighty wealth man." He's just gave me the big grin...
The picture is not specific to Barrow, I have seen lots of areas like that up and down the Sterling Highway, some hide it better than others, not sure if they want to...I call that the anything goes look

Old 02-01-2010, 07:34 PM

True enough Granny, but in Barrow its EVERYWHERE (even Floyd's house). The only thing we have going for is that when it snows it covers it all up.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
True enough Granny, but in Barrow its EVERYWHERE (even Floyd's house). The only thing we have going for is that when it snows it covers it all up.
And then spring comes and it melts and reappears magically ....I always have wondered if anything lives amongst those piles, mosquitos, mice, other critters...

Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Stiffnecked, I can't really picture where that photo was taken as so much of Barrow looks just like that. This place is a dive, the homes and businesses are held together with spit and duck tape. The building/home next to Arctic Pizza burned down this weekend. A few weeks back Floyds favorite place to eat (Sam and Lee's) had a major fire as well. They're not even open anymore, all the windows are boarded and the place is a wreck. Yep, thats why Barrow is known as "The Junk Yard Of The North."
Does this mean the free wifi internet connection at Sam and Lee's went up in smoke?

Last edited by stiffnecked; 02-01-2010 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: better?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Does this mean Floyd lost his free wifi connection??
That seriously made me laugh out loud. Too bad the mods will cut it out. Still very funny.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
The picture is not specific to Barrow, I have seen lots of areas like that up and down the Sterling Highway, some hide it better than others, not sure if they want to...I call that the anything goes look
That is true. The discussion by others is a demonstration of how ignorant they are of the facts of life when living in most of bush Alaska. What looks like junk to a person with a secure job that pays well and has a Home Depot down the road a short distance, is the equivalent of those things where they otherwise don't exist! Because every single piece of wood has to be shipped here at significant expense, every single bit of it has value.

Yes, wealth in most villages is indeed measured by how much "stuff" a person has laying around in the yard. And yes we are all pretty much aware that many people from other places are too narrow minded to understand the significance.

One of the more interesting little impromptu speeches I've ever heard is what happens in a conference room at the Barrow Arctic Research Center during their weekly outreach presentations when someone brings up that subject. Glenn Sheehan (head of BASC and a PhD in anthropology) and his wife Dr. Ann Jensen (Senior Scientist for Ukpeagvik Inupiat Corportation) both pitch in with what can best be described as a very polite but firm academic description of how and why cultures are necessarily different.

And "hiding it" would only be an option if that is necessary to get more stuff in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska