Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:32 PM

14 posts, read 144,741 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to Alaska around June 1st. Planning ahead on what is the best way to get there.

We have one small dog and a cat and a 4 door car. We do have some nice funiture that we would like to bring but Im told the best thing to do is to sell and buy new when we get up there. Is this true?

Also if we drive should we get a pod company to move our personal items up there? I dont think I can part some time of my belongings that are personal to me.

Also how much is it to take the ferry from Seattle to Anchorage, with a vehicle? Would it be cheaper to drive the Alaskan highway?

Should we rent a trailer and pull it?

Any advice would help me out greatly on what is the best and cheapest way to move to Alaska. Price quote would be great if you have some!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,786,598 times
What part of Alaska are you moving to?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 PM

Anchorage

Old 01-04-2010, 12:42 PM

From Fargo, ND

Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,786,598 times
I think it would be more direct to drive through Canada.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Thats what we were thinking as well.

Any advice on moving up there? Sell car buy truck and rent a trailor?

Sell all of our belongings and pack what we can in the car? And possible mail extra clothes and dvds to our new address by a family memeber when we get there? And our little personal belongings.

The only things we dont want to have to sell is our DVD colletion of about 300 or so DVDS and our clothes since those are a bit harder to replace and expensive. But I thought we could drop them off with a family memeber and pay them to mail us what we arnt able to fit in the car. It will cost a lot in S/H but it be cheaper then getting a uhal or a moving pod. Id like to bring our TV's and DVD players since those are fairly new too, and our couch and bed. I just know that we wouldnt be able to get nearly what we paid for them and will spend a lot of money tryin to replace it all.

Is it worth it to sell nice new furniture like a couch and a bad and 2 flat screen and new DVD system, take what we can get for it which wont be much. Or rent a moving pod or trailer and haul it up there and not worry about having to buy all new stuff when we get there.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,781,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicajo View Post
Sell all of our belongings and pack what we can in the car? And possible mail extra clothes and dvds to our new address by a family memeber when we get there? And our little personal belongings.
That's what I did, you would be amazed at how much "junk" you build up in life.
Coming from Fargo, ND sounds like you should have the correct winter clothes tho.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:41 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
How to Drive to Alaska in the Summer - ExploreNorth

http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...ion-links.html

You will need to have your passport now to get in and out of Canada. I'd drive, it's well worth it and cheaper than the ferry. Made it up last summer in four days from Baker, Mt.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the tip! Nice to hear advice from someone whos close to where Im from.

Id love to drive it as well just for the experiance and adventure of it all.

We are getting passports and forms for guns to take acorss the border. Thinking of just packing food and a tent and camping what we can the whole way up.

Has anyone done the moving Pods to Alaska from the states?? I assume that has to be expensive but getting a quote online isnt very easy.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:50 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
I didn't move from Montana, my brother moved there from Alaska. We've been driving down and back the past few years to visit. They moved down with moving expenses paid for by the job my sister in law got, so they had the truck shipped down for them. There are several links to moving companies in the questions on Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska