Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
Wrong- these dorms were NOT available for the US workers. This was a package deal set up with the college so that Irish students could come for the summer and would be provided cheap lodging and a job, and would leave prior to the local students returning.

You can disagree all you want about the insourcing of cheap labor. Tell that to my cousin who is training eastern Indian H1B workers to take his job as a computer engineer for one of the largest insurance companies in this country. Talk to all of the journeymen drywallers who lost their jobs to illegal aliens. Talk to ALL tradesman in the construction industry. Talk to the truckers who have watched their wages fall, and jobs disappear as the industry is flooded with cheap labor. Talk to factory workers in Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia who were replaced with illegal aliens working for less than minimum wage. Talk to the cable installers on the west coast whose industry is now cornered by illegal aliens. Talk to restaurant workers whose pay has stagnated due to this flood of cheap, replaceable labor. Talk to the seemingly infinite number of citizens whose wages, and quality of life have suffered greatly because of this corporate greed disease. By god, get out and talk to people.
Hey...I'm sorry as hell about your cousin and I know that I've said that in previous posts. Any time your cousin is interested in seasonal work in Alaska I'd be more than happy to help him out. But I thought I had made it clear in previous postings that I'm not talking about year round family wage type jobs but rather seasonal employment, so I'm not accepting your analogy as being a realistic one.

Perhaps things are different in Washington State, but in Alaska, seasonal employers provide the same housing for citizens that they do for foreign workers.

This thread is not about illegal aliens so I won't be going there, though I will say that tourism is big business in Alaska and that the jobs available in that industry simply cannot be filled by U.S. applicants. The bottom line is is that those jobs need to be filled and U.S. citizens have not been able to do so, even in these tough economic times.

They aren't bad jobs for what they are. Once again, any U.S. citizen who wants to work seasonally in Alaska can do so; the foreign workers are taking nothing from them.

Illegal immigration is not a huge problem in Alaska outside of perhaps Anchorage, and even then it's marginal. The Alaska tourism industry wouldn't be able to function if it weren't for the seasonal workers so please understand that it's an entirely different issue.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-05-2010 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:36 PM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
I will certainly defer to you as far as Alaska goes- perhaps it is "different" there. But there has been a seemingly endless flood of cheap labor into the lower 48 over the course of the past 10 years, much of it the illegal variety, though not all by any stretch of the imagination. Like you, I do not want this thread to devolve into a rant against illegal aliens. I am just speaking to the dire circumstances this country finds itself in right now insofar as unemployment is concerned. The horrific policies of our bought and paid for government have finally come home to roost, and there's hell to pay.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:30 AM

693 posts, read 1,605,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

The OP was asking about legal work opportunities in Alaska. They do exist, and the seasonal workers bring a lot of positive things to our state.
Yep, I realize that, and he also expressed that he wasn't interested in seasonal work but in permanent work. I've helped (or attempted to help) a fair number of folks work their way through the US immigration paperwork. It's very difficult unless you have a particular job skill, are coming as a student, or as a seasonal worker. That's why most citizens of poorer EU countries that are trying to improve their fortunes head to other EU countries - there's no crazy paperwork to negotiate. So - I wasn't saying that to be dismissive or unwelcoming. But the reality is, if they are seeking permanent work in the US they are going to have a really tough time doing so. Regardless, hopefully they will find a better opportunity somewhere, and if Alaska then more power to him.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:41 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
It appears Denali hires folks from out of country. Wasn't there some Russian ladies working with whats his name there last summer?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 AM

7 posts, read 49,798 times
how can i contact the Denali? any mail address?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:52 AM

7 posts, read 49,798 times
i did, and they told me to find a sponsor....

Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
Most of the seasonal positions in Denali are contracted to these two employers. Nana Management and Princess Tours

https://jobs.nana.com/careersnms/Careers.aspx

Alaska Tour Jobs

Old 06-14-2010, 12:14 AM

3 posts, read 5,679 times
We are from Kathmandu, Nepal

Seeking job opportunity in Canada and Alaska in any type of job.

Any interested employer can contact us at siddhirajs@yahoo.com

We are ready to relocate any time.

regds

Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iswari View Post

regds
I am seeking a job in Kathmandu, Nepal will you be able to help me???

Old 06-14-2010, 08:25 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iswari View Post

regds

Contact Cinram in Huntsville, AL.
They hire from Nepal all the time (NEVER try to hire locals). Last year they brought in 150 Nepalese to work for a while (they make cd's), they house them in some nearby no-tell motel (no Americans are housed) and one day.... all the Nepalese were gone and so was all of the furniture and the kitchen appliances from the place. They became part of the great melting pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska