U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 AM

7 posts, read 44,678 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm 21 years old and i am searching for a job in Alaska the problem is that i'm from Europe, Romania, so i can't walk the docs searching for a deckhand work spot, anyone can help ? i am willing to work in fishing industry or farming industry, i'm also good with computers networking, i really need to find a job there can anyone please help?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 AM

1,629 posts, read 4,850,350 times
You have to get sponsored by a business or be approved for a work visa. Sorry I can't give you more details, good luck!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 AM

15,596 posts, read 35,219,786 times
Go to the Legal Immigration Forum here on City-Data. The very first thread in that forum has links to vital information on obtaining a visa to work in the US.
You would need to be sponsored by an employer...which may be hard to do with our economy these days. I don't see a boat captain going through the pile of paperwork that is involved, to sponsor a foreign worker when he can hire a local.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM

6,381 posts, read 12,240,703 times
Seems to be a lot of them in the Bigger Canneries that have no visas for working here on even speak a tad of English.

But that is another thread....

Old 01-05-2010, 11:31 AM

I have no problems speaking English, i don't know what to do, i need to find a sponsor but where? and how? Anyone knows any employer that can sponsor me? i'll pay him back there all the costs everything that's not a problem....

Old 01-05-2010, 11:54 AM

878 posts, read 1,434,939 times
One thing to note, deathsin, our economy is in a shambles. We have tens of millions of people out of work. Why would we import more foreign workers when we can't even employ our own? This is the worst time in years for you to be looking to the US for employment. I understand you wanting to come here, but unless you're some computer engineer on a H1B visa, this is not a good time for such a thing. Just my two cents.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Sorry i didn't know that is so worse there, i thought that here is that worse... no, i'm not a computer engineer i'm actually a Network Tehnician i've been working for almost 5 years in this but the pay is low here...

Old 01-05-2010, 01:27 PM

21,676 posts, read 27,736,849 times
I don't know about fishing or farming, but plenty of Europeans find temp/seasonal work through this site. It even has a section for foreign workers, and they do still hire them.

CoolWorks.com - Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places

Old 01-05-2010, 02:54 PM

1,741 posts, read 3,190,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
One thing to note, deathsin, our economy is in a shambles. We have tens of millions of people out of work. Why would we import more foreign workers when we can't even employ our own? This is the worst time in years for you to be looking to the US for employment. I understand you wanting to come here, but unless you're some computer engineer on a H1B visa, this is not a good time for such a thing. Just my two cents.
Not that I agree with it but employers continue to hire out-of-country workers because their work ethic is higher than many here in the US that look for seasonal work. They normally get paid more in the US than in their countries and they show up to work when they're suppose to.

Another source for seasonal jobs. Close to 3000 jobs for this summer in Alaska from this one employer.
Alaska Tour Jobs

Old 01-05-2010, 03:05 PM

tank you guys for helping me i appreciate it....really need a job, here in my country is damn hard to live in, salary is like 300$ per month...so it's awfull that's why i wanna get out of this country...
another question i have, so i need to find a sponsor that means what? a employer or a us citizen that can hire me? idk i'm thinking if i can find somebody to help me and i'll pay all the costs...and i'm not searching for seasonal i'm thinking like a permanent one don't ever wanna come back here in this s*it*y country again , if that's not possible seasonal sounds good...
There in Alaska farmers don't need help? i'm good with animals not so good with machinery but i learn fast...

Last edited by deathsin; 01-05-2010 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or