U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2010, 02:53 PM
 
26 posts, read 50,382 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am very interested in moving to Alaska as I love to fish and pan for gold. I am also drawn to the independent spirit of the state.

I do have a few questions though:

1 - How bad is the spring/summer for hay fever sufferers

2 - Would Fairbanks or the Kenai peninsula be better for someone interested in spending their spare time fishing and recreational gold mining

3 - For people who relocated to AK, what surprised you the most about the move

Thanks
Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2010, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Palmer
2,518 posts, read 6,026,206 times
Reputation: 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthedark View Post
Hi all,

I am very interested in moving to Alaska as I love to fish and pan for gold. I am also drawn to the independent spirit of the state.

I do have a few questions though:

1 - How bad is the spring/summer for hay fever sufferers
Depends on where you live. Some areas like Palmer have a lot of wind and pollen. I would guess SE Alaska would be better.
Quote:

2 - Would Fairbanks or the Kenai peninsula be better for someone interested in spending their spare time fishing and recreational gold mining
I think Kenai is better fishiing and Fairbanks is better gold mining.
Quote:

3 - For people who relocated to AK, what surprised you the most about the move
Can't answer that...didn't relocate here.
Quote:

Thanks
Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
12,272 posts, read 11,328,152 times
Reputation: 6124
Fairbanks has air advisory days. lots of dust. The thing that surprised me most is that people are outgoing and that the natural beauty is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
2,611 posts, read 4,169,839 times
Reputation: 2109
I just did a Google search for "gold panning Alaska". It looks like there's some links to some good resources.
Alaska Mining and Diving are the local experts. Contacting them might be a good resource. Alaska Mining & Diving Supply - ATV's, boats, outboards, snowmobiles, and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Floor e duh
89 posts, read 299,549 times
Reputation: 64
Kenai peninsula sounds like a better fit for you. The fishing will be better than Fairbanks and you can pan for gold around Seward and Hope. You will need to check what area is open for recreational panning or get permission to work some ones claim.
The air quality is probably better there as well. Just my opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Anchorage
1,926 posts, read 4,027,505 times
Reputation: 864
there is some hot gold panning in Eagle I hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,610 posts, read 28,780,654 times
Reputation: 12368
Gold panning is not that simple, specially in the interior where winters are long and cold. That leaves you with perhaps a very short summer to gold pan, from June to August or so before the snow starts falling again. In june the water temperature should be around 38 to 45 degrees depending on the location. The ambient temperature may be a lot higher, but so the gnats, mosquitos, flies, and other bugs all around your head.

Also, you can't just go to a stream and start panning unless you are wearing body armor, because most areas are "claimed" already, which leaves a few public areas for you to pan. Since gold is so expensive these days, miners are very protective of their claims, and you don't want to venture into somebody's property without becoming informed.
-

Pleas understand that I am not being pessimistic about it. I dredge for gold, and metal detect every now and then at a friend's claim, and know how things are in this area. I know every placer miner in that area, and know how wild they can be if they don't know you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 08:42 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,958 posts, read 22,274,224 times
Reputation: 9066
You need to watch out for claims and sometimes it's not so easy finding out if an area is claimed; the government maps aren't always very user-friendly. I've been wanting to pan around my property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 09:25 PM
 
457 posts, read 889,915 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthedark View Post
Hi all,

I am very interested in moving to Alaska as I love to fish and pan for gold. I am also drawn to the independent spirit of the state.

I do have a few questions though:

1 - How bad is the spring/summer for hay fever sufferers

2 - Would Fairbanks or the Kenai peninsula be better for someone interested in spending their spare time fishing and recreational gold mining

3 - For people who relocated to AK, what surprised you the most about the move

Thanks
Frank

Brother dont go with fear , you see a creek and want to pan go for it. If you dont see signs then its open ground. Look for claim signs . Its all open ground untill your telled otherwise. Ive been up and down the country I know the story , just dont steal people shyte and give a % and all is swell.

My advice is go to the country with strength! DAMN WERE FELLOW AMERICANS ARENT WE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Its all about fear amd apprehesion anymore.


Arrive in fairbanks, buy a $500 CAR - 100$ for auto insurance for 3 months- reg 30$ and get a job pizza delivery and take home 70$ (no tax) every night and collect 40 hours flat $200 every friday > HELLOOOOOOOOO? And you want to build a life which you deserve?

Alaska inst a do? Maybe stay home with momma. Even the dropouts say there expeience in workin / playin / failing in Alaska was an experience ; was so special and tell my family .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
8,685 posts, read 14,507,647 times
Reputation: 10301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
Brother dont go with fear , you see a creek and want to pan go for it. If you dont see signs then its open ground. Look for claim signs . Its all open ground untill your telled otherwise. Ive been up and down the country I know the story , just dont steal people shyte and give a % and all is swell.

My advice is go to the country with strength! DAMN WERE FELLOW AMERICANS ARENT WE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Its all about fear amd apprehesion anymore.


Arrive in fairbanks, buy a $500 CAR - 100$ for auto insurance for 3 months- reg 30$ and get a job pizza delivery and take home 70$ (no tax) every night and collect 40 hours flat $200 every friday > HELLOOOOOOOOO? And you want to build a life which you deserve?

Alaska inst a do? Maybe stay home with momma. Even the dropouts say there expeience in workin / playin / failing in Alaska was an experience ; was so special and tell my family .
What the hey is that supposed to mean (bolded)? Is this $ sign on the backside of the number a symbol of some kind...I've been seeing this a lot lately...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top