U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:30 AM

471 posts, read 659,967 times

Advertisements

Well we seem to still pride our self on our self sustainment. I understand we are a hub, but what about all the money that is also pumped into the other little villages around here? I am not saying let people starve, but you can't live in a "self sustaining community" and live on food stamps... your no longer self sustaining... at that point you need to move to a place where you can actually get a job.

However, bethel even as a hub, does not generate as much profits as we have brought in to us the flat rate mail that gets sent in and out takes a loss almost every time its being sent. We would not generate any form of sustainable income or food, if we did not have so much federal and state money coming in to support us.

I love bethel, and I am using it as my example because thats where I live, but I have a friend up in Nome, and its the same way up there, at least before they used to have gold, but they don't have that any more, now its just a town that should die but can't. In the lower 48 they turn into ghost towns and people move on to the next town, but here we can't do that because there is no next town to move on to... which is sucky because now we are forced to keep open this crappy villages that no longer serve a purpose. I am sure that it would be cheaper to setup a village in montana somewhere for these people and fly them all out to it, and start them up again... then it would be to keep them in some of these towns such as Oscarville or Kipnuk (obviously the upfront cost would be high, but it would save money later on). I know that would never happen and that sounds horrible, but the best options never sound good. The worst options always sound best ironically enough...
However, sometimes what sounds best is best, but the natives wont support it...
Natives wont allow us to put up a wind farm which could easily power Bethel, because it goes against the native ways or some BS, but powering generators by diesel is SOOO much more native. I forgot that two hundred years ago the people were kyaking out to anchorage to pick up more diesel fuel for their generators.

I am even almost falling in love with the beauty of Bethel, though I would still prefer to be in Cordova or somewhere else that is beautiful.

I am kinda rambling, my tl;dr is:
I love bethel, but I don't think it pays for itself to function. I don't think most towns pay for themselves to function, but most of all I feel that its the native corps who are out here (as in Alaska not Bethel) who are only looking out for the management and not for the people of the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 12:38 AM

6,271 posts, read 8,074,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
DEC has raised the estimated spill to 142,800 gallons

Diesel has now entered the waters at Adak...

Looks like the native corp is gonna be the responsible party...

" The Aleut Corp does not want any photos to leave the Island unless they have been censored by them "
Was talking with my guys out there and it sounds like the State is washing their hands of it and the Aleut Corp doesn't want to sign any cleanup contracts. So the mess will just hang around for a bunch of years I guess until nature breaks it down and cleans it up.

Pretty sad, but it is their land..... If EXXON had done that, the World would be coming to an end...

Hey, where is your "Approved" stamp on that photo!

Old 01-16-2010, 11:46 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,205,036 times
Its there, look close..

Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,205,036 times
Met, you're up already today.....I learned all these trolling skills from you !

Old 01-16-2010, 02:02 PM

319 posts, read 583,487 times
Default any way.....

no matter were they put the gitmo bunch they fear home grown or sleeper cells to plan attachs on the facility.they are p.o.w.s and should be in military work camps eating beans and rice there would be no gitmo gut!look at liveleak.com and see what they do to our troops.then feel sorry for them.like in all wars they need to be held till the end of that war.by our military.not given top notch lawyers.we have hungary people in the u.s.a. why feed them the best? it's all upside down.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:11 PM

16,112 posts, read 16,176,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Met, you're up already today.....I learned all these trolling skills from you !
I'm going to look at a dead bear today that my cousin did the taxidermy on about thirty years ago.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:07 PM

21,047 posts, read 22,904,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post
Well we seem to still pride our self on our self sustainment. I understand we are a hub, but what about all the money that is also pumped into the other little villages around here? I am not saying let people starve, but you can't live in a "self sustaining community" and live on food stamps... your no longer self sustaining... at that point you need to move to a place where you can actually get a job.

However, bethel even as a hub, does not generate as much profits as we have brought in to us the flat rate mail that gets sent in and out takes a loss almost every time its being sent. We would not generate any form of sustainable income or food, if we did not have so much federal and state money coming in to support us.

I love bethel, and I am using it as my example because thats where I live, but I have a friend up in Nome, and its the same way up there, at least before they used to have gold, but they don't have that any more, now its just a town that should die but can't. In the lower 48 they turn into ghost towns and people move on to the next town, but here we can't do that because there is no next town to move on to... which is sucky because now we are forced to keep open this crappy villages that no longer serve a purpose. I am sure that it would be cheaper to setup a village in montana somewhere for these people and fly them all out to it, and start them up again... then it would be to keep them in some of these towns such as Oscarville or Kipnuk (obviously the upfront cost would be high, but it would save money later on). I know that would never happen and that sounds horrible, but the best options never sound good. The worst options always sound best ironically enough...
However, sometimes what sounds best is best, but the natives wont support it...
Natives wont allow us to put up a wind farm which could easily power Bethel, because it goes against the native ways or some BS, but powering generators by diesel is SOOO much more native. I forgot that two hundred years ago the people were kyaking out to anchorage to pick up more diesel fuel for their generators.

I am even almost falling in love with the beauty of Bethel, though I would still prefer to be in Cordova or somewhere else that is beautiful.

I am kinda rambling, my tl;dr is:
I love bethel, but I don't think it pays for itself to function. I don't think most towns pay for themselves to function, but most of all I feel that its the native corps who are out here (as in Alaska not Bethel) who are only looking out for the management and not for the people of the land.
It's not the Natives that don't want it, we're all for it. It's the private company Bethel Utilities Corporation who doesn't want to put up the wind farm. We'd do anything to stop overpaying for the electricity we get here. If the Natives are against it, why do they have wind farms in Kasigluk, Toksook Bay, and Kwigillingok?

BUC says that the wind farm won't work with the outdated system they have here. They don't want us to pay for cheaper electricity.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:49 PM

471 posts, read 659,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
It's not the Natives that don't want it, we're all for it. It's the private company Bethel Utilities Corporation who doesn't want to put up the wind farm. We'd do anything to stop overpaying for the electricity we get here. If the Natives are against it, why do they have wind farms in Kasigluk, Toksook Bay, and Kwigillingok?

BUC says that the wind farm won't work with the outdated system they have here. They don't want us to pay for cheaper electricity.
Thats the first I have heard about this... Everyone has told me it was the natives who do not want to put it up.

Btw welcome back friend, hope all is well with you.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,741 times
It's not bunk -- TSA is hiring screeners for Adak.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:49 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,892,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dennis View Post
It's not bunk -- TSA is hiring screeners for Adak.
Since there's scheduled air service into Adak it would be a requirement to have TSA personnel there. It's not any kind of omen that this alone is an indicator of anything special happening there.

The TSA is hiring security screeners in over 50 airports nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska