U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 05:04 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,756,125 times

Advertisements

Folks thinking of coming to Alaska to get away from it all and live wild and free off the land might want to watch the "reality" show about the Kilcher family in Seldovia. They have 600 acres worth of homestead and a couple generations of experience behind them and they still have to work hard at it...although they might be doing a bit of embellishment for the sake of entertainment.

For those who are thinking they will come here and be a Jeremiah Johnson woodhick living off their rifle and their skills, I would suggest that there are easier places to make that happen. It's not impossible of course, plenty of folks have but if you have to ask the internet about it you likely aren't ready.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,602,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Folks thinking of coming to Alaska to get away from it all and live wild and free off the land might want to watch the "reality" show about the Kilcher family in Seldovia. They have 600 acres worth of homestead and a couple generations of experience behind them and they still have to work hard at it...although they might be doing a bit of embellishment for the sake of entertainment.

For those who are thinking they will come here and be a Jeremiah Johnson woodhick living off their rifle and their skills, I would suggest that there are easier places to make that happen. It's not impossible of course, plenty of folks have but if you have to ask the internet about it you likely aren't ready.
Most do not know how good they have it. Not only does subsistence living mean working hard every day to ensure one's survival, it also means a very limited variety of foods for very long periods. Granted, working for one's self is far more gratifying than working for someone else, but an injury or illness could make the difference between surviving and not.

Before modern conveniences, like electricity, refrigeration, indoor plumbing, improved diet, and advances in medicine, life expectancies were almost half of what they are today, with good reason.

I disagree with you concerning the Internet. I think it is a useful tool, and like any tool it depends on how you use it. People who are seriously considering the possibility of moving off the grid into the bush should have a realistic perspective of what they may expect. It is one thing to go on a camping trip, bringing all your food with you, and something completely different than living off the land.

As you said, it can be, and has been, done. However, it was not done easily, even by those who had the necessary skills. How many even know what a draw blade or adze is, much less how to use them? An overwhelming amount of knowledge has been lost since the nineteen century. Or more accurately, a great deal of knowledge has been replaced in the last century with our advances to a more modern, easier, and more convenient life-style.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:14 PM

68 posts, read 90,240 times
Slightly different circumstances here, between my annual veggie garden, about 4000 square feet and my hunting, we get plenty to eat, sometimes we do go out and buy other stuff, like Oranges, can't grow Oranges down here, do have apples, watermelon, cantaloupe, figs, several varieties of lettuce, several varieties of tomato, spinach, corn, pumpkin, pecans...I don't do peas or beans, because, when I did, the deer can't stand the temptation and come in my garden and try their best to clean me out.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,948,189 times
If "PooP" hit the fan, and it required for everyone to survive on what they have, unless you're off the road system, when things went down the toilet, people here wouldn't fair out very well. First thing there would be a run on all the stores if the Weekly ships don't bring food in.

You have two roads headed out of Anchorage and most folks there would be on them heavily armed and looking to feed their families. So putting a couple hundred thousand people driving North on two lane roads isn't going to bode well for those with massive storage and gardens. The crowds of people would be like locusts run amok.

Any moose along the road system would be gone in a matter of weeks, and then nothing.

Places along the coast without road access would fair out much better because they already know each other and can pool resources and the sea has good resources.

Wouldn't be a good time for anyone... Unless of course we blow the bridges heading North and South out of Anchorage......

Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,756,125 times
you won't have to blow up the bridges. As soon as TSHTF and the panic sets in, the roads will become impassable from inevitable wreckage and from that point it's all on foot. The shakeout from such an event would be short, sharp and very harsh, but as for the rest of that scenario, yep. Available resources will be stripped bare and worse will be the long term damage to game populations.

And, the Glenn highway isn't getting any farther from the river. In some spots the river is right up to the highway. I wonder if the state has taken notice with all the recent flooding?

Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,346,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post

I watch Alaska:The Final Frontier with the Kilcher family and the thing that sticks out for me is all they do is work. Their lives during every season are constantly full of things they HAVE to do to survive, not much downtime at all. They are doing everything from growing and caring for their garden to fixing fences, rounding up cows, delivering calves, hunting, cutting trees for wood, fishing, making repairs on their homestead, canning and preparing foods to go into cold storage, all kinds of things. They have long dark winters and short summers. I love that show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or