U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:31 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,124,357 times

Advertisements

Met....Maurice isn't telling ya all he knows

He's a retired astronaut...bet ya didn't know that did ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 01:43 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,594,185 times
I'd eat my buddies in a blizzard! Anyone read that book "The Road" yet? Pretty much based along the scenario of the topic here. It's an easy read and one I couldn't put down until finished. It's also a movie now. But pretty much the country is a wasteland from one end to the other. A few bands of freaks that eat anything they can get their hands on including humans.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:10 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,962,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
I think it's common to look at this type of scenario from the wrong perspective. We tend to think of how we, as individuals or families, could survive off of our land or surroundings as they currently exist. However, in a true WTSHTF scenario, nothing will be as it is now. It will be a complete every-man-for-himself free for all where private property rights and boundaries will no longer mean squat, unless enforced at gunpoint.

For example, I often hear hunters brag about how they could sustain themselves indefinitely off the land, or farmers boast about sustainable living. But just think of the consequences of 300+ million people forced to live subsistence lifestyle. It's likely the lower 48 would be stripped clean of all edible plant and animal life (particularly large game animals) within a few weeks or months. There will be nothing left to hunt or farm. Even the relative abundance of Alaska would likely be overrun in short order with 700,000+ hungry mouths to feed.

I still believe the only real commodities worth having in a true meldowwn scenario are copper and lead (ammo), and the personal resolve to use them.
Yep, when "Stuff hits the fan", the cities would drain out and people would be like Locus across the land, if there was a road to it or easy access, it would be gone.

The ability to be self sustaining will be for not if you aren't part of an armed comunity that can protect what they have or you live so far off the beaten trail that even God can't find you.

In the event that the Shipments by ship were interupted to Anchorage, the stores would be picked clean in a matter of days once word got out that there were issues with resupply.

Yeah, living off the wildlife is a posibilty if you were out away from the road system, because everyone else would be shooting anything that moved off the road ways. Some of the towns on the road system may blow bridges like in Healy over the Nenana River to stop the Anchorage traffic from coming North as well as the bridge from Fairbanks. That would effectively give them the National park to get wildlife from without the masses.

Towns in Southeast Alaska because of their isolation, could do better since food from the sea is a bit easier to access, but without fuel, even that will become and issue, sails would have to be used and the art of sailing will need to be relearned for a lot of the fishermen. Since they have no roads, those the show up will do so from places like Seattle by their own boats and I would doubt they would be very welcomed in those areas unless they can prove they have a service the comunity needs like being a doctor or the like.

Last edited by starlite9; 01-14-2010 at 04:22 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 04:16 PM

34,718 posts, read 42,870,105 times
We definitely have all the raw materials, but none of the skills. We have 16 acres, a pond, woods and fields, so could grow crops, hunt deer and fish, and have plenty of firewood. We stink at manual labor, but I suppose survival is a huge motivator.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:39 PM

6,922 posts, read 11,719,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Truth hurts doesn't it stiffer... git used to it as its headed your way big time

Knew a miserable dick like you in Haines...sure you remember him, Ike Lorentz
He did far more for Alaska then you'll ever dream of doing.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:01 PM

20,470 posts, read 26,600,256 times
That book sounds pretty interesting; I'll have to look for in on Powell's online.

Quote:
The ability to be self sustaining will be for not if you aren't part of an armed comunity that can protect what they have or you live so far off the beaten trail that even God can't find you.
One thing we'd have to be aware of in SE is that since we are relatively inaccessible, the people who did eventually find us would be different than the average Anchoragite et al; they'd most likely be members of the seine fleet; I think they'd be welcomed. There aren't so many of them that they'd be a burden, and they're strong people.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:18 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,295,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
see three types of approaches to the situation: parasite, isolationist, and small community.
There is probably a fourth possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet either. Once the apocalypse scenario hits, whatever remants of authority/government would likely try to establish some type of martial law, undoubtedly proclaiming any and all resources owned by private individuals as "state property" and subject to confiscation for the "greater good". Large, self-sufficient communities would be easy prey in such a situation.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:29 PM

846 posts, read 1,623,610 times
true, they could be...but only if it were economical!
(i.e. if the community is remote enough to be such a pain to exploit/push around, they might not even bother...)

Old 01-14-2010, 05:32 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,295,746 times
yea, how big could you get without popping up on someone's radar?

Old 01-14-2010, 05:37 PM

846 posts, read 1,623,610 times
oh, not very big. i'd just like to think that if you're the right size in the right place, they might just leave you alone. alaska definitely offers the best chances for that...

then there's another issue: if there's a SHTF situation and alaska attempted independence, do you think the mainland would try to keep it, or focus on problems closer to home? would their resources already be stretched so thin as to make it less feasible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or