Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:47 PM

4 posts, read 8,875 times

Advertisements

sounds perfect and any info would be much appreciated. its been quite difficult to get any helpful info from people for some reason. if u do happen to find out anything, my email is @gmail.com. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
this summer
Summer??? Everyone's wearing parkas!

Old 01-17-2010, 08:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsnozzcumbers View Post
sounds perfect and any info would be much appreciated. its been quite difficult to get any helpful info from people for some reason. if u do happen to find out anything, my email is @gmail.com. thanks
I'll look around tomorrow and try to find out if it's still available.

It isn't that people here aren't helpful, but most of us on the Alaska forum just aren't that tuned in to real estate besides Marty.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:10 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsnozzcumbers View Post
oh im sure...
after graduating college and spending a little time in the navy(retired me early do to an illness), id like to take some time off to write. ive had a fondness for the alaskan wilderness for as long as i can remember.

do u know of any such cabin/shack that is available or even who i could ask?
There are state owned cabins you can inhabit for a short time, but need reservations and I assume you are looking for a longer time period...check ahead though...or you need to find someone with shack in the boonies to work out a deal....I would test the situation before jumping in head first though, depending on where you want to be....

Old 01-17-2010, 09:16 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
The Forest Service cabins are a good way to get a taste of wilderness living...they will even fly you out there and pick you up:

U.S. Forest Service Cabins

Old 03-27-2010, 04:19 AM

33 posts, read 57,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
Nice one Rance :P You should get a carfax on that badboy though!

Here is one of my favorite websites to browse for remote Alaska properties..
Alaska's Remote Property LLC, Anchorage, Alaska
It might be a bit unrealistic to own most of these, but fun to fantasize about.
The disclaimer says that it MAY NOT be suitable for year-round living. They should show some photos, taken around Dec 21.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:03 AM

204 posts, read 472,082 times
Rance, you built that cabin from scratch or from a kit? How long did it take to build?

Old 03-27-2010, 03:01 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
I built it from scratch. Whats standing there took about 3 months...working on it nearly every day for the first month...then weekends the second 2 months. From dropping the trees to make a clearing, to installing doors and windows.
I had to haul everything over with my boat 5 miles one way. Including 40 of the 16' log's.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:19 PM

204 posts, read 472,082 times
If you don't mind, how much did it cost you to build? Also, where'd you learn to build a log cabin? This is kinda my goal; to build my own home. I don't mind buying a nice piece of land because I figure it's a little easier to save up for. It's the 30 year mortgage that gets me a bit bummed out. lol

Old 03-27-2010, 06:03 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAFBoundYankee View Post
If you don't mind, how much did it cost you to build? Also, where'd you learn to build a log cabin? This is kinda my goal; to build my own home. I don't mind buying a nice piece of land because I figure it's a little easier to save up for. It's the 30 year mortgage that gets me a bit bummed out. lol
Your question is a bit like asking a gal how much does it cost to have a baby from conception to birth...

As far as what kind of cabin to build, there are books all over the
place that will give you a wide selection of designs.

The cost of Rance's cabin would be hard to put a price on it. Even if the logs were free, the amount of labor required to get them, cut, haul and hoist into place is very labor intensive. The door and window hard ware is whatever the local market sells them for, then you have to transport them to the site.

Starters, you need to buy the land you want to build on, a place with waterfront isn't cheap. But it does make the place more accessible by floatplane in the summer.

In Rance's case he needed a boat, when I built mine, I needed a heavey work snowmachine, others need a fourwheeler... Horses are optional and require their own support system. Those items alone can be thousands of dollars before you even start thecabin if you want a remote site.

Lots of planning before you just pick up an axe and head out into the woods...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska