Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,081,021 times

Advertisements

OP watched Into the Wild.

Now they too have a deathwish like that idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 10:04 AM

854 posts, read 1,964,089 times
i wish people would stop bringing that movie up.

people have been wanting to move to remote places and live simply long before that ever existed...

Old 01-22-2010, 10:20 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,104,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
i wish people would stop bringing that movie up.

people have been wanting to move to remote places and live simply long before that ever existed...
There is a big difference between --"wanting" --and following it up with a good, well thought out plan, and wishing without a real plan in place.

Sounds to me like the OP fits the--"wishing"--description.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:56 PM

128 posts, read 293,511 times
Thumbs up good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampneuma View Post
My husband and I are desperately looking for a place in rural Alaska to live in. With only enough money for necessities we are hoping it's for free. We are hoping to homestead and raise a family. We hope, really, really hope someone is willing to let us move into their land..if you have a large amount of land. We are planning on building a small natural home. For more info please contact me. Thank you for reading this.

Laurel
I grew up with a dad that taught me how to hunt and fish and be really cold and be tough about it. My dream was to move to Alaska, I lived in the bush for 8 years with my husband; which taught me even more than I could have imagined. I now live on my own, with no running water, only a woodstove for heat that sometimes is out if I have to work a 12 hour shift., and I have to walk into my cabin late at night with only a flashlight; can be scarey when the bears are prowling and this year I have a moose living beside my cabin that I always have to watch for. When we get snow by the feet I have a lot of shoveling to do, of course some of it goes into buckets to melt so I can get a bath. Atleast come and check it out first, spend time here before moving. Understand it's a harsh climate! Even in the summer! And living off the land here is not anything you can imagine until you visit. Make sure you really know. and Good luck

Old 01-22-2010, 05:52 PM

97 posts, read 231,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampneuma View Post
My husband and I are desperately looking for a place in rural Alaska to live in. With only enough money for necessities we are hoping it's for free. We are hoping to homestead and raise a family. We hope, really, really hope someone is willing to let us move into their land..if you have a large amount of land. We are planning on building a small natural home. For more info please contact me. Thank you for reading this.

Laurel

Swamp land is cheap in florida, buy some. build a house on stilts and eat all those gators floatin by. Its about as good of a plan.

Cheers, and good luck.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:39 PM

126 posts, read 379,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdontcare View Post
Oh no! Does that mean you don't like me any more?

How am I going to sleep?

ltdontcare- L T dont care just thought I would break it down for you, Elly Mae.

I'm making a point here, my ex-friend (sigh). Just with the liability alone, who in their right mind would go along with letting someone live on their land, with or without a contract of any kind, let alone all of the other affore mentioned reasons.

Oh,what about that Vette?

A more more temperate area where land is cheaper..Never mind.
I don't disagree with the point you were trying to make.

Your point couldn't be made without insulting the 25 million+ people that live in the cultural region known as Appalachia? The vast majority of which have their teeth, wear shoes, don't have a still in their backyard and don't marry their sister. That stereotype is as ignorant as any racial stereotype but I am guessing you don't have a problem doing that either.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:12 PM

310 posts, read 773,107 times
"Your point couldn't be made without insulting the 25 million+ people that live in the cultural region known as Appalachia?"

Nope. I meant every single person there including people just driving through because everyone knows that every single stereotype fits every single person of that race, religion, personal belief, geographic region, height, weight or any other group. Besides, not everyone has a sister.

What are you hiding? If I offend anyone by anything I could say, they must have some underlying problems, secrets or guilt of something

Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,745,965 times
OP....find someplace closer to you warmer before venturing to AK...you cannot afford it...do the learning in a warmer climate, then venture north, especially with no funds to support your venture....

Old 01-22-2010, 11:15 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehop View Post
I grew up with a dad that taught me how to hunt and fish and be really cold and be tough about it. My dream was to move to Alaska, I lived in the bush for 8 years with my husband; which taught me even more than I could have imagined. I now live on my own, with no running water, only a woodstove for heat that sometimes is out if I have to work a 12 hour shift., and I have to walk into my cabin late at night with only a flashlight; can be scarey when the bears are prowling and this year I have a moose living beside my cabin that I always have to watch for. When we get snow by the feet I have a lot of shoveling to do, of course some of it goes into buckets to melt so I can get a bath. Atleast come and check it out first, spend time here before moving. Understand it's a harsh climate! Even in the summer! And living off the land here is not anything you can imagine until you visit. Make sure you really know. and Good luck
That moose outside your cabin reminds me of an old Alaska saying that goes as, "don't eat the yellow snow"

Old 01-23-2010, 05:43 PM

128 posts, read 293,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That moose outside your cabin reminds me of an old Alaska saying that goes as, "don't eat the yellow snow"
It's not yellow from the moose like it is from the dog, but thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska