U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 PM

124 posts, read 229,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
The prison is out near Point Mackenzie. It's about 35 miles from the prison to Wasilla. It's actually only about 10 miles from Anchorage, but there is the small problem of Cook Inlet in between.

Right now there is not much there, if the bridge, or even a decent ferry goes in there will be a lot more settlement, but it will have a larger effect on Anchorage than Wasilla. Right now you do need to go through Wasilla to get to Point Mackenzie so there will be some effect, but it isn't like it's right in town. You already have the Palmer Correctional Center about 10 miles out of Palmer, but it has little negative effect on Palmer.
Ok - I didn't look at a map, so did not realize it was closer to Anchorage than Wasilla. It will take me a while to get the hang of where things are.

I know Alaska has been paying to have their inmates housed in other states for a while. I've done some backtracking to read up on how this prison was proposed, argued over and ultimately built where it is. It will be interesting to see whether it stays in the hands of the state or if it will eventually go private, which is a trend in many areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 PM

5,983 posts, read 3,220,776 times
The prison is about 30 miles out of town and most people could care less. You can't even see it as you're driving out to Pt Mac. You have to turn off onto its access road to actually see it.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:42 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,730,733 times
What is the name of....I'm assuming it is a prison, on the other side of Resurrection Bay from Seward, it certainly looked like a prison.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:03 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,887,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
What is the name of....I'm assuming it is a prison, on the other side of Resurrection Bay from Seward, it certainly looked like a prison.
Spring Creek Correctional Center

Old 01-29-2010, 12:27 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,659,231 times
Marty is correct: it's Spring Creek Correctional Center, and I work there in the maintenance dept. Except for both being in the State of Alaska DOC, this facility is totally unrelated to the one they are building at Pt MacKenzie.

Rance and Marty are both correct: Pt MacKenzie is a long ways from "population centers", so is likely the perfect location. Even though it is only 10 miles (as the crow flies) from Anchorage, it might as well be on Mars, because it takes a LONG time to drive there from Anchorage...there isn't any bridge across Cook Inlet.

I don't know about other states, but here when a person is released from prison they are transported back to the city they were originally arrested in, not just "released at the prison gates", as some may think. This helps prevent the "felony flats" thing here. (I don't know if that also applies to someone on parole, because they would have to be living somewhere where a parole officer is)

My only question about the new facility at "Pt Mac" is whether they are going to be able to find enough employees willing to commute the long distance from where they live, out to the prison, and back, every day. As said: Pt Mac is quite a ways from the Matsu Valley, where most of the housing would be. But, maybe now they will start building homes out towards Pt Mac, seeing as how employment will be found there. (?)

The new prison won't house out-of-state prisoners. We don't have enough room for our "resident" prisoners, let alone those from elsewhere. We've been sending hundreds to an outside prison in Arizona (and now Colorado) for years, because there is no room for them here. That's one of the chief reasons we're building the new prison at Pt Mac...

Bud

Old 01-30-2010, 11:00 AM

Default Place of Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I don't know about other states, but here when a person is released from prison they are transported back to the city they were originally arrested in, not just "released at the prison gates", as some may think. This helps prevent the "felony flats" thing here. (I don't know if that also applies to someone on parole, because they would have to be living somewhere where a parole officer is)
Bud
Hi Bud - In Washington State the law is that inmates are released to the county of their FIRST offence. In Alaska do they do to Borough of most recent offence?

Where do they house women inmates in Alaska?

Old 01-31-2010, 01:28 AM

5,983 posts, read 3,220,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malagagirl View Post
Hi Bud - In Washington State the law is that inmates are released to the county of their FIRST offence. In Alaska do they do to Borough of most recent offence?

Where do they house women inmates in Alaska?
In Alaska prisoners are provided transportation to the place of their arrest irregardless of whether they are off of paper or doing parole/probation. I can't imagine why WA would send ex cons back to the place of their first offence. What if that was 40 years ago?

Women are housed at Hiland Mountain Correctional Center in Eagle River. The facility is just off the Glenn Highway where it dips down just before crossing the river.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 AM

Default Offender Re-Entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I can't imagine why WA would send ex cons back to the place of their first offence. What if that was 40 years ago?
Tell me about it! This was the brain (?) child of Senator Mike Carrell who in my opinion sold the state a bill of goods.

The law (SB 6157) (http://wallawallastar.blogspot.com/2009/05/sb-6157.html - broken link)was enacted in 2007 in response to concerns that a lot of released inmates were congregating in Pierce County (where most of the re-entry resources and services were). So "Get-Tough-On-Crime" Carrell promised his constituents that he would "turn off the felony faucet" and find a "more equitable" way of distributing those bad guys throughout the state. End result? If a person did something stupid when they were 18 in Walla Walla county, later moved to a completely different part of the state and established a life, then get's re-arrested 20 yrs later and does time in prison, when he/she gets out they get sent back to Walla Walla upon release and must stay in there to serve out their probation/parole if they didn't time out inside. This happens even if the person never did time in Walla Walla on the first offence so long as they were ARRESTED and CONVICTED there.

I have seen DOC make SOME exceptions when a person has an extensive network of support (family/job/etc) in another area but it is a huge hassle to get that approved, completely at the discretion of DOC, and for someone with marginal support elsewhere it can often mean they are stuck in a place where they have nothing and do not want to be.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,241,430 times
Well, I do have to say that Alaska gives more docile sounding names to their prisons. The women's prison "Hiland Mountain" sounds more imposing than what I have heard to be the maximum security men's prison - Spring Creek. Palmer sounds - OK - much better than prisons in my home states - Monroe, Walla Walla, San Quentin, Folsom, ect...

Is Robert Hanson(Anchorage baker turned serial killer in 1980's) at Spring Creek CC?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,068,852 times
It's way, way, way outside of Wasilla down KGB road in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or