U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2010, 04:19 PM

225 posts, read 613,028 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am curious if anyone in any part of Alaska has ever had any kind of personal experience with wolverines and what your story or observations might be. I have found many resources on the Internet that describe these animals but I am more curious as to any personal experiences some may have had. I am presently writing a story where a wolverine is one of the main characters and while the resources I have found are informative personal stories can also add a great deal to the nature of these animals. Thanks to all who reply and feel free to DM if you so choose.

Wandering Spirit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 05:02 PM

15,008 posts, read 25,335,932 times
When I moved into my house...one was living under the entryway which is on pilings. He hung around for a few months and never gave me any trouble. Lot's of squirrels and rabbits around here. One morning I stepped out behind the house with a cup of coffee looking and planning my yard clearing. I looked down and there he was about 3 feet away...looking around the yard like me. He gave me a glance and lumbered off into the woods. Never saw him again. I'm just glad he didn't chew my leg off.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:12 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,998,727 times
Had a few experiences with them during my trapping days including one in which I was face to face with a snarling wolverine that wanted to rip me apart, he almost got me too. Suffice it to say that they are about as tough an animal as there is for their size.

I got a good photo of a dead one last week...maybe I can attach it later.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:14 PM

21,040 posts, read 22,808,368 times
They are the only animal that can stand up to both brown and black bears.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 PM

740 posts, read 1,202,332 times
Good thing they are fairly small. Imagine a wolvering the size of a brown bear? Yikes. Pound for pound one of the most powerful, and outright mean animals out there. I have heard of many cases where a momma wolverine manages to drive off a bear 20 times there size.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 PM

225 posts, read 613,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Had a few experiences with them during my trapping days including one in which I was face to face with a snarling wolverine that wanted to rip me apart, he almost got me too. Suffice it to say that they are about as tough an animal as there is for their size.

I got a good photo of a dead one last week...maybe I can attach it later.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Marty, I'd really like to hear more about this encounter and what transpired during it and how long it lasted (seconds? minutes? who "gave up" first?). This is the essence of what I am looking for.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 PM

6,271 posts, read 8,030,826 times
Some people claimed they are really smart, I don't share that view though. They are hard headed and will chew a leg/arm off to get out of a trap, but also very easy to trap, even with an missing limb.

They will go through your camp and what they don't eat, they will P**S on everything else, which stinks almost as bad as a skunk and requires everything being thrown out.

Pound for pound though, a ten ounce Ermin is about the meanest critter around. If they were the size of a wolverine, they would shred anything around.

During the EXXON Valdez Oil Spill, I had one keep coming down to where my crews were cleaning up in the Katmai National Park area... (About where Timothy Treadwell got eaten)

Since we were in the Park, we had to get off the beach to let it pass, which it did after going over the shovels, bags and other work related equipment and P*****G on everything. Did it almost daily until we were done and left the area. Wouldn't bother with the oiled bags of debree though, just sniffed them and moved on... guess they already stank...

Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 AM

843 posts, read 1,083,737 times
that's a pretty hilarious story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska