Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:56 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,606,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
My 2 favorite places in Barrow to eat were Same & Lee's (some locals call in Sam & Flea's...lol) and Northern Lights (I think that's what its called, their Pizza was awesome...better than Arctic Pizza). I have heard Arctic Pizza used to be the best several years ago. Pepe's was good but not my favorite.....Fran was a hoot though and the pictures are awesome. Nothing like going up to Barrow for your first time with people that grew up there and haven't visited in a long time. It ends up becoming a huge family reunion. The sense of community there is awesome. The Dance is hilarious and the Airport is a social event.
Wow. You nailed it!

Sam & Sleaze ? We were all glad the original owner's name wasn't Ella...

Arctic Pizza is now under old management! (The jerk who has been running it for the past several years left and went back to Los Angeles. His wife was nice, and his daughter was the most precious little kid at 4 or 5 years old that you've ever seen; but the guy was a jerk!) Anyway, things aren't like they were 12-15 years ago, but Arctic Pizza is a good place to eat now.

The people who own Northern Lights are both wonderful, and they have some of the best kids imaginable (and now grandchildren too!). The only problem I have is with the idiots they hire! We quit going there because one waitress refused to make coffee for us...

Pepe's is Fran and Joe the Waterman. Foods okay too, but it cost too much.

The "community" and family relationships are actually about the same in virtually every Alaskan village. If you had never seen that in action before, it would certainly be overwhelming! The basic rule is, don't ever say anything bad about anyone unless you are their cousin, because whoever you are talking to is probably their cousin and will take offense if it isn't family gossip! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 09:49 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,083,432 times
For sure, you have to get to the service at restaurant in Barrow. On more than one occasion I had to get up to grab my own 'pop' from the cooler or get up to grab your own napkin or silverware. Haha, it was funny. While I was up coming back from the restroom my wife told me to grab a 'pop' out of the cooler. I was like, "I can;t do that, they have to bring it to us." She laughed at me since she grew up there and told me not to worry, its the way things work. lol Now that I think about it, I was being pretty silly. I would like to go back and visit in the summertime. Last time I was there it was February and VERY cold -40 ambient. I looooove partying with Barrow people when they visit Anchorage. Hahahah it gets downright crazy!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:20 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,254,409 times
Quote:
For sure, you have to get to the service at restaurant in Barrow. On more than one occasion I had to get up to grab my own 'pop' from the cooler or get up to grab your own napkin or silverware. Haha, it was funny. While I was up coming back from the restroom my wife told me to grab a 'pop' out of the cooler. I was like, "I can;t do that, they have to bring it to us." She laughed at me since she grew up there and told me not to worry, its the way things work.
I don't think that's just Barrow. It's like that in lot of small town restaurants and shops in Texas and the South - you just sort of make yourself at home. I like it, myself.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I don't think that's just Barrow. It's like that in lot of small town restaurants and shops in Texas and the South - you just sort of make yourself at home. I like it, myself.

Yeah, I can see that. The only difference is that you don;t pay $14 for a regular no frills Hamburger in a small town in Texas and $3 for a Pepsi. lol Its truly amazing how much stuff costs in Barrow.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:01 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,606,119 times
Quote:
For sure, you have to get to the service at restaurant in Barrow. On more than one occasion I had to get up to grab my own 'pop' from the cooler or get up to grab your own napkin or silverware. Haha, it was funny. While I was up coming back from the restroom my wife told me to grab a 'pop' out of the cooler. I was like, "I can;t do that, they have to bring it to us." She laughed at me since she grew up there and told me not to worry, its the way things work. lol Now that I think about it, I was being pretty silly.
You certainly are allowed to get your own drinks from the cooler; and if you get up and refill your coffee it is polite to look around the room to see who else needs a cup topped off.

Just one thing you do not ever want to let Mrs. Kim see you try to do is slip a cup in under the thing in place of the pot while it is brewing to get a refill before the pot is full. Too many people spill it doing that, and she has a real fit. (I'm the only one who ever gets away with doing that and remaining unscathed; but we play games about it all the time, cause I'll have an equal fit it she does it!)

Some of the fun things that regulars to is wait tables when someone like you is there. We can tell you aren't going to get fed, so we do something about it. The morning cook is not really a short order cook, and makes meals one at a time. So even getting his attention can be difficult. I don't do it, but my friend answers the phone and takes orders almost any time he is there. I'm sort of in charge of keeping the credit card reader, the cash register, and the phones working.

Quote:
I would like to go back and visit in the summertime. Last time I was there it was February and VERY cold -40 ambient. I looooove partying with Barrow people when they visit Anchorage. Hahahah it gets downright crazy!
It's a little warmer this winter, mostly in the -20s, a few times colder than -35F.

We all like partying with Anchorage people too! Ha ha, down right crazy! :-) (Actually that is true. Most of the Anchorage people who ever visit Barrow are very adventurous and very interesting.)

Old 02-25-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
We all like partying with Anchorage people too! Ha ha, down right crazy! :-) (Actually that is true. Most of the Anchorage people who ever visit Barrow are very adventurous and very interesting.)
AHHHH HAAA! Floyd, we just discovered the Anchorage/Barrow party phenomenon. See, everytime people come down and visit from Barrow we know there is going to be a party. Often, I think "Oh geeze, its going to be a late night and fun night cuz those Barrow Boys/Girls are going to want to be out late tonight!" It sounds like the conversations in Barrow go something like "Oh geeze, its going to be a long and crazy night cuz those Anchorage Peeps are coming to town"

All this time I always thought we partied crazy like that cuz Barrow people were in town and I bet all this time I bet you guys partied like crazy cuz Anchorage people were in town. Or perhaps......we just always party crazy. I am beginning to confuse myself.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,555 times
Default info regarding Barrow

Hello! I am possibly going to be relocating to Barrow with a job. I have looked at many internet pages and have found some very interesting information. I am however, having trouble finding info on apartments/duplexes to rent and the cost of utilities. Can anyone help with this please?

Thxs

Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,605,548 times
Good luck. No rental information to my knowledge is posted anywhere on the internets. You should ask your prospective employer for help with this. That's probably going to be your best initial source of information.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 PM

7 posts, read 13,032 times
Hello Boys ... everything ok? This week was tough! is said to Barrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska