Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:30 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times

Advertisements

adn.com | Heather Lende: Around Alaska

This is the link to the Haines Alaska columnist that really shows what a community is like and has info on some of the characters she knows and loves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 11:01 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,963 times
Default just read her book

My family is considering a move to Haines, and I just finished reading her book "If you lived here I'd know your name". I thought it was interesting, but my wife thinks its depressing. Maybe the title ought to have been "If you died here, I'd have written about your name". Admittedly since Lende writes all the obits for the local paper a lot of her stories involve death and tragedy, but its still a good way to get a feel for the community. I still liked the book, and I've read her columns archived on the ADN website so I think I've got a pretty good feel for the flavor of Hanies, at least from Heathers viewpoint. We'll be traveling there in a couple of weeks, so I guess we'll be finding out for ourselves.

I'd still welcome any input from folks currently living in Haines, or anyone that used to live there.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,381 times
Default Lende's book

I liked the book as well. It was straight forward and showed a sense of community. Two qualities in great shortage.

Please keep in touch about your move to Haines, if you don't mind. You may email me directly about it. I have plans to make that move next summer as well.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:18 PM

395 posts, read 1,717,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
My family is considering a move to Haines, and I just finished reading her book "If you lived here I'd know your name". I thought it was interesting, but my wife thinks its depressing. Maybe the title ought to have been "If you died here, I'd have written about your name". Admittedly since Lende writes all the obits for the local paper a lot of her stories involve death and tragedy, but its still a good way to get a feel for the community. I still liked the book, and I've read her columns archived on the ADN website so I think I've got a pretty good feel for the flavor of Hanies, at least from Heathers viewpoint. We'll be traveling there in a couple of weeks, so I guess we'll be finding out for ourselves.

I'd still welcome any input from folks currently living in Haines, or anyone that used to live there.
Hi Rotor' & City'
Rotor,I thot U were there already. U should get her autographed copy. Who nos. She may be a famous author worldwide one of these days. Regards to your family

City" , I probably will see U and Rotor there next year. Who nos? We may all get together one of these days. Especially if I find my dream home there coming Summer. Do any of U play bridge? It is something to do to pass those long nites.
Of course my plan may change. As of late, I've found I have an allergic reaction to some seafood. Love of seafood was one of the reason for me relocate. I am wondering if the daily feast of crab last Summer overloaded my system when I was in Haines.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:23 AM

Default mmmm, crab!

Howdy back atcha.

Yep, all moved up here but certainly not all unpacked yet. We ended up with a place that has no garage, so there's a lot of stuff that's going to struggling to find a place until we at least get a storage shed built.

Man, I DO love the crab here, and the shrimp too. Wish the silvers were biting a bit more willingly though, and it's a shame that the halibut is so far out.

Oh well, guess we'll have to start looking at boats...

Old 10-16-2007, 03:32 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
You know you live in Alaska when a 4-wheeler becomes the primary mode of transport and a boat is no longer a "luxury".

Old 10-18-2007, 02:19 PM

75 posts, read 329,626 times
Recent contributions to Anchorage Daily News by Heather Lende.... very good reading

adn.com | Heather Lende: Around Alaska

Old 10-19-2007, 02:21 AM

Default ran into her

I just ran into her the other day (in a bookstore, curiously enough), seemed like a nice enough gal.

Her hubby had plenty of company in the "illegal moose" category this year, the jerk they imported from Juneau who was in charge of deciding these things ended up confiscating about 20% of the harvest in this area. The new rules regarding damaged antlers have stirred up quite a bit of controversy hereabouts, they're totally unworkable in the field. There's been several articles in the local newpaper discussing in some detail how arbitrary and punitive the atmosphere was at the check point.

It's safe to say that there are a lot of hard feelings left over from the way things turned out this season, apparently the guys new nickname is "Moose-a-lini".

Old 11-08-2007, 09:08 AM

12 posts, read 31,665 times
Hah, Moose-a-lini! This is Haines politics at it's best. I grew up in Haines and moved out when I left for college. Great place to live, but let me warn you: you're in for a surprise this winter . I still have relatives-by-marriage there, but then again half the town's related by marriage at some point.
Heather is a "nice gal" for certain; and beleive me, once you've lived there for a while, you'd know of anything not-so-nice she'd ever done--as goes for anyone else in Haines--small town gossip travels fast. I carried her groceries out to her truck when I worked in the 1 of 2 grocery stores during my high school years. Loved her book, really made me feel like moving back.
One thing you should know: Heather could have easily written a totally different book and called it "If you lived here, I'd know your secrets". Probably nothing worse went on in Haines than any other town, but it's small enough that you knew about it. And sadly, too much is too close to home to ever get reported. *shudder*
Enjoy the northern lights on my behalf this winter, and I'll enjoy the daylight on yours.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:08 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,416,728 times
I am from Haines and know Heather personally. I havent read her book yet, I am planning on it though. I know I have made it one of her columns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska