U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:12 PM

234 posts, read 393,520 times
Question Driving from Alaska through Canada, and down into the Lower 48 - What do I need (pets & firearms included)?

We are driving from Alaska into Canada and then straight into Washington, U.S.

Never made this drive before. Bringing pets and possibly firearms and would like to know what paperwork is needed! I am wanting to hear from people who made the trip within the last year or so - I know a lot has changed in the past few years (Passport required now, right? ).

I've heard you need health certificates for all pets and I've also heard all you need is proof of rabies ...and re: firearms what to expect if I'm trying to bring along rifles & shotguns? I hear it's a no-go for pistols .

Thanks for reading & any comments would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,445,373 times
First thing to do is to read the multiple threads on this forum dealing with this subject in detail.
Second: The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:36 PM

20,982 posts, read 21,698,871 times
Visit the Canada Firearms Centre online at Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Canadian Firearms Program | Gendarmerie royale du Canada - Programme canadien des armes feu and go to Information for Visitors/Non-Residents and click on “I am a gun user visiting Canada” for details on classes of firearms and documentation required to lawfully import and possess firearms in Canada.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:37 PM

20,982 posts, read 21,698,871 times
The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner - Crossing the Border

Canadian Firearms Program

Old 02-26-2010, 04:47 PM

5,964 posts, read 6,849,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
We are driving from Alaska into Canada and then straight into Washington, U.S.

Never made this drive before. Bringing pets and possibly firearms and would like to know what paperwork is needed! I am wanting to hear from people who made the trip within the last year or so - I know a lot has changed in the past few years (Passport required now, right? ).

I've heard you need health certificates for all pets and I've also heard all you need is proof of rabies ...and re: firearms what to expect if I'm trying to bring along rifles & shotguns? I hear it's a no-go for pistols .

Thanks for reading & any comments would be appreciated!

We've made the trip within the past year and yes, for your pets you need to be sure they have their vaccinations up to date. They always ask to see the rabies shot verification. Also ask your vet for a Certificate of Health, it does not hurt to have this just in case they ask for it.

You must have either a passport or enhanced drivers license. I recommend the passport. If you haven't already done so, go to the post office and fill out the paperwork. You'll need your birth certificate for them to send in and it will be mailed back to you.

As far as transporting guns, read the info above from the posters, it contains the info needed. When you are planning on leaving AK. ?

Old 02-26-2010, 04:51 PM

5,154 posts, read 8,713,937 times
The health certificate is a entry into Alaska requirement. Canada just needs rabies shot verification. Washington may require either, so I would check their website. I was bored so here's what I found:

Animals (moving pets, horses, birds; branding livestock)

I'm moving from overseas to the U.S. and want to bring my pet dog/cat. What are the documents and vaccinations I need?

The state of Washington requires a health certificate issued within 30 days of shipment and a current rabies vaccination. The Washington State Department of Agriculture accepts a one-year or three-year vaccine. Family pet dogs and cats traveling by private vehicle with their owners are exempt from the health certificate requirement. Owners must possess a current valid rabies certificate for these animals. This exemption does not apply to dogs or cats imported for sale or to puppies or kittens too young to vaccinate. You may call (360) 902-1878 with questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Since the pet are traveling with you, you don't need the health certificate, just the rabies verification.

Here's a link for firearms:

bsf5082 Information for Visitors to Canada and Seasonal Residents

Old 02-26-2010, 04:52 PM

639 posts, read 1,197,269 times
We are making the exact same trip as you in June. We drove to AK in 2008 and we brought pets but no firearms after doing all the reading and talking to people in the governments I decided that I did NOT want to jump through all those hoops. You would do much better to just mail your guns to yourself via priority mail. From what I have found out by talking to people 1 of which has a husband that works at the Canadian boarder if you bring 1 firearm they are going to search you looking for 1 you may not have declared thus you maybe stuck there for hours and they are also going to question you very throughly. They are picky enough without adding to the element.
When are you planning on going on your trip?

Old 02-26-2010, 06:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 2,326,619 times
As Akck said the health certificate is Alaska requirment. Washington does not require health certificate. Didn't ask for any paperwork on the dog. Canada does require "orginal" rabies certificate. Not a photo copy signed in ink by your vet. On my way up last July Canada didn't ask to see dogs paperwork although I had it, Alaska didn't want to see his health certificate although I had it. One the way back in start of Oct entry into the Yukon coming down they wanted to see rabies certificate. The only border that asked for it.

Still carry originals for pets. I prefer and used the passport. Guns - listen to others but I did have a flare gun for saftey and they didn't mind the bear spray either. My only experience with guns was a trip years ago to Victoria and got stuck for hours while they searched my truck and did checks on us because we forgot to clean out a 22 bullet shell out of the dash compartment. They almost made us go back on the ferry imediately, but again after hours at the border they let us in.

Have a great trip!!

Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 PM

8,672 posts, read 9,561,538 times
They have a form on the Canadian site for long guns and rifles that you can fill out ahead of time and just pay the fee. They did a quickee search on our 5th wheel the first time, the second time didn't even look. They never asked about the dogs either...must have hit a good day.

Okay, so where did you decide to go?

Old 02-27-2010, 04:08 PM

9 posts, read 16,121 times
i would like to bring a my hand gun on our trip to canada for safety since we will be doing a lot of camping... is this going to be more hassle than its worth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska