U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:36 PM

34 posts, read 33,709 times
Default Questions about warrantied items in Juneau

My wife and I are hoping to live in Juneau in the not-too-far-distant future and often discuss how we'd handle various adjustments in our daily lives.

One of our favorite ways to relax at the end of the day is a good soak in our hot tub so we hope to buy a hot tub after making the move.

This raised a question during one of our many discussions about living in Juneau. Does Juneau have any type of hot tub dealership and/or repair service? If not, we'd have to buy a tub from down south and have it shipped up. This then begs the question, "How would warranty/repair work handled?". I don't mind doing basic maintenance/repair stuff but if an item is under warranty then I won't hesitate let the dealer/manufacturer take care of it at their cost. But what happens when there is no local dealer or service technician?

This question also spills over into other items such as vehicles. If we bought a brand new Nissan car or maybe a BMW motorcycle, something for which Juneau has no local dealership (that I'm aware of), how do warranty repairs get done? Are warranties on certain things essentially useless if you live in Juneau or any other out-of-the-way locale, for that matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 PM

3,538 posts, read 4,359,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEINZRX View Post
This question also spills over into other items such as vehicles. If we bought a brand new Nissan car or maybe a BMW motorcycle, something for which Juneau has no local dealership (that I'm aware of), how do warranty repairs get done? Are warranties on certain things essentially useless if you live in Juneau or any other out-of-the-way locale, for that matter?
Years ago, before I retired, we wanted to get some warranty work done on the company truck. I took it to the one place in Barrow at the time where they could do the work and got an estimate. We turned in the papers. A couple months went by and I eventually got a call from the branch of the company that leased trucks to the rest of the company. Nice lady, down in southern California, who needed a second estimate in order to approve the repair.

Well, I explained that there is only one place that can. She said, wait, I'll look it up. She did. The computer said to take the truck to a place on 30th Avenue in Fairbanks. She said they could do it!

I explained to her that 30th Avenue in Fairbanks is 507 miles from me by air, and that there are no roads. She me told the computer says I can take it to a place on 30th Avenue in Fairbanks.

I explained to her that the only way I could get it there would be to spend $5000 each way for shipping, which is to say spend $10,000 to verify that a $3000 estimate is close enough. She told me the computer says... I told her the computer was wrong. She told me she wouldn't approve getting the work done.

I told her graphically and loudly how to have anal sex with her computer.

(We never did get the work done.)

Old 03-01-2010, 08:01 PM

4,043 posts, read 5,179,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Years ago, before I retired, we wanted to get some warranty work done on the company truck. I took it to the one place in Barrow at the time where they could do the work and got an estimate. We turned in the papers. A couple months went by and I eventually got a call from the branch of the company that leased trucks to the rest of the company. Nice lady, down in southern California, who needed a second estimate in order to approve the repair.

Well, I explained that there is only one place that can. She said, wait, I'll look it up. She did. The computer said to take the truck to a place on 30th Avenue in Fairbanks. She said they could do it!

I explained to her that 30th Avenue in Fairbanks is 507 miles from me by air, and that there are no roads. She me told the computer says I can take it to a place on 30th Avenue in Fairbanks.

I explained to her that the only way I could get it there would be to spend $5000 each way for shipping, which is to say spend $10,000 to verify that a $3000 estimate is close enough. She told me the computer says... I told her the computer was wrong. She told me she wouldn't approve getting the work done.

That sadly funny, Floyd. I hate dealing with mindless CSR's.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:51 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,545,544 times
I would be shocked if Juneau didn't have a hot tub dealer that could do warranty work on it's product. As far as the vehicles, there may be a local shop that is authorized to do the work, but I would check first.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:54 PM

5,320 posts, read 6,972,077 times
if your moving to Juneau then buy new vehicles that have dealerships there. wouldn't that make logical sense?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
if your moving to Juneau then buy new vehicles that have dealerships there. wouldn't that make logical sense?
Yes, it would make sense unless you're an idiot.

In some cases you can't buy an expensive item that has a local dealership. Does that make logical sense?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:12 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,706,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post

oh you don't have to live in Alaska for this to happen....the postal service gets me...."will not deliver to a post office box" welllll we don't have delivery out in the woods damn it! Leave it with the gray squirrel 3 miles out the dirt road in the maple tree....not the oak tree now....he steals packages. Bring cell phone so when you get delivery truck stuck you can call wrecker who says they'll be there in a day or so...when they can get to it!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:14 PM

11,765 posts, read 17,964,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I would be shocked if Juneau didn't have a hot tub dealer that could do warranty work on it's product. As far as the vehicles, there may be a local shop that is authorized to do the work, but I would check first.
It wouldn't shock me at all. When we lived in PA we had a hot tub. When we moved to NC we brought the tub with us. We were going to set the tub up at our new house & we discovered two things, 1 that the nearest authorized dealer was in VA & 2 that the local dealer would be happy to work on the tub at his full retail rate. We wound up getting rid of that tub & getting another one from the local dealer. We've only had one major repair in the 9 years that we've owned it & that was a circuit board that needed replacement. Unfortunately for us nothing went wrong with the tub while it was under warranty. But the local dealer & I have become good friends and he services every make of tub in the greater Charlotte area. If we stay in the area we'll buy our next tub from him. So long story short if you're going to stay in Juneau buy a locally made & servicable product. Become friends with the dealer & beautiful things will happen.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
We wound up getting rid of that tub & getting another one from the local dealer. We've only had one major repair in the 9 years that we've owned it & that was a circuit board that needed replacement. Unfortunately for us nothing went wrong with the tub while it was under warranty. But the local dealer & I have become good friends and he services every make of tub in the greater Charlotte area. If we stay in the area we'll buy our next tub from him. So long story short if you're going to stay in Juneau buy a locally made & servicable product. Become friends with the dealer & beautiful things will happen.
There's some useful advice. Buying local and establishing a relationship with your dealer is often worth the extra cost. It's not always practical but if at all possible it's the right way to go.

Funny you mention replacing the circuit board on your hot tub. The circuit board on our 2002 Marquis tub just cooked itself last week and I ordered a brand new one yesterday. I sure hope modern tubs are more reliable and repair-friendly.

So, does anybody know if there is a hot tub dealer in Juneau?

Heinz

Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 PM

5,320 posts, read 6,972,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEINZRX View Post
Yes, it would make sense unless you're an idiot.

In some cases you can't buy an expensive item that has a local dealership. Does that make logical sense?
Then I wouldn't buy one if I was concerned about warranty service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska