Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:39 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,665,355 times

Advertisements

Dozen centuries-old shipwrecks found in Baltic Sea - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100309/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_sweden_shipwrecks - broken link)

wonder if they will be raising any of them in our lifetime for us to see in a museum in Sweden!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 05:45 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,361,071 times
Hi Blues I saw that earlier today and they noted that as the ships are below a depth of 300 ft they will not be salvaging or bringing up. Which if they are in the cold baltic they are probably beautifully preserved.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Hi Blues I saw that earlier today and they noted that as the ships are below a depth of 300 ft they will not be salvaging or bringing up. Which if they are in the cold baltic they are probably beautifully preserved.
bummer....they are persevered because the wood worms normally found in salt water are not present there due to the low salt content.....430 ft below surface is doable for raising at least one.....time will tell if there is a change of interest in raising one.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:15 PM

941 posts, read 1,782,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Dozen centuries-old shipwrecks found in Baltic Sea - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100309/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_sweden_shipwrecks - broken link)

wonder if they will be raising any of them in our lifetime for us to see in a museum in Sweden!!!
The Vasa was raised from relatively shallow water in Sweden which made for a lower cost salvage operation. The US Navy raised a Japanese ship off Hawaii from I believe 800 feet which a US Nuclear Sub rammed during a rapid surfacing and to my knowledge they have never disclosed the cost of that salvage operation. The Navy also attempted to raise a Russian Submarine from a great depth in Pacific with a specially built ship in an operation run by Howard Hughes and it has never been disclosed what that operation cost. But marine salvage at any depths over a couple hundred feet is fantastically expensive. I know of some tests that were done on valves for deep sea wells and the costs were astronomical and increased as the depth went deeper. The cost of installing those valves at one or two thousand feet was almost beyond belief. Just the tank we had to build to enable the test to be conducted cost almost an airliner's price. There was a recent salvage of gold coins in the Atlantic Ocean and the coins on the open market wont cover the cost of recovery from what was published. The Hunley was brought up from shallow water at a cost exceeding a million dollars with a lot of work that was donated. So the chances of seeing these vessels anytime soon is remote.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:20 PM

236 posts, read 425,609 times
430 feet is doable for a person with scuba gear and the right gas mixture so it would be possible although dangerous for an individual to inspect a wreck at such a depth...I however have not been deeper than
215 feet spear fishing off florida for red snapper on nitrox

Old 03-10-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieplumber View Post
430 feet is doable for a person with scuba gear and the right gas mixture so it would be possible although dangerous for an individual to inspect a wreck at such a depth...I however have not been deeper than
215 feet spear fishing off florida for red snapper on nitrox
well that lets me out of ever seeing it them....can dive for medical reasons....bummmer...hope they take some really good pictures for everyone to see!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,463,504 times
Default Vasa

We toured the Vasa about 10 years ago on a trip through Scandinavia. Very awesome. Here's a link to a pretty good synopsis of its recovery and restoration - The Swedish ship Vasa's revival.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,693,209 times
They might be Swedish ships scuttled years ago. Mrs Sweden might know more about it.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:35 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,498,917 times
They found a bunch of ships that have been sunk for thousands of years in the Black Sea also. They showed a pretty neat ROV shot of some of them at levels that were accessible, something about the chemical makeup down that deep is toxic to a lot of the critters that eat wood.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
They found a bunch of ships that have been sunk for thousands of years in the Black Sea also. They showed a pretty neat ROV shot of some of them at levels that were accessible, something about the chemical makeup down that deep is toxic to a lot of the critters that eat wood.
this is what I posted about and put the link to the article in....the salt water wood worms are not in that body of water so the ships are pristine condition...that is why I wondered if at some point they would raise one or two of them....lots of them down there...glad they were exploring to lay pipeline!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska