Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 11:15 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Exactly Arctic I think however odd it may seem, maybe it was better she had the buds on and it was hopefully over quickly. To me it would be worse to have seen the wolves coming, know you can't outrun them and don't have a gun to defend yourself.
Yes she might have been able to try to defend herself I believe against 1 wolf.
But with 2-3 wolves I think she was totally at their mercy.

Picking a few rocks and throwing them and yelling isn't the best defense around, but it works some of the time verses doing nothing. Having an Ipod on, would take that effort out of the loop to where it was too late.

As far as quick death, I really doubt it, they would start to rip flesh off and the normal animals they hunt either bleeds to death or has the tendons in their legs ripped so they can't run and the "Pack" will jump on the animal and one may grab the face/nose to keep it immobilized while the other's shred it. Nature is pretty vicious in it's over picture that most don't want to see.

The only animals that die a "Peaceful" death is our pets, we protect and feed them where they don't have to face such events. Even a lowly field mouse will have an owl or other bird of prey put it talons into it and fly off to it's dinner.

Anything that is weak or sick is going to be attacked by something and eaten in the wild. Even bears eat each other...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
As for being armed, I doubt very many people arm themselves while jogging, biking, or just going for a walk.
I take it you don't actually live in Alaska?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieplumber View Post
Just read all these posts..lol you guys can be brutal .... but she deserved it in my opinion when WE go in to the wild we become a food source so WE should be prepared to defend ourselves.and as far as the wolves go I value human life above all other creatures.
No, I doubt she "Deserved" it, but she was ignorant of her environment which led to her demise.

When we go into the "Wild", we are more often than not, out of our normal environment and need to be a bit more diligent than in the city.

Some of us are better suited, and armed, but we don't match the level of critters that live to kill and eat in their environment if we aren't aware...

We can however be a major factor in the outcome of an encounter if we know what to do... and what not to do. You aren't going to outrun any wild animal, just make them think you are a free meal.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Hi Thinks First,

Hate to disagree but this woman was not attacked on a street in a residential sub-division or city, it was a rural/wild area. People who chose to live in these areas are very aware of their surroundings and putting up a sign isn't going to do anything.
What kind of sign do you put up "warning there are animals outside your home that will eat you?"

I'm sure native Alaskans are more aware of the dangers than others. She hadn't been there all that long. Alaska has many many tourists that aren't aware of the dangers. Posting signs making people aware is the right thing to do.

Putting up signs warning of falling rocks or deer-crossing is a way to alert people to potential dangers.

Anyway, attacks of this nature are rare, but nonetheless, sad.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:28 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
I do hope it was a quick death for her sake...it appears to have been as this is what the medical examiner stated:
"The medical examiner concluded that she wasn't killed by any other method and that the damage to the throat was severe. There were animal bite marks on the throat.

ahhh Think First....urban people (for lack of better term) move into the rural country and don't do any research into what to expect...what to watch out for....not just in Alaska either....no matter where you live, if you are in the counrty with predatory animals you should be prepared and armed with some sort of protection. They will come into your yard after you, your children or pets, live stock anything that is on their food chain. Too many signs in this world now....people need more common sense, more inclination to LEARN what their environment is.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Wolves have killed animals without eating them, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same to a human they see as an easy target.
Some animals like bears will bury their kills to let them "Age". Wolves also kill for fun and may not eat the targeted animal or will come back after it too has "aged" a bit (nice term for rotted).

Sometimes wolves have ripped open a number of Caribou stomachs that were pregnant just to run off and do it again to another with no intentions of eating what they kill. That "Noble" stuff the environmentalist put out is crap in most cases to make their "Critter" look like it is above the fray...

Old 03-12-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
I'm sure native Alaskans are more aware of the dangers than others. She hadn't been there all that long. Alaska has many many tourists that aren't aware of the dangers. Posting signs making people aware is the right thing to do.

Putting up signs warning of falling rocks or deer-crossing is a way to alert people to potential dangers.

Anyway, attacks of this nature are rare, but nonetheless, sad.
We are talking true "Wilderness" here and a town of about 100 people at best that were born and grew up there. You don't put up signs in the middle of nowhere.

Having said that, in Denali National Park where they have hundreds of thousands of visitors, they do post where they know there is a moose or caribou kill to keep the hikers from wandering over to see what the stench is coming from the woods....

Here is a bit about the town...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chignik,_Alaska

Old 03-12-2010, 11:35 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
That "Noble" stuff the environmentalist put out is crap in most cases to make their "Critter" look like it is above the fray...
As usual Star erects a strawman environmentalist to exhibit his own ignorance. I am interested in knowing about wolf behavior and I do not buy Star's juvenile characterization of wolf behavior. I am perfectly happy with the notion that wolves are not "noble." Nature, to borrow from the distinguished Harvard biologist, the late Stephen Jay Gould, is non-moral (not immoral).

Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,263 times
Starlite I was just hoping it was quick though I do believe it wasn't. Just don't like the thought of anyone suffering that way.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
I do hope it was a quick death for her sake...it appears to have been as this is what the medical examiner stated:
"The medical examiner concluded that she wasn't killed by any other method and that the damage to the throat was severe. There were animal bite marks on the throat.

ahhh Think First....urban people (for lack of better term) move into the rural country and don't do any research into what to expect...what to watch out for....not just in Alaska either....no matter where you live, if you are in the counrty with predatory animals you should be prepared and armed with some sort of protection. They will come into your yard after you, your children or pets, live stock anything that is on their food chain. Too many signs in this world now....people need more common sense, more inclination to LEARN what their environment is.

You forgot garbage cans. How many long-time residents of Alaska still leave their trash outside in uncovered garbage containers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska