Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,809,562 times

Advertisements

Hiya Mr Griz.....the picture in Post #46 is being displayed fine for me

That cartridge is a 50 caliber machine gun round....

Try clicking on this link below to view that picture...
https://secure.smugmug.com/Other/Fir...37_pt7Nf-M.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Hiya Mr Griz.....the picture in Post #46 is being displayed fine for me

That cartridge is a 50 caliber machine gun round....

Try clicking on this link below to view that picture...
https://secure.smugmug.com/Other/Fir...37_pt7Nf-M.jpg
Thanks..................and I promise to stop guessing about those big "boomers".

Different subject:...............how is the fishing (in the area around POW Island) for those fantastic 'salt water/sea run' Kings'? My only experience was a very successful week of fishing for them out of Sitka in mid June of 1996.

Ketch ya later..................Griz

Old 03-16-2010, 11:11 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
Magnum Research, Inc., model: BFR45/70.

Yeah, baby, yeah!
So what kind of velocity can you get out of that thing? What weight projectile?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 PM

128 posts, read 295,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
How did you kill it?
shot it. .338 Winchester, I grew up with bears too.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
AK people can help much with this but they sell bear pistols in the shops there.
i personally would want a mossberg short barrel 500A with slugs, but i would much prefer a steel cage to hide in. i fear shooting them would only make them more angry.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:10 AM

432 posts, read 760,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
So what kind of velocity can you get out of that thing? What weight projectile?
You'll get in the neighborhood of 1500fps MV, depending upon the load. Come to think of it, you'll lose around 15% or so MV given the short barrel. It's not like you'll be sniping with it. Strictly CQB.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:58 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehop View Post
........................ Ok, now you know how much I loved that dog.Yes, I think I can truly understand you feelings for Hooper I now have a 4 month old black lab,I think you made a wonderful choice, in getting a Lab (had 3 labs over a period of 20 years....fantastic breed." the first one since Hopper died 7 years ago." I hope he turns out half as good.I'm sure he will....as you know, the love shown by the owner is returned many-fold by the dog....I think you'll be 'lucky again! I think I just go lucky. Yes, the pictures were taken around Haines. and

I lived in Atlin, very beautiful place, but very lonely in the winter. angie

Well Angie, since you lived in Atlin........ I have to relate this short story that we observed in July 1996, regarding a 'float plane and a local guy' that moored it right there on the beach of the small RV parking area.

The guy was approx in his 60's; dressed as follows: a leather flying type of 'old fashioned helmet'; a well worn leather flying jacket and 'jodfers' type pants that fit down inside his hip-hoots that were rolleddown about 1/3rd of the way to his knees. He wore old style flying goggles, leather gloves AND a 6 foot long silk scarf that he would 'wrap around his neck just prior to climbing abord his float plane. The plane was moored (facing in foward to the beach with two tie-lines. He would arrive about 8:30 am, untie the lines, roll up his hip boots, enter the water and gently turn the plane around 180 degrees. He then would get in the open cockpit, thrown a couple of switches, get back out of the plane into the water, go up to the two bladed prop --look all around the immediate area of the plane..........Yell "CLEAR" at the top of his voice, spin the prop a few times untill it caught, and quickly hustle to the open cockpit, get in and taxi away from shore for 200 feet or so...then he'd look over at us--give a big Wave, and punch the throttle for his departure.

He did this the 5 days were were there and some locals said he did it very frequently throuhhout the summer months. He'd be gone for up to, two to three hours and then return. You would swear you were watching a scene from a 1930's movie. He was always alone,(even though it was a 2-seater) always dressed the same way and followed a set procedure every day.

You could tell, he truly loved playing the role of being the pilot of a vintage,open cockpit float plane in the bush country. Quite the character.!

Atlin is on my list of places I'd like to get back to one more time: as well as Sitka; McGrath (stay over night at the Takusko House) and definitely get to Kodiak one more time. Only time will tell if I can do these things......we'll sure as hell do our best to make it happen.

Katch ya all later........................Griz

Old 03-17-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
LOL---then why on earth is she asking us? If she had to kill a bear that was going after her husband...I'd like to know what she was using.
.338 winchester. I used to be a hunting guide. I am not asking anything other than about different handguns, used as defense against bears. I have never used them, I always used rifles and shot guns, which I think I stated in the beginning.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

Well Angie, since you lived in Atlin........ I have to relate this short story that we observed in July 1996, regarding a 'float plane and a local guy' that moored it right there on the beach of the small RV parking area.

The guy was approx in his 60's; dressed as follows: a leather flying type of 'old fashioned helmet'; a well worn leather flying jacket and 'jodfers' type pants that fit down inside his hip-hoots that were rolleddown about 1/3rd of the way to his knees. He wore old style flying goggles, leather gloves AND a 6 foot long silk scarf that he would 'wrap around his neck just prior to climbing abord his float plane. The plane was moored (facing in foward to the beach with two tie-lines. He would arrive about 8:30 am, untie the lines, roll up his hip boots, enter the water and gently turn the plane around 180 degrees. He then would get in the open cockpit, thrown a couple of switches, get back out of the plane into the water, go up to the two bladed prop --look all around the immediate area of the plane..........Yell "CLEAR" at the top of his voice, spin the prop a few times untill it caught, and quickly hustle to the open cockpit, get in and taxi away from shore for 200 feet or so...then he'd look over at us--give a big Wave, and punch the throttle for his departure.

He did this the 5 days were were there and some locals said he did it very frequently throuhhout the summer months. He'd be gone for up to, two to three hours and then return. You would swear you were watching a scene from a 1930's movie. He was always alone,(even though it was a 2-seater) always dressed the same way and followed a set procedure every day.

You could tell, he truly loved playing the role of being the pilot of a vintage,open cockpit float plane in the bush country. Quite the character.!

Atlin is on my list of places I'd like to get back to one more time: as well as Sitka; McGrath (stay over night at the Takusko House) and definitely get to Kodiak one more time. Only time will tell if I can do these things......we'll sure as hell do our best to make it happen.

Katch ya all later........................Griz
I was always gone in the summer, out in the bush starting in May so I am not sure if I know who you are talking about. Maybe he was just a stay in Atlin for the summer guy and then gone in fall for the winter. I did know quite a few pilots though.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
She killed it just like this.
My arms aren't that big, but I bet I could cut holes with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska