Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:42 AM

131 posts, read 533,405 times

Advertisements

Just thought I would add a little as I was from California and moved to Alaska (Anchorage) I lived there for 6 years and left and went back to California. I wished everyday that I had not left. Alaska is an amazing State to live in and California has gone to complete crap. I actually just up and relocated to Madison. WI just to get out of California. Someday i will move back to Alaska as i think it truley is one of the best State in this Country.

Hope all works out for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 10:53 AM

144 posts, read 744,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffInWA View Post
I don't know your financial situation, but you mentioned "fixed income". If you're looking at the PNW, keep in mind $220,000 will buy you a trailer. Not a fancy-schmancy modular home, a trailer. And that's in the West Sound. Go to East Sound to Seattle and the suburbs and you're looking at $240,000 for a trailer. New construction generally starts at $349,000. Like I said, may be what you're used to, but just sayin'...

Try this website, a friend of mine gave me: Find Your Spot

Oh, and it rains here. A lot. Count on October through June.
I just did the cute Find Your Spot quiz above - worth the five minutes!!!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:25 PM

341 posts, read 1,018,897 times
How do you get thru those winters when you have just a few hours of sunlight each day ? Doesn't that jack around with your mind a bit ?

Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 PM

95 posts, read 351,760 times
tanning salons........

Old 06-06-2007, 03:29 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
How do you get thru those winters when you have just a few hours of sunlight each day ? Doesn't that jack around with your mind a bit ?
Well some people it does. Can lead to depression, cabin fever, and going all out postal.
But those of us that love it here and live here, it's no biggy. We have electricity for lights, flashlights, lanterns, drop lights...you name it. Snowmachines have headlights, ski resorts have lighted runs, job sites have portable flood lights. Heck even the runways have lights! It's harder for me to get to sleep in the summer months because of the long daylight hours. So thats where duct tape and tinfoil come in. Covers the bedroom windows real good! Other than that...I've been here all my life, and the long darkness or long daylight hours is no big deal.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:45 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insearchof View Post
I didn't say that I hadn't made friends in Cali, gee, 39 yrs there was plenty
and you are wrong about my asking for opinions... not all of my 6 yrs here have been less than favorable its just that AFTER 6 yrs it doesn't feel right. cheap housing? yep! that would be right HERE in Ak, dirt cheap, because thats what you get, dirt and LOTS of it
Maybe you should have tried Anchorage or Fairbanks instead of the other area's, don't get me wrong I prefer not to have folks up here that don't enjoy our beautiful state. Anchorage has numerous families that home school and of course the wal-marts are very easy to get too.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:46 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,635 times
Quote:
Every where near the north pole it's the same thing...But when you've lived like that your whole life:

I didn't know it could be anything else than that?
Around here, most people are used to it, and probably in Alaska too, so...No, it's just lovely!

Though you need to love the dark...

Old 06-06-2007, 03:47 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
We have Fred Meyers in Soldotna! And I think Wally world is soon to come between Soldotna and Kenai.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:53 PM

9 posts, read 40,618 times
LOL...You want on the east coast and out of AK....I live in Ga...I will trade with you anyday you want to...House for house...I will even leave 75% of the house furnished..

Ohh Yeah....Rance.....I must bowdown to you.....I have been lurking on here awhile...You have got to be about the coolest mod ever..I have tons of questions for ya...

Last edited by AKBound; 06-06-2007 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: added...

Old 06-06-2007, 03:53 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,529 times
Quote:
We deal with the darkness and look forward to the long hours of daylight in the summer months, in the winter we get anywhere from 8 - 10 hours of sleep in the summer months you can rock n roll on 4-6 hours. It's wonderful came up here from LA California 32 years ago, my kids had an opportunity to live in the lower 48's and both chose not too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska