U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2007, 06:17 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,724,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insearchof View Post
Let's just say somewhere on the Kenai Peninsula

3 hours might be a tad bit exagerated, but this is a highway and lots of twists & turns unlike freeways in cali that were 6 lanes on each side.
Yeah I understand I've taken the highway there in my corvette and yes that was fun especially the straight stretch into Soldotna. We will be summering in Moose Pass but currently live in Anchorage.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 06:24 PM

123 posts, read 238,371 times
I think Kansas City is probably a good option. It would be humid, though. Idaho has become very popular with disaffected Californians, too. I'd move there, if it weren't 3,000 miles from my family.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:40 PM

158 posts, read 489,015 times
Default How about Middle Tennessee?

I recently left San Diego and moved to Franklin TN..about 20 min south of Nashville....
It is wonderful here!! Many wonder why I would leave all that beautiful weather, bla bla bla....
BUT it is very mild here...the summer is hot and humid..but only for a few months...and really not that bad..all the rest of seasons are fantastic.
...and the people....well the saying ~southern hospitality~ is true. I have never come across such a collective group of nice helpful people.

Please email me if I can help you! (ya'll) LOL.

Shelly

Old 07-02-2007, 08:27 PM

24 posts, read 55,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska1 View Post
We go to Alaska almost every Summer.
We loved it from the first time we got there. Everybody was super friendly and helpful. Eventually we want to move there. Anybody who wants to move there should really check into everything. I would go there for one winter, just to see if you can handle it. There is only 2 things to say about Alaska. You hate it or love it. That's it. I've been all over the world and Alaska is the only place I would want to settle down. It is expensive there but right now we live in Coeur d" Alene, ID and life is not much cheaper here. Seattle is even worse. Houses here run 200.000 and up.If somebody wants to move on a fixed income, the East Coast is not so bad and PA has a really nice country side.

hi Alaska1... I love Alaska too and it is my dream to live there one day. But it was decided that I probably couldn't handle the really cold and dark winters just yet so we are thinking of moving to Couer d'Alene for now. Can you tell me if Couer d'Alene is as beautiful as Alaska? Are they similar at all as far as the down-to-earth people and spectacular scenery? The pictures I've seen are breathtaking. Also, does the sun come out in the winter? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:23 PM

15 posts, read 67,658 times
Move to Southern Oregon........

Try Oregon, no sales tax and good weather 300 days of sunshine, 28 mile lake, wilderness and schools are good.....Good hospitals and medical problems....not a problem, Not only is Oregon its a little compareable to AK only the beauty tho....

Old 07-03-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insearchof View Post
Ok, so I did something most people would never do, it was daring...
6 yrs ago, I moved my self and 2 children (single mom) from my home state of CA, i'd never visited ak and moved here pretty much site unsceen
all of my research was done via computer, I had made a friend on an aol site whose hubby was in the Air Force and they were stationed at Elmendorf, oh she bragged about how RICH the state was, tax free etc....
well, after a 2 yr time living in both Wasilla (3 mo's), then Eagle River, I moved to the Kenai Peninsula, was able to buy my very first home as i'm on a fixed income. well, I am MISERABLE here, not only has it been near impossible to make friends but the schools are terrible and i'm sick & tired of their approach to 'history' as being all exclusively ak native
shopping here consits of driving 3 hours thru a twisty windy treacherous (in winter) road just to get to a walmart

My mind is made up, I want outta here! I refuse to go back to CA, very little relatives there and we are not in the least close, in fact, I have no close friends or family anywhere... but I feel my children deserve to have more opportunities, they are not looking at becoming fisherman or drilling for oil
i've proved I can handle winter only, I want it as a season vs a 9 month sentance. I'm dreaming of the east coast, I don't handle extreme heat and/or humidity well at all because of a medical condition.

So, where would a single, responsible, clean, decent, commited to her family, single mom
move OUT of here to?

Oh great, anymore good things about AK? We, are planning on moving up their...we live now in Oregon in the heart of the cascade mountains...eastern side...
rockypoint

Old 07-03-2007, 01:32 PM

Oh great, anymore good things about AK? We, are planning on moving up their...we live now in Oregon in the heart of the cascade mountains...eastern side...

rockypoint

Old 07-03-2007, 02:23 PM

imbobbbb,

Oh my Gosh! you need to go on a comedy show....

Old 07-05-2007, 09:20 PM

19 posts, read 81,704 times
Default Fort Collins

If I remember right, your original post said you had made the decision to leave AK. I can understand why you want out. You might look at Fort Collins, CO. It is still a small enough town with a very western feel, and the schools are excellent. CSU is also there. I have not lived there, but I'm completing a doctoral degree from CSU and travel there often. I really like it. I think your kids would find a lot to do in a welcoming environment. It also has four true seasons....very nice.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:02 PM

47 posts, read 96,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jank View Post
If I remember right, your original post said you had made the decision to leave AK. I can understand why you want out. You might look at Fort Collins, CO. It is still a small enough town with a very western feel, and the schools are excellent. CSU is also there. I have not lived there, but I'm completing a doctoral degree from CSU and travel there often. I really like it. I think your kids would find a lot to do in a welcoming environment. It also has four true seasons....very nice.
OK! guess I need to do some explaining here right?

While my original post stated I had made the decision, I have by no means set the date... I plan on doing some traveling in the coming months and into the new year as well.
my house is getting prettier by the day and just today went out and bought some new furniture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska