U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:55 AM

518 posts, read 897,130 times
Default Getting crowded up there?

I see, what looks like, lots of people moving up to AK, but not many coming back down.....You Alaskan's going to run out of room any time soon?

When I went back up to the SE, last summer, I noticed there were more houses out in the......well I guess you would now call it "country", not bush, due to all the lights I saw. In 2000 and 2001, I remember how black the bush looked at night, but this last time, seemed like there were lights all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 AM

5,320 posts, read 6,963,000 times
They are moving out just as fast as they are moving in. I was surprised at how many southboud UHhauls I saw this month on the Alcan.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:04 AM

14,345 posts, read 13,250,728 times
Alaska is larger than most countries and still has less people than most major cities...it's not crowded though some areas are.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 AM

7,016 posts, read 6,698,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
They are moving out just as fast as they are moving in. I was surprised at how many southboud UHhauls I saw this month on the Alcan.
that's good!! you didn't get in their way did you??

Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,139,376 times
Looking at those video clips he posted, it looks like he needs to concentrate on staying on his side of the yellow line

Old 03-29-2010, 09:57 AM

7,016 posts, read 6,698,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Looking at those video clips he posted, it looks like he needs to concentrate on staying on his side of the yellow line
maybe he was just trying to scare away the people with U-hauls headed northbound??

Old 03-29-2010, 11:39 AM

5,320 posts, read 6,963,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Awe, Come on. I don't get out often.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM

21,010 posts, read 22,156,505 times
The Alcan from Beaver Creek to Kluane Lake, the yellow line is the best place to drive, most of the time.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:58 AM

165 posts, read 308,359 times
I agree that Alaska is large, however, 90% of the State is not easily accessable. Which means most of the people who live here are in a few small pockets that are very crowded, in my opinion. I was surprised how crowded it truly was here. We went camping several times last summer and had people all around us everywhere we went. We drove for 4 hours to try and find seclusion but had no luck. Back home in Indiana I could drive 30 minutes and find it. It doesn't help that this is a large tourist State either. In all honesty I feel more constricted and suffocated here than I ever did back home. Might be a large State but it takes a lot of time and money to get to the remote areas.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,762,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
I agree that Alaska is large, however, 90% of the State is not easily accessable. Which means most of the people who live here are in a few small pockets that are very crowded, in my opinion. I was surprised how crowded it truly was here. We went camping several times last summer and had people all around us everywhere we went. We drove for 4 hours to try and find seclusion but had no luck. Back home in Indiana I could drive 30 minutes and find it. It doesn't help that this is a large tourist State either. In all honesty I feel more constricted and suffocated here than I ever did back home. Might be a large State but it takes a lot of time and money to get to the remote areas.
You said the key words there, "We drove for 4 hours ". There is only a few roads that lead into and out of Anchorage/Fairbanks. It is but a thread of travel in the State. Just about everyone that wants to get out of town, does the same thing, they drive down the same road you do and end up in the same places.

If you really want to see Alaska, go down to Lake Hood and talk to some of the Flight places there. Many of them have cabins on lakes that they will fly you out to, you have the Lake, cabin, boat and such for the entire time you are there by yourselves.

Being a "Roadie" in Alaska isn't all that much fun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska