Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 11:25 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,652,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Floyd, Nepher is the OP of this thread.
What significance do you attach to that Ray?

Does an OP own a thread? Does the OP of a thread control it? Does the OP's opinion necessarily have any significance at all???

You really do need to understand the medium here before making judgment based on idle concepts about
threads, OP's, and drift.

The concise answers to those questions are all the same: no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
And what, like your opinions matter any more than someone else's? Glad to see you have such high regard for one of the more level-headed members of this forum.
You need to read what I wrote. I value Nephler, and I have respect for his opinions when they are logical and supported.

I also certainly NEVER suggested that he not post his opinions.

I just pointed out that the particular opinion he had just expressed was not valid, not supported by logic or fact, and therefore nothing but worthless emotion. Shame on him for saying what he did, because I expect better of him.

And I would note that he did post another article that basically contradicted his previous comment. Equally unsupported though... he stated the thread has been interesting but not of much value. Such comments have no value themselves. What is useful, interesting, or not to any group of five people may be exactly the opposite for someone else.

I'll give you an example (and it's one that I'm not sure exactly what to make of). I've been getting rep points from anonymous non-registered users. Not on this thread though... on a similar exchange between Starlite and I from 2008. Clearly somebody found this exchange useful and probably directed several other like minded people to read what they had found.

What's it mean: logically valid accurate information is useful and interesting. Maybe not to you or me at any given time with any given subject, but to somebody who needs that information it is priceless.

I certainly think the majority of articles and threads on CD are trivially useless entertainment. Hence I don't participate in those exchanges. I do find it amusing that people like yourself (and several others here) think that their concept of interesting is what should define the way other people post!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:57 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,246,280 times
Most opinions are based on emotional beliefs, fact or fiction.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Shame on him for saying what he did,
Excuse me?

Maybe you should look up the definition of "opinion"

Quote:
o·pin·ion
əˈpɪnyən[uh-pin-yuhn] –noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
Where the f*** do you get off telling others they should feel "SHAME" for stating an opinion?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:19 AM

Guess that supports my last post eh Moose. And in Floyd's view everything must be supported.

And with that being said, I'm off to get some rest. I plan on getting out with the dogs tomorrow.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Most opinions are based on emotional beliefs, fact or fiction.
And when your expressed opinion is that somebody else should stop posting theirs, you really should provide some kind of indication why, other than that you might have been caught in a moment of emotional distress and can't deal with reality, eh?

If you had posted your opinion of something appropriate, who cares what your reasons are. But this business of telling people they shouldn't post here just because what they write isn't interesting to you is a crock. I expect things like that from Ray and Moose. From you I'd expect more.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Excuse me?

Maybe you should look up the definition of "opinion"
Quote:
o·pin·ion
əˈpɪnyən[uh-pin-yuhn] –noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
Where the f*** do you get off telling others they should feel "SHAME" for stating an opinion?
Where the opinion is inappropriate for the forum.

Telling other people to stop posting because what they say is not interesting to you is not appropriate. There of course is a long list of opinions that are inappropriate. You could start by reading and trying to understand the forum rules, which have a short list of the types of opinions that will cause your post to be deleted.

You might also try to read that definition of "opinion". Nothing there contradicts what I said, nor does it support what you just said. It is interesting to be sure, but it's also a non sequitur.

Please note that I have an opinion as to why you repeatedly make such illogical posts... which I do not post here because it is inappropriate for this forum.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:00 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
What significance do you attach to that Ray?

Does an OP own a thread? Does the OP of a thread control it? Does the OP's opinion necessarily have any significance at all???

You really do need to understand the medium here before making judgment based on idle concepts about
threads, OP's, and drift.

The concise answers to those questions are all the same: no.
A man of so many words...or perhaps too many beers already....or a man with a bad case of SAD

Old 04-09-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A man of so many words...or perhaps too many beers already....or a man with a bad case of SAD
I realize that you are usually intoxicated when you post Ray, which probably accounts for not being able to deal with multiple sentences.

But projecting your problems on others is one more of those "opinions" that really is not appropriate on this forum. Though I'll grant that for those who understand the psychology, it really is an entertaining window into what you aren't.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 AM

I don't seem to remember telling anyone not to post...hmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska