U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:29 PM

17 posts, read 43,371 times

Advertisements

I was just offered a temporary job in Nome. It includes room+board but after my searches, I can't really find much of what to expect out there. Should I bring my own food? Are there any areas near front st for hiking and exploring? Also, any place to rent a car or some type of transportation. I'll only be out there for August and September. Also what about the weather? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:28 PM

21,039 posts, read 22,791,244 times
Google is an amazing tool.

City of Nome, Alaska

Old 04-04-2010, 07:37 PM

4,988 posts, read 5,624,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsdrivein View Post
Are there any areas near front st for hiking and exploring?
According to this movie, Nome is completely surrounded by towering mountains and dense pine forests! A hiker's paradise.

The Fourth Kind, the Nome-Hating Kind - The Spill Movie Community

Quote:
The Fourth Kind seems content to make up its own story about the town of Nome, which has miraculously sprouted dense forests on the coastal tundra of the Bering Sea, asphalt roads that don't require snowmobiles or tire chains (because there is no snow) and large, multi-story, impeccably built log cabins. If you believe that Bulgaria looks like Nome, you could be forgiven if you've been to neither location. But if you believe that people can walk around in normal clothing in Alaska in October, you're nuts.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:19 PM

843 posts, read 1,083,335 times
if you're only coming up for a couple of months, you'd save a lot by doing your shopping in anchorage and then mailing food to nome (assuming you have an address to mail it to).

the weather will be nice that time of year, but you'll need a vehicle if you want to do any hiking. there are lots of nice mountainous areas out of town, but they're a bit far to walk to if you're living in town. hopefully you'll be able to borrow a vehicle from somebody (i'm not sure about rentals, i've never tried).

you can always walk along the beach, and there are nice areas in and around town. just don't try living a lower-48 lifestyle or you'll find yourself going broke very quickly (i.e. eating out a lot, drinking in bars, going to movies).

Old 04-04-2010, 08:36 PM

4,045 posts, read 5,433,684 times
The OP said they got room and board so I am wondering doesn't that mean meals are included? Hopefully one less thing to worry about.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:22 PM

61 posts, read 70,459 times
Quote:
I was just offered a temporary job in Nome. It includes room+board but after my searches, I can't really find much of what to expect out there. Should I bring my own food? Are there any areas near front st for hiking and exploring? Also, any place to rent a car or some type of transportation. I'll only be out there for August and September. Also what about the weather? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
There are a lot of different places to go out to eat in Nome and several grocerey stores, but their prices are pretty high. It costs over $30 for a large pizza and an 18pack of eggs is going to be be over $5.00. We try to do as much of our basic grocerey supply shopping done in Anchorage and then mail it out to ourselves (FYI Alaska has cheaper postage rates for in state mailing). You can view a local flyer for one of the bigger grocerey stores at AC. There is hiking that you can do around Nome, but you have to go out of town for a better hike. Just keep in mind like Moose Whisper stated with his post, Nome looks nothing like that movie the encounters of the 4th kind. I have never watched the movie, but since Nome is tundra with a thick layer of perma frost around it, there are almost no trees close to town and it is fairly flat. August is usually very wet, but that is when the silver (coho) salmon run and it is worth getting out and catching some of them for your freezer (definately worth the cost of an out of state fishing license). September is usually better than August and the berry picking is at it's best with cool clear skies.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to help out. I don't live in Nome, but I am only 100 airmiles away in Unalakleet.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 AM

What happened to all those a holes? I looked last night and had more comments than this ha

But thanks for the advice. I've used google but didn't really come up with too much.

I applied for this job a few months ago and hadn't heard anything since last friday, so I just assumed it fell through. Then one night last week, I watched the Fourth Kind and that's where I first heard of Nome and then the next day I got a call offering me the job in Nome! Pretty strange, I thought. But then I google earth'd it and was wondering what happened to all the trees since filiming haha.

What hiking areas around Nome would you recommend? And what about transportation? Is there some place I could rent a car or I've been told a fourwheeler would come in handy there.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:11 AM

3,538 posts, read 4,498,335 times
Quote:
What hiking areas around Nome would you recommend? And what about transportation? Is there some place I could rent a car or I've been told a fourwheeler would come in handy there.
It's been nearly 25 years since I spent time in Nome, so I certainly can't give much in the way of specifics... but you definitely want to rent a vehicle. Not a car though... get a truck. Having access to a 4-wheeler would be nice too.

I was never able to drive out to Safety or to Council, and if you get a chance you really do want to do that. I did drive (several times, and got paid to do it too) all the way to Teller. Fabulous trip!

Bring a good camera, and use it. You'll never see anything like it again!

Oh, there are lots of "trees" around Nome; but they are all willows. Not huge, but bushy.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 AM

100 posts, read 121,793 times
[quote=Floyd_Davidson;13600729]It's been nearly 25 years since I spent time in Nome, so I certainly can't give much in the way of specifics... but you definitely want to rent a vehicle. Not a car though... get a truck. Having access to a 4-wheeler would be nice too.

Also for me it has been 25+ years. I rented an older Blazer for two days--pretty spendy!! Went to Council and Teller. Was worth the rental!!! can't remember where it was, but went to a totally unimproved hot springs.

And room and board should include meals?? You might want to ship any special goodies out from Anchorage?? You can probably also order stuff out online? Am sure someone has addresses for this once you are there?

Good Luck and Happy Trails,
Nan

Old 04-05-2010, 02:29 PM

About how much did you guys end up paying for a rental?

I am definitely bringing a camera. I've got my 40d and 24-70mm along for the trip! That's the main reason I want to go, for photography reasons. Thanks again for all the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska