Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:10 AM

218 posts, read 518,280 times

Advertisements

So I'm gathering that these are the big 3 in Ak. I'm in Palmer, don't travel outside AK often, don't live in a concrete and lead reinforced bunker, and just use it for personal calls. So I'm looking for input on who would be the best to go with, I'm looking at getting a Smart Phone (either Iphone or HTC Hero) so anyone who has experience on the 3G network would be helpful. Also my wife said that her sister in a different state told her that when you buy a plan that has say 700 minutes it's not just your calling minutes, but that includes all your internet minutes too so even though you buy an unlimited data plan, every minute that you're using the net ticks one minute off your usage plan unless you buy the unlimited talk plan too, is that true in AK? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,692 times
We are with GCI. We have a statewide unlimited minutes, unlimited nationwide text, unlimited data for $59 a month. All incoming calls are unlimited minutes. Outgoing Out of state calls are extra but we have a landline for calling folks back home. I have taken my GCI phone to Seattle and called from there to AK. The charges were very reasonable but I dont recommend making a LOT of roaming calls. My son has a line for $39 on this plan, same stuff as me. My Daughter has a line on this plan for $19 a month. Same stuff.

The internet on this plan is not super fast, but looking up movies and checking email is fine. I dont recommend it for surfing.

If you are super into the internet then I would maybe go with AT&T and get a Iphone.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:01 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,389 times
We've had at&t for years, so I was glad to see we had good coverage with it up here. I also get a discount through work for our plan. We're not due for a phone upgrade yet........and I was thinking of an iPhone. The plan is more expensive (extra monthly fees) for the iPhone. So since my current phone is fine, and I don't feel like committing to a higher bill, I got a iTouch recently (same thing, just no phone or camera)
My hubby is about to send me to "app rehab"
Really, how many apps are too many???????? I had no idea it could be this useful.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:07 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
No, the data minutes do not tick off your calling minutes at least with AT&T. We have two phones with internet access and our talk minutes usage has not gone up.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:10 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
So I'm gathering that these are the big 3 in Ak. I'm in Palmer, don't travel outside AK often, don't live in a concrete and lead reinforced bunker, and just use it for personal calls. So I'm looking for input on who would be the best to go with, I'm looking at getting a Smart Phone (either Iphone or HTC Hero) so anyone who has experience on the 3G network would be helpful. Also my wife said that her sister in a different state told her that when you buy a plan that has say 700 minutes it's not just your calling minutes, but that includes all your internet minutes too so even though you buy an unlimited data plan, every minute that you're using the net ticks one minute off your usage plan unless you buy the unlimited talk plan too, is that true in AK? Thanks.

I have used AT&T and ACS. Actually for awhile I had ACS and my wife had AT&T. We are both on AT&T now with the 700 Minute Family Plan with an added line. We included unlimited texting and data. We do not have smart phones and are not on the smart phone plans. We both use our phones a ton, but never exceed out mintues, or even come close because most people we know have AT&T and it includes free nights and weekends.
ACS

Pros: Best call quality. Best coverage for voice. Largest Coverage Area for 3g. Fastest 3G. If you move out of state you can cancel contract with no fees.

Cons: Phone plans not packaged as well as some other carriers. Network is only in Alaska so when out of state you are roaming. Not as many nice phones as AT&T IMO.

AT&T

Pros: Only carrier that has the iPhone. Better selection of phones. Mobile to Mobile minutes on many plans. Many of their plans are packaged better. More employers provide discounts. Nationwide. Online billing and usage system superior.

Cons: Poor coverage in more areas. Call Quality is not as clear. 3G network is slower and coverage is not as wide. Nationwide company so hard to get out of contract even if you move out of state.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
We have one provider here in Bethel and the delta, GCI...They suck so bad here, dropped calls, crossover calls, and no data. They have a monopoly and they charge a lot for crappy service. Can't even use a smart phone to it's full potential here. I have the data package for when I head to Anchorage or on the system, doesn't get any use out here. I'd love it if AT&T came out here, they do have internet service for the City and the School District which is by far faster than anything GCI puts out here.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:51 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Well Warpt you know GCI has a big project for your entire region. Hoping things get better out there once it is done.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:08 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Oh yeah, I didn;t comment on GCI or DigiTel. You do not want to use either one. Awful.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:29 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
No Verizon for anyone?

Old 03-16-2010, 05:07 PM

13 posts, read 46,412 times
Verizon phones work up here in Fairbanks (sort of) on ACS's network, but none of the features like the navigator work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska