U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 AM

42 posts, read 54,916 times
Default U-Haul insurance

For your reading pleasure, here is a rant on U-Haul...

So, as many of you know, U-Haul is the only game in town when it comes to renting a moving truck to go to Alaska. For me, it's been a PITA.

I wanted to make sure that my auto insurance would cover my liability while driving to Alaska in a U-Haul. So, I called my insurance agent. Turns out they don't cover my liability with U-Haul trucks since U-Hauls are a different class vehicle.

So I called U-Haul to see if they offer liability insurance for their own rental trucks. I've talked to five different people (a combination of corporate agents and local dealers) and nobody can give me a straight answer. They all tell me that they can give me their "safemove" package, which is essentially a damage waiver. And their website claims to offer a "super safemove" package, which is supposed to include liability. Unfortunately, none of the five people I talked to had ever heard of the "super safemove" package. If I try to make a reservation online, it gives me the option of selecting the "safemove" package, but not the "super safemove" package.

I guess this whole thing could have been avoided if I wasn't so anal about checking requirements and such about getting into Canada. Anyway, I've determined that my options are...

1. Screw the liability insurance and just don't hit anyone or anything on the way up.
2. Screw U-Haul and go with upack.com.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 12:12 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,757,961 times
I wouldn't rent one other than for local hauling. To get to Alaska from the States in a Uhaul van/truck you are going to put out at least five grand.

My view is to buy a step-van, box van or the like (in good shape), use it to move all your gear and then sell it, even if you break even for what you paid for it, you aren't out the five grand, but in most cases you can find a buyer for more than what you paid for it that wants to move South. You want to make sure that the unit you buy is under 26,000 GVW so you don't need to have a Commercial Drivers License (CDL), or you can use it to get your Class "B" CDL for a job later on. Most of the box vans and step vans are well under that GVW.

Have done that a couple of times with friends that moved back up after headed South for a few years and found the grass wasn't greener on the other side of the hill.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:47 PM

21,009 posts, read 22,145,712 times
Have you thought about selling everything that can be replaced once you got here?

Old 04-13-2010, 12:49 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,757,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Have you thought about selling everything that can be replaced once you got here?
Yeah, that works too, then all you need is a pickup... or small trailer...

Old 04-13-2010, 01:45 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,177,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I wouldn't rent one other than for local hauling. To get to Alaska from the States in a Uhaul van/truck you are going to put out at least five grand.

My view is to buy a step-van, box van or the like (in good shape), use it to move all your gear and then sell it, even if you break even for what you paid for it, you aren't out the five grand, but in most cases you can find a buyer for more than what you paid for it that wants to move South. You want to make sure that the unit you buy is under 26,000 GVW so you don't need to have a Commercial Drivers License (CDL), or you can use it to get your Class "B" CDL for a job later on. Most of the box vans and step vans are well under that GVW.

Have done that a couple of times with friends that moved back up after headed South for a few years and found the grass wasn't greener on the other side of the hill.

Starlite has hit the nail on the head. If I was moving UP to Alaska I would not rent a uhaul, but instead buy a box truck or an enclosed trailer. You will be able to sell it for more than you paid for it....which ultimately reduces your moving cost. Here is a real live example using CL.

Wyoming-
1991 Ford F350 14' box delivery truck, approximately 40,000 miles on rebuilt engine done in 2006. Has a pull down ramp for loading and unloading, wide enough for a handcart. Was used by a local business for appliance deliveries so was kept up well. Needs gas float and could use better tires. Asking $3500.00

Wasilla (you may get more if you are headed to Fairbanks)-
14 foot box truck with 45000 miles on the drive train, good tires, 7.5 liter triatan engine, 4 speed over drive automatic transmission. Very strong running truck. Retail value $6900. Call for more information. $4500

They both look like early 90's trucks. The one in Anchorage is an old UHaul truck. This of course, is just an example. It is theonly easy apple for apples comparison I could find.

See, now i am headed to Florida. This is why I am shipping my goods instead of buying a truck and selling it.

Anchorage -
Extremely low miles. Box is insulated and set up for mobile shop or hauling. Has a toe hitch and a high pay load. It has a Diesel, V8 Detroit, Fuel Miesser. 8.5 Liter. Must see to appreciate. $6900 (This thing looks pretty old and beat up if you saw the pic)

Tampa-
1985 GMC 7000
Detroit Diesel
Automatic
Lift Gate
Ice Cold Air conditioning
Runs and Drives Great
Ready to make money
$2900

Old 04-13-2010, 01:58 PM

4,728 posts, read 5,152,020 times
Another alternative is to get a temporary rider from your current insurance company (or another if need be) to cover your liability in the U-Haul, and meeting Canada's requirements as well.

Personally, I've never had any issue with my insurance company covering a U-Haul or any out-of-country travel. They never told me that a U-Haul was a different class of vehicle (unless it's big enough to need a pro CDL, then it's a "commuter vehicle"). But maybe I just have really good insurance.

I never get the U-Haul insurance package (or any other rental vehicle's insurance) because it's total crap. But, again, I do have good insurance that also covers *me* no matter what vehicle I'm driving. I *may* get the damage package which just covers damage to their vehicle, but only if it's a new truck in really good condition. Most of the time, a one-way to Alaska, you're not going to get the newest and spiffiest truck (in fact, you may get a truck that just *barely* makes it here before dying -- been there, done that).

You can reserve whatever equipment and coverages you like online. Don't worry about it, when you go to pick up the truck at the local office you have to sign everything, so you can make changes and upgrades to the coverages you selected during the reservation. The only thing they really care about is that you get your equipment right -- there's no changing that one normally. If you think you might need the larger truck (or car trailer, whatever), reserve it, because you probably won't be able to switch it at the last minute.

But, yeah, if you can sell off stuff and replace it for less than the cost of renting the truck or shipping it, then do so! Driving a loaded U-Haul through the mountains is not the most fun thing in the world unless you're really into that sort of harrowing masochism The only things I brought with me were personal items and things that I knew I'd have a hard time replacing up here (some specialty tools, etc).

Old 04-14-2010, 09:14 AM

42 posts, read 54,916 times
Thanks, guys. I'm evaluating all options right now. I'll get it figured out somehow. It's been a headache for the past couple of days, but it will be worth it in about three weeks!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:46 PM

189 posts, read 173,071 times
Ok so we have been looking at the same options with uhaul.. for us driving from Missouri a 10 ft Uhaul truck is going to cost us about 1500.00. That is with the liability insurance. I know for that kind of money the only vehicle we could get to turn around and sell, wouldn't make it there. How dangerous is the drive from Missouri to Anchorage in a uhaul . We can't come in one car as it doesn't fit our family of 7 plus 3 pets. We looked into a rental car, that would have cost us over 5000.00 so definitely not an option. We aren't moving much, but then again, everyone has told us to wait to mail our belonging from Anchorage instead of mailing from here ahead of time. We are selling all our furniture, with the exception of our brand new washer and dryer, and our new king size bed, we are hoping to have those delivered in later, meanwhile going to store them. So the only boxes we will have will be our Christmas decorations (special ornaments and sentiments things only), as well as kitchen stuff, and our knick knacks, pictures ect that make home feel like home. The district we are moving to is supplying us with all furniture we need, including beds (but am not counting on more then a full size for the adults and I very much like my king size bed!) It seems to us the Uhaul was our best option, but now I am worried about the safety of driving it!

Old 04-14-2010, 04:02 PM

4,728 posts, read 5,152,020 times
UHauls are safe enough to drive long distance through Canada and the mountains as long as it's summer, it's not totally over weight, you don't drive super-fast, and you're used to driving any type of larger vehicle that has a high center of gravity. The most dangerous part of driving a big box van like that is that it likes to sway and rock on you if you're going too fast, especially on the curvey or steep parts. But you should have plenty of time to get used to it's quirks before you get to the scarier parts of the drive. Take your time, take frequent breaks, never pass an open gas station if your tank is less than half full or you aren't positive there is another gas station open within the next 2 hours... in other words, buy a Milepost magazine and call ahead to verify the more remote stuff.

The Al-Can is highly traveled, especially in summer. If your truck should breakdown, you won't have to wait very long (if at all) before someone passes you and can at least get a tow truck out to you from the nearest town. The semi-truckers are almost always willing to stop and help, even giving one of you a ride into town to call UHaul... of course, it takes UHaul forever to get anyone out to you, so you're usually better off telliong them that you will get someone to at least come tow you in and then charging it back to UHaul when you return the vehicle (we did this with a ruptured tire in Dawson Creek).

Old 04-14-2010, 05:08 PM

440 posts, read 525,076 times
My husband and I have done the Alcan with a U-haul (starting in Anchorage). The U-haul was carrying my car. In 1990, my husband had to get to his next posting in Colorado; so we were going down the Alcan and outside of Teslin Junction, a tire on the Uhaul trailer blew out. So we went back to Teslin Junction, called UHAUL and they couldn't give us a day when they'd be out. We waited two days. Then called them to let them know that we were going to leave the trailer outside of a motel in Teslin. And we took off. So from that experience, I'd be cautious about using a Uhaul (more specifically in frontier areas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska