Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:45 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times

Advertisements

I am toying with the idea of driving from the East to Alaska. Just me and the dog. I have never been to the West coast (you can't count a stop over at LAX), so I would be planning many stops along the way. No time limit.

To start with a plan, my first questions would be when would be the best time of year to arrive in Alaska by car? I would want to avoid any winter or servere weather (if possible) and also bug season.

Suggestions or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM

455 posts, read 743,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Iwould be when would be the best time of year to arrive in Alaska by car? I would want to avoid any winter or servere weather (if possible) and also bug season.
September 1 - 5 would be your only option to avoid inclement weather and bugs No in all seriousness you may want to consider September if you really don't like bugs or winter.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:57 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
Come up in early May.

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

Your Gateway to the Circumpolar North - ExploreNorth

Old 02-16-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
September 1 - 5 would be your only option to avoid inclement weather and bugs No in all seriousness you may want to consider September if you really don't like bugs or winter.
September could work.... Thanks.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:11 PM

So should my destination be Achorage (did I spell that correctly?) and then branch out from there?

Old 02-18-2011, 05:48 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
I am toying with the idea of driving from the East to Alaska. Just me and the dog. I have never been to the West coast (you can't count a stop over at LAX), so I would be planning many stops along the way. No time limit.

To start with a plan, my first questions would be when would be the best time of year to arrive in Alaska by car? I would want to avoid any winter or servere weather (if possible) and also bug season.

Suggestions or comments?
I remember years ago driving at least twice from Plattsburgh, NY to the "left coast, and then to Alaska. The second time I decided to bypass all the road tolls, and drove North to Canada, and then West on Canada to somewhere past Michigan, and then South to the US and West to Seattle where I stayed with some friends for a few days. But back then the US dollar's value was higher than the Canadian Loony, so it may be worth paying the US road tolls

Old 02-20-2011, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,623 times
Quote:

Suggestions or comments?
Begin your trip the end of May and without a time limit you could plan to arrive the end of june or middle of July. However, it depends on how long you plan to explore Alaska once you arrive because you have to keep in mind that driving out coud be a problem if you stay until the end of Aug if winter decides to arrive early.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 5,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber512011 View Post
Begin your trip the end of May and without a time limit you could plan to arrive the end of june or middle of July. However, it depends on how long you plan to explore Alaska once you arrive because you have to keep in mind that driving out coud be a problem if you stay until the end of Aug if winter decides to arrive early.
If you arrive in Alaska in September, you wont have much time to really explore Alaska because there is sometimes snow by the 4th week of september. If you plan on driving back to the lower 48, you might run into some rough weather.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:29 PM

319 posts, read 963,440 times
Default september?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber512011 View Post
If you arrive in Alaska in September, you wont have much time to really explore Alaska because there is sometimes snow by the 4th week of september. If you plan on driving back to the lower 48, you might run into some rough weather.
hehe what about the mountain passes? it can snow early up there.i'd call the whole trip off if i were u there's about 2 days between bugs&snow.kinda picky.but i guess there are no bugs in jersey.and i must agree i go canada all the way.less traffic.i did it once 30yrs ago.still waiting for the snow to melt in the pass so i can get the hell out of here.i think these alaskins are holding me hostage.they think they are funny.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:32 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
The highway is kept open year round, wouldn't worry about snow in September. The Canadian road crews are out right after it snows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska