U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:35 PM

428 posts, read 652,033 times

Advertisements

I have a question for those of you in the know -

How easy is air travel between bush villages? I imagine that small aircraft fly between villages and hubs with some frequency, but do they fly from village to village, or does a traveler need to fly to a hub and then bounce back out to the destination village?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:40 PM

21,366 posts, read 34,256,680 times
Out here it depends on the routing of the plane on the mail run. Since you mentioned Kalskag in the other thread, you basically have one choice. Aniak comes down to Bethel and stops in KLG on the way down. It makes a return trip and stops in the village on the way up. You can always charter a plane if you can't get to where you are going.

Hageland Aviation Services - Passenger and Cargo Service to rural Alaska - Aircraft Charter Service in Anchorage

Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 PM

854 posts, read 1,747,654 times
probably at least one flight in and out on a daily basis, probably more. it'll just depend on which direction they're headed- plenty of opportunity to go directly from one village to another so long as it's on the same route.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:44 AM

6,381 posts, read 12,862,587 times
In the Bush, planes are the taxi of choice... either that or walk...

Old 04-21-2010, 05:55 AM

428 posts, read 652,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
In the Bush, planes are the taxi of choice... either that or walk...
...or I could just drive it. I looked on a map and found Bethel to be only about seventy miles or so from where I expect to go. Shucks - I could drive that in an hour.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,811,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
...or I could just drive it. I looked on a map and found Bethel to be only about seventy miles or so from where I expect to go. Shucks - I could drive that in an hour.
Years ago the State opened up some areas of the Kuskokwim River for homesteading. Lots of folks showed up. Some even managed to homestead a few acres and prove up on it.

But many more were just like you; they looked at a map, and figured it all out. They'd choose a nice sunny southern slope with a little stream running by that would take them to the main river.

One example was a guy who shipped his boat to Aniak a week or so before breakup one year. Eventually we got him to talk to us, and it was astounding. He'd shipped a 12 foot boat with 5 horse engine to a location about 70 miles down river from where he wanted to homestead. He showed us, and described his methodology in choosing, his site. We pointed out to him that his map was more than 30 some years old. The "nice little stream" on the map may or may not even exist, but if it does it would never have enough water to navigate in except when the main river is flooding during breakup. His only access would be to hand carry enough tools across the swampy tundra from the river to his site, and then to build, with the tools he'd carried, a runway.

He didn't believe us.

We asked him how he expected to get his stuff up the river against the current in that boat. He said he had an inflatable raft (he did too), and would tow everything up the river. We pointed out that if he filled the boat to maximum capacity with fuel, he couldn't tow that raft empty and get that far.

He didn't believe us.

So when the ice cleared out of the river, we all laughed as he headed out. He made it about 12 miles. He pulled the raft up on the beach, emptied the boat, and drifted back to Aniak.

And that's when he really annoyed me with abject stupidity! He landed at Aniak, told the first person he saw where his junk was, said they could have it, got on the jet and left forever. And it wasn't me that got all of his stuff! Dang it.

Whatever, in the summer time you'll play Hell driving 70 miles from Bethel in anything other than a gas guzzling boat. In the winter you certainly can drive a car, truck or 4-wheeler that far... but I'd like to see a video of your face when you discover the phenomena known as "overflow". (Video, because i don't want to be close enough to see the real thing on account of at that point your life is 50-50.)

Old 04-21-2010, 11:11 AM

2,685 posts, read 4,564,424 times
I was talking to Stan Holey one time at the Iditarod headquarters. He was saying a reporter from back east called wanting help booking hotel rooms along the Iditarod route. When he told her there wasn't any hotels, just scattered cabins and small villages, she said no problem, she'd just rent an RV and stay in it as she drove the route. He had to explain to here that there was no roads either. Just miles and miles of wilderness. Her response: "well, why in the hell would anyone want to travel through such a desolate place?"
I drove tour bus for two summers. I had someone ask me one time if there was a road to the top of Denali.
We should have some sort of screening system at the border...

Old 04-21-2010, 11:43 AM

2,519 posts, read 6,287,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
In noticed the wink...someone else may not have.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:49 AM

21,366 posts, read 34,256,680 times
If you do get a snowmachine wait a while until there is a marked trail out on the river. There normally is a marked one year round. Don't go venturing off on your own, there are many places up in that area that the river doesn't freeze solid year round due to the current. The river is more swift up in that area.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:50 AM

6,992 posts, read 11,138,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
In noticed the wink...someone else may not have.
I noticed it but still am not sure if it was in regards to making it in an hour, thinking he could drive there, or was tongue in cheek about the whole statement....ya never know 'cuz ya got people who just cannot believe there are no roads to many many towns, no road to the top of Denali...etc etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska