U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:23 PM

24 posts, read 36,214 times

Advertisements

Hey Floyd,
Yes , we experienced allot in the 2 years we were there. We stay at "The Top of THe World Hotel", ate at North of the Border and had our anniversary dinner at NARL, rode in the Tuttu Taxi, and shopped at the Stuapuk. We were in the village the year the whales were trapped. I was at the old Ipalook. Really looking forward to the new school and position. It will be interesting to see the changes. The planning is not as daunting as last time.
Maybe we will see you sometime.
Beckie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 04:43 PM

Mplsjacob
I would call home to (Baudette) and Bemidji when we were in Barrow and it was often colder here than there. It was funny. My Mom would always ask if she could send us things. I told her it was much like shopping in Baudette. THey even sent us a 4 foot real Christmas Tree when we were there. The only one in town!! Barrow is above the tree line, so no trees for 500 miles. You could do it if you lived through multiple Minnesota winters!!

Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 PM

1,052 posts, read 882,193 times
Wonderful news decaff38. International Falls MN is called the icebox of the nation for a reason as you and I well know. We are leaving quite early next Saturday.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:12 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,054,320 times
This should be relevant to the conversation. I tried to post a neat graph from weather.com, but it did not work out so well.

Average Daily High Temperature by month

Minneapolis Mn 22] 29] 41] 57] 70] 79] 83] 80] 71] 58] 40] 26]
Bemidji MN 16] 24] 36] 53] 67] 75] 79] 77] 66] 54] 34] 21]
Barrow AK -8 ]-10]-7] 6] 25] 40] 47] 44] 35] 19] 5] -5]

Old 04-24-2010, 07:14 PM

3,538 posts, read 4,517,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
Wonderful news decaff38. International Falls MN is called the icebox of the nation for a reason as you and I well know. We are leaving quite early next Saturday.
Folks in Minnesota often get the idea that it is warmer in Alaska than it is there (which isn't even close to true) for a particular reason. Any time it is actually cold in MN, which is the only time they of course are interested in checking Alaska temps, it is almost necessarily cold there only because it is warm here! When the north-south jet stream (which is sort of like a high pressure water hose jumping all over the place because nobody is holding it down) happens to squirt warmer air a little farther north than usual, the result is that cold air which normally moves from Siberian into Alaska is instead forced to travel a little farther east before it can go south. When it moves into Canada instead of Alaska it pushes cold Canadian air down into the Lower-48. Indeed, meteorologists watch the weather in Fairbanks very closely. Anytime Fairbanks get warm, some place in the Lower-48 is going to get cold. Usually it will be the great lakes area and northern MN takes the brunt, but sometimes it is east or west of there, which is when the other states get winter storms.

Of course for most of the winter it isn't all that cold in MN and it is all that much colder in Alaska.

In Fairbanks it isn't unknown for it to snow when it warms up... to -45F. We don't see that here in Barrow, as it usually won't snow until it warms up to -30F here. :-)

Old 04-24-2010, 07:19 PM

Funny you should post that about the same time as I did Floyd!
See the post above to add to your post.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/compare
A little trick of the trade. I started it out by comparing the town by where I live to Barrow. You can select any larger community in the US and Canada. Neat if your bored, or a weather nerd like me.

Last edited by Minnesota Spring; 04-24-2010 at 07:29 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 07:29 PM

3,538 posts, read 4,517,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
This should be relevant to the conversation. I tried to post a neat graph from weather.com, but it did not work out so well.

Average Daily High Temperature by month

Minneapolis Mn 22] 29] 41] 57] 70] 79] 83] 80] 71] 58] 40] 26]
Bemidji MN 16] 24] 36] 53] 67] 75] 79] 77] 66] 54] 34] 21]
Barrow AK -8 ]-10]-7] 6] 25] 40] 47] 44] 35] 19] 5] -5]
Hmmm... note that our record all time high temperature, at 79 degrees, is equal or lower than the average temp in at least one month at both of those locations! Most years we don't have any days that get into the mid-70's.

There are some interesting things that aren't obvious from such charts, and I don't know about MN so maybe somebody can add to this.

In Barrow the "first snow" of the winter is in the first week of October. That is, there is snow on the ground on October 7th that is not going to melt until June the next year. Before that, say for example on the 4th of July, if it snows it will melt that day or the next. :-)

We virtually never see rain from early October to the end of May the following year. And actually very little rain until at least August. August and September are the only two months were it is likely to "rain" much. And even then it is only a drizzle, never a pour.

We only get, including maybe 30 inches of snow, a total precipitation that is equivalent to less than 5 inches of rain all year. This is a desert!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:51 PM

4,215 posts, read 5,389,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
We only get, including maybe 30 inches of snow, a total precipitation that is equivalent to less than 5 inches of rain all year. This is a desert!
Just curious, I know this is a really broad question but how much snow in on the ground in a typical winter day?

Old 04-24-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Hmmm... note that our record all time high temperature, at 79 degrees, is equal or lower than the average temp in at least one month at both of those locations! Most years we don't have any days that get into the mid-70's.

There are some interesting things that aren't obvious from such charts, and I don't know about MN so maybe somebody can add to this.

In Barrow the "first snow" of the winter is in the first week of October. That is, there is snow on the ground on October 7th that is not going to melt until June the next year. Before that, say for example on the 4th of July, if it snows it will melt that day or the next. :-)

We virtually never see rain from early October to the end of May the following year. And actually very little rain until at least August. August and September are the only two months were it is likely to "rain" much. And even then it is only a drizzle, never a pour.

That interesting for sure. I kind of had an idea as I have an in-law that works in Prudhoe Bay. I did not know that it could snow on the 4th of July though

Since you inquired about Minnesota:
Where I'm at in Minnesota (SW) we usually see our first snow at the end of November, but it does not stick.
The snow that does stick falls in mid to late December and melts in early March. We usually see our last snow by late March.
It can also rain any month of the year (we had an inch of rain in both December and mid-January this year for example).
We had our last snow this year in mid-February and not even a trace since then, which is kind of unusual. They had snow on the ground later in Arkansas than we did here this year!
It was 80 degrees the last week of March this year at my place. 80's and humid is kind of too warm for my taste, so it is going to be a long year.

But still, I have lived in southern Minnesota most of my life and I very rarely go to northern Minnesota, but I know that the northern half of the state is different much of the time.

It seems like people in the lower 48 think Minnesota is the coldest place on earth though (the tundra of the lower 48). When I was growing up I even convinced my cousins from down south that we lived in igloos and hunted polar bears for dinner in Minnesota.

Last edited by Minnesota Spring; 04-24-2010 at 08:32 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 PM

I have lived in far Northern MN for most of my life and 40-50 below is not a unusual for up to 10 days at a time. THe wind usually pushes it further down too. Our schools do not close unless it is -45 either straight temp or wind chill. Our district is as big a Rhode Island so kids have to stand at bus stops and the road drift closed.Only had 2 days last year and none this year. We usually get the first snow in mid to late Oct. and the last snow is usually in March. Although, we got 24 inches of snow for 3 different weekends in APril 2 years ago! It would melt during the week and be back on the weekend. It has snowed on the 4th of July here but I don't remember it so it must have been 50 years ago or so. Have worn mittens to the parade a few times! When we lived in Barrow, it snowed the first time on Sept 20th! It melted and came back on the 1st of OCtober and did not leave. We left in mid May and almost all of the snow was gone. Those that live in Fairbanks need a medal! Wow for the extremes. We were glad we were in Barrow sometimes when we heard their forecast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska