Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 PM

191 posts, read 360,667 times

Advertisements

AQHA and Floyd. I've never lived in Barrow, only visited a couple of times, and funny thing is, you are both trying to do the impossible. There really is no way to explain the place to someone who hasn't been there, and I mean that in the physical sense, let alone the local politics, race relations, history etc.. It just is unique, there is no context to put it in. You can do all the explaining in the world, but that person won't really *know* anything until they step off that plane and look around. A "job" isn't likely to be what a person from somewhere else imagines a job to be. Housing probably won't be either. Floyd is right in the sense that "white privilege" is a real thing, and you won't really understand what that means until you've actually been someplace that doesn't exist. Sometimes I think questions of moving are overthought. You need to have a reasonable certainty that you can earn a living somewhere. Other than that, airplanes fly in and out. If it doesn't work you leave (though I'd make one exception, teachers should really attempt to have a long term commitment. The kids in the bush really get screwed by the constant turnover.) I also recommend reading the books by Elise Paktotak and Fran Tate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:54 PM

11 posts, read 20,316 times
Default Truth! Objective or subjective, that is a question!

AQHA touched something in my heart. Yes, I am using this forum as a 'life changing decisions'.

People who want to take a chance to start something again in Barrow other than millions of place in US, will have all kinds of some special reason.
It may be personal philosophy to the world, getting more chance to be sucessful financially, or just for experience of challenge for their life time career and a lot more, I think.

People would like to know as an outsider and hopeful insider of Barrow, how people live there, what is perspective of thier life, how they make their life in divere local business, chance to make a business there, job opportunity in local market, greeting neighbors to transplant ... ... ...

I believe Barrow Forum get some special focus from people, because of the uniqeness of location as a 'top of the world'. Lfie and people will be generally no difference, I believe. But because of uniqeness and absolute isolation as well as native inuit culture, questionaire will be endless here from newcomers to 'Barrowers'.

Hopefully no personal issue here, it will not helpful for the 'Barrowers'

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:13 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR1975 View Post
... because of uniqeness and absolute isolation as well as native inuit culture, questionaire will be endless here from newcomers to 'Barrowers'.
Other than the guy who sells himself as a Barrow expert, there just aren't that many Barrow people who post here. Some of us try to speak up and balance the stuff he says but he's not really one who takes to others who know more than he does. Sometimes the loudest voice is perceived as the smartest, sometimes the quiet voices knows more. I normally let him do his thing but when peoples lives are going to be altered by his foolishness someone has to insert some truth.

I wish anyone who wants to move to Barrow the very best, I get several PM's from folks who prefer honesty over ego. I'm always willing to discuss Barrow, the good and the bad.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:14 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
The good...the bad...but no ugly?

Old 04-29-2010, 04:25 PM

Ugly too. We are known as the "junk yard of the north." If junk represents wealth, we're a very rich community.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Ugly too. We are known as the "junk yard of the north." If junk represents wealth, we're a very rich community.
FOR THE TRUTH!!!!!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:06 PM

Yep, I recognize that spot Stiffnecked, I walk by there almost every day. Not really the picture of Alaska most people think of, nor the paradise our infamous poster speaks of. This picture is not just a one location thing either, this is pretty much what most yards look like. This particular gentleman has more "yard" so he can collect more "wealth" but almost all yards are stacked with junk.

Last edited by AQHA; 04-29-2010 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: another thought...

Old 04-29-2010, 05:20 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
I took that picture 23 years ago. I bet some of that stuff is still in the exact same place just covered by new stuff...

Old 04-29-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I took that picture 23 years ago. I bet some of that stuff is still in the exact same place just covered by new stuff...
Thats hilarious. yep, its still a mess of wealth.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:43 PM

191 posts, read 360,667 times
Steve, where do you live now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska