Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:16 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,476,261 times

Advertisements

It appears that the oil leakage will go on for about a few more days, they have plans for putting a steel and concrete dome over the leaking pipes to cap the escaping oil. Then the dome will have a line to it that they can pump the oil out of at the surface. Meanwhile there is another drill rig that is drilling a line to meet with that one down miles below the seabed floor to pump the oil out and relieve the pressure on the damaged line..

The world is saved...

Stay tuned for updates from Floyd on why it can't be done!!!....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 AM

941 posts, read 1,779,044 times
[quote=starlite9;14024062]... ...they have plans for putting a steel and concrete dome over the leaking pipes to cap the escaping oil.... the dome will have a line to it that they can pump the oil out of at the surface. Meanwhile there is another drill rig that is drilling a line to meet with that one down miles below the seabed floor to pump the oil out and relieve the pressure on the damaged line.. ...

They have been showing pictures of this dome under construction for several days on the local TV stations. Yesterday while I was watching a show about the Submersible Trieste they had a diagram showing how it works. They fill the top hull with diesel fuel, which is incompressible, and the diesel fuel provides buoyancy and then they use disposable weights to achieve positive or negative status so they can maneuver the vessel up and down. There was one caution in that this system for oil capture has never been tried at depth before and they have no idea of how fast they can pump the oil out of the dome. Based on what they said about the submersible I wonder at what point the dome could achieve positive buoyancy and depart for the surface. Also the diagram in yesterday's Wall Street Journal showed the system but said there were three places the oil was leaking from so this might not account for all the oil. They are presently coating the dome with something and hope to take it out to the site sometime today. They presently have one ship to contain the oil and there is stormy weather predicted for today. Let's hope it works.

The secondary well is progressing but the predicted time to cut off is in months not days.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:19 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,081,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
It appears that the oil leakage will go on for about a few more days, they have plans for putting a steel and concrete dome over the leaking pipes to cap the escaping oil. Then the dome will have a line to it that they can pump the oil out of at the surface. Meanwhile there is another drill rig that is drilling a line to meet with that one down miles below the seabed floor to pump the oil out and relieve the pressure on the damaged line..

The world is saved...

I hope this works and I hope it works well. As I have stated before, I am moving to Tampa in July so I have my eye on this spill very closely. I think this will help reduce the amount of oil that gets spewed into the gulf. One thing I am concerned about is once rough seas come, what happens to the boat that is collecting the oil? Does it just take off and oil spill into the gulf? Also, hurricane season is coming too, so hopefully this thing stays in place during and after the storms.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:40 AM

2,048 posts, read 3,779,180 times
BP stock value down $21 billion today...image that

Second party liability cap of $75 million....any question that BP will take advantage of that

Legislation began yesterday to modify that existing law to $10 billion for future oil leaks

Looks like this cap is a refit of some already existing piece of equipment..

Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 AM

400 posts, read 463,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post

The world is saved...

The world is saved???

What about all the damage this has created already?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:31 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,252,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
I hope this works and I hope it works well. As I have stated before, I am moving to Tampa in July so I have my eye on this spill very closely. I think this will help reduce the amount of oil that gets spewed into the gulf. One thing I am concerned about is once rough seas come, what happens to the boat that is collecting the oil? Does it just take off and oil spill into the gulf? Also, hurricane season is coming too, so hopefully this thing stays in place during and after the storms.
Well, they've already got somewhat rough seas due to normal summer storms, causing problems with the recovery effort by blowing booms around and making it unsafe for boats and planes to get out there. This whole winter was rough too, causing a lot of beach erosion out this way. Probably not going to let up too much going into the summer.

Hurricane season officially begins on June 1, but activity is usually pretty slow until mid-late August, by which time it looks like the relief well could be finished. So they've hopefully got some time, as long as the dome works in the meantime. I don't know enough about the potential effects of surface storms on deep sea conditions to know what the effects of a hurricane would be on something that far down, but it could sure cause problems for any operations on the surface.

And speaking of moving, we're getting notices of pretty high-paying biology jobs related to the cleanup efforts, and I'm going to miss out on any of that. I do think it's kind of odd for this to be going on down here now while I'm just about to move to Valdez.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:00 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,964,657 times
I am sure the ocean creatures did not get the memo.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,476,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyear View Post
The world is saved???

What about all the damage this has created already?
Same thing happens to the oil that leaks out naturally, it is biodegradible and goes away. The Bacteria that naturally eat it, are in turn eaten by bigger critters and so forth.

If they get these domes put over the leaks and stop the oil in a few days, and if the oil that is in the water stays out there for a few more weeks, it will be pretty much a non event... That is going to **** off the left really bad.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:12 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,839,257 times
Lefties are pro oil-spill? Or just let down that more didn't come of it? That would be rather selfish to have that stance. I am really sick of politics.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:29 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,603,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Lefties are pro oil-spill? Or just let down that more didn't come of it? That would be rather selfish to have that stance. I am really sick of politics.
I don't think you should hang your hat on what a dummy says lefties or righties believe. But one did say that he likes oil spills in Alaska because he is employed to do the cleanup work. I don't see that as left or right, just dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska