Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:12 PM

341 posts, read 1,015,070 times

Advertisements

Dang Danny you've got such a negative take on everything. I've seen a lot of stuff on the Discover Channel and other TV stations down here in the lower 48, and they talk like it's maybe no big deal coming up there.
I'll bet the government up there in Alaska has got a lot of programs helping people make whatever adjustmensts they need to make so they can fit in ?
I dunno, but what do you think about a lot of those Katrina people coming up there and settling into the Alaskan Culture ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 06:39 PM

136 posts, read 457,675 times
It is a big deal moving to Alaska. I'd suggest listening to people who actually live in Alaska rather than what is shown on TV. It might come as a surprise, but "reality TV" is an oxymoron. It's very easy to romanticize Alaska.

You have to realize that you can't just hop in the car and drive to another state. From Anchorage, it's 3 hours to Seward, 8-9 hours(?) to Fairbanks. You drive all day and you are still in Alaska. To go outside is very expensive. You can't drive to the state capitol.

It rains more than the sun shines. The winters are long and dark, and even in Anchorage, they can be very, very cold. The summers are glorious, but very brief. A warm day is 65.

You go for a walk on the "beach" outside Anchorage and you risk death.

The government is not going to do anything to help anyone move up. I have no idea where that notion came from. Besides, if the Discovery Channel and your other TV shows are correct about it being no big deal to move up, then why would the government need to do anything to help people. That makes no sense.

Take care.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:00 PM

1,121 posts, read 4,471,827 times
Default just curious

Just curious, which "smiley" are you supposed to use when you're deliberately yanking someones chain?

Old 06-15-2007, 08:07 PM

Hey, I'm actually kind of serious. Moving from the Gulf Coast to Alaska and not experiencing some sort of culture shock? Although, perhaps "culture shock" isn't the correct term. Cabin fever?

Anyway, when did you live in Eagle River, Rotorhead? I used to live in Eagle River, too and spent a great deal of time at the ERVC.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:13 AM

Default I was referring to

Actually, I was referring to "nunusguy", as it looked to me like they might just be yanking some chains here. I haven't heard of any large-scale program to relocate any Katrina refugees to any northern state...did I miss something? It would be hard to imagine a more different place from New Orleans than Alaska.

We moved from Eagle River almost exactly two years ago, lived there three winters and two summers (wish it would have been the other way 'round). If it was up to me, we never would have left but of course there are always other factors.

ERVC = the vet center? Or did you mean the nature center?

Old 06-16-2007, 07:40 AM

The nature center. It used to be the Eagle River Visitors Center when State Parks ran it. Now, I guess, they call it the Eagle River Nature Center. I'm not sure who "owns" it or runs it now.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,669,345 times
Send us your huddled masses. We will then cull them out and return the culturely shocked ones.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:41 PM

366 posts, read 383,239 times
I thought culture shock was something that those of us who live here get when we go Outside...

Quote:
Dang Danny you've got such a negative take on everything. I've seen a lot of stuff on the Discover Channel and other TV stations down here in the lower 48, and they talk like it's maybe no big deal coming up there.
I'll bet the government up there in Alaska has got a lot of programs helping people make whatever adjustmensts they need to make so they can fit in ?
I dunno, but what do you think about a lot of those Katrina people coming up there and settling into the Alaskan Culture ?
What a fun post. It's all true, just like it's true what the other tv show says, Men In Trees.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:18 AM

Default I gotta start watching more TV

I guess I gotta start watching more TV, I haven't seen any of the shows that people refer to these days....never even saw a single episode of "Northern Exposure" for example.

Oh well, if Hanes has a winter like last one, I guess I'll have a chance to catch up.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:20 PM

341 posts, read 1,015,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy View Post
What a fun post. It's all true, just like it's true what the other tv show says, Men In Trees.
I dunno, so what would you expect from a fun guy but a fun post ?
I'm not like Danny who's always so serious and negative and trying to scare us off down here from coming up to Alaska and having fun with the rest of you guys.
I'm thinking Danny might be one of those guys who did have trouble with the long, cold, & dimmly lit Alaskan winters and, well you know, kinda "went around the bend" as the saying goes. It could probably mess with your mind if you didn't take care and keep an eye on things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska