U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM

5 posts, read 12,268 times
Default Light and dark days?

I have a friend who loved it up there in Alaska and I've always wanted to visit, is it really dark an entire day up there or sunny the entire day? How do you deal with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-18-2010, 08:46 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,748,959 times
Tue May 18, 2010
Sunrise Sunset Official Time 04:59 AM
10:50 PM
Civil Twilight 03:41 AM
12:08 AM
Tomorrow 04:57 AM
10:52 PM
Tomorrow will be: 4 minutes longer.
Amount of sunlight: 17h 51m

Unread 05-18-2010, 09:37 PM

6,248 posts, read 7,023,928 times
Even up in the very Northern parts of Alaska, it is "Legally" dark 24 hours because the sun doesn't come above the horizion in winter, but there is daylight for a few hours then fades back into night... But as far a totally darkness, not really, that is more Hollyweird...

Summer, the sun doesn't set for months up North, and it doesn't get dark, gets to looking like a sunset, then sunrise.

Unread 05-18-2010, 11:38 PM

1,450 posts, read 2,168,014 times
It is differt as summer is only thing I can speak of. Been here a week now. Cover the windows. I went fishing on Sat woke up before alarm feaking out that I overslept. It was 5:45am...all good.other night I went out after the day. Thinking it was around 8pm the bartender annouced she was closing..It was 11.30.opps.but before or after work you still have light to do things. My problem is more time and direction that I am used to telling by the sun. It goes more in a circle than up and down.

Unread 05-19-2010, 08:30 AM

689 posts, read 648,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
My problem is more time and direction that I am used to telling by the sun. It goes more in a circle than up and down.
This is true. The sun coming out of the north (well, northeast and northwest) is pretty disorienting. Still, after the long winter, I don't think many of us are complaining about overabundant daylight and sunshine. Besides, in summer up here, acting like you're on crack is expected and even encouraged. You know, lack of sleep, unexplainable energy, mild disorientation from the weird light... Just ride the wave, then crash and burn in October (September if you're old).

Unread 05-19-2010, 09:04 AM

665 posts, read 671,895 times
I grew up in Fairbanks thinking that having twilight for hours and hours in the summertime was normal. Even though we moved outside 20+ years ago, summer evenings everywhere else still seem weird: "What, the sun's already going down?!"

Maybe it's just cause I grew up with it, but to me summer evenings in Alaska are as close to heaven as you'll see here on earth. Living in New Mexico now, where everyone raves about the quality of the light. What I was surprised to find is that it reminds me a lot of summer twilight in Fairbanks.

Living in Alaska you learn to more or less ignore whether it's light or dark out when pursuing your daily activities. The darkness in the winter never bothered me since I did my thing regardless of where the sun was or wasn't.

Unread 01-10-2011, 02:15 PM

3,639 posts, read 2,551,924 times
It really depends on WHERE you are, too. Alaska is HUGE! According to what I've researched, the Panhandle gets darkness between times of civil twilight year round, even if for only a couple of hours in the summer, but the farther north you go, civil twilight lasts from sunset to sunrise in the summer. (Though even in Juneau it seems during summer that even between civil twilight, nautical and astronomical twilight are still present). Above the arctic circle they see the sun for days on end, just dipping low on the horizon before coming back up again.

Inversely in winter, the sun may come up for a few hours with some civil twilight on each side (before sunrise and after sunset), but above the arctic circle they get only civil twilight at best through most of the winter. I'm sure it varies on how far above the circle you are, too. The farther north you go, and larger the variations of daylight/night between seasons.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong here.

Unread 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM

4,323 posts, read 1,186,242 times
In Barrow Alaska (most nothern point). From May till August you will not see darkness one bit.

I agree with the person who said - summers in Alaska ( up north) are truely heaven on earth.

I was shocked to find out that Hawaii it gets dark @ six p.m. !!

(thereabouts). Summers in Alaska are the best anywhere. As long as you stay out in that sun - you easily become solar powered !! It is easy to stay awake and alert for 3 days !! Been there - done that too many times in the past 30 years up here.

Unread 01-10-2011, 02:38 PM

6,055 posts, read 3,734,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperadoTT View Post
I have a friend who loved it up there in Alaska and I've always wanted to visit, is it really dark an entire day up there or sunny the entire day? How do you deal with that.
It depends where you live. The largest city in Alaska (Anchorage) longest day is about 22 hours and the shortest day is about 5 hours. The stereotype of 24 hour days in summer and 0 hour days in winter comes from Barrow, but the population up there is minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska