Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 190,422 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Anchorage in a few months and I was wondering what type of car will be suitable for the area. I currently have a Toyota Corolla and figured it probably wouldn't hack it during the winter season, so I was wondering if say a Subaru WRX that has 4x4 would suffice, or will I need a truck of some kind? Also I was wondering if the prices of cars in Alaska are more expensive due to the location. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 01:58 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,380 times
In a recent survey of the parking lot outside the building, fully 50% of the vehicles were pickups, 33% were SUV's and the remainder were ordinary cars. I have driven the old lady's Cobalt here in town, and it's fine. She drives it to work and back everyday. Nothing wrong with a Toyota car. Just get a set of snow tires and maybe an engine block heater installed.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the response, I understand that the majority of the time the snow isn't too bad, but do the roads ever get bad enough that I would need a truck to get around and if so how many months out of the year. Also how well are the roads maintained when it does snow. Thanks

Old 06-15-2007, 03:37 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjaychang View Post
Thanks for the response, I understand that the majority of the time the snow isn't too bad, but do the roads ever get bad enough that I would need a truck to get around and if so how many months out of the year. Also how well are the roads maintained when it does snow. Thanks
Actually, your Corolla will do just fine...just get a set of studded snow tires, as suggested. You'll see trucks that get stuck, because of no studs and being so light in the rear. I lived in Anchorage for 17 years, and did just fine with regular 2-wheel drive trucks and cars. If you're going to be living on a steep hill, then you can always switch to something with 4-wheel drive, but otherwise I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Bud

Old 06-15-2007, 06:56 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,117 times
Default delivery charge

When we were shopping in Anchorage for a used SUV, the prices weren't much more than anywhere else. If you buy new, they'll try to get a high "deliver charge" or fee, I think it was about $2000 versus about $700-$800 in other states. There was some sort of class-action lawsuit about it a while ago as I recall, naming the major dealers in ANC with collusion and overcharging if I remember right.

Suburus are omnipresent, and 4x4s are very popular. A bit more ground clearance doesn't hurt if you get out before the plows do their work, but they're very good about clearing the major roads in Anchorage and Eagle River.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:12 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,300 times
Default A corolla would be possible, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I would honestly reconsider bringing the corolla. An all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive vehicle really is the way to go. We had a rough winter last year with some serious snowfall here in Anchorage and we did have a full 24 hour period where some of the roads weren't able to get plowed. This happened a few times and the roads became horrible. Even in 4 wheel drive pickup I was having trouble and I am a very experienced winter driver. The other aspect of a small vehicle is the tiny size with very low clearance. If you were to get into an accident, plowing into a large pickup or SUV would not be fun. If you really would like to have a car, then I highly recommend a front wheel drive car with studs. What kind of winter driving experience do you have?

Old 06-15-2007, 08:27 PM

136 posts, read 459,394 times
When I lived up there, I owned one of the ubiquitous silver subies. I always had to remember where I was parked; otherwise, I'd end up walking all over the lot trying to figure out which one was mine.

It was a great car, though. Got me through anything.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
I would honestly reconsider bringing the corolla. An all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive vehicle really is the way to go. We had a rough winter last year with some serious snowfall here in Anchorage and we did have a full 24 hour period where some of the roads weren't able to get plowed. This happened a few times and the roads became horrible. Even in 4 wheel drive pickup I was having trouble and I am a very experienced winter driver. The other aspect of a small vehicle is the tiny size with very low clearance. If you were to get into an accident, plowing into a large pickup or SUV would not be fun. If you really would like to have a car, then I highly recommend a front wheel drive car with studs. What kind of winter driving experience do you have?
I am fairly proficient in driving in winter conditions, so I should be alright. If I were to make trips up to Fairbanks on a semi regular basis, how are the roads that far north? Thanks for all the responses so far.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:03 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,117 times
Default depends

The road conditions depend largely on how much snow falls and how fast, if the road crews are on top of it (and they usually are) they'll start right when it starts snowing and at least the Glen Highway will be clear. The further out form the major streets you live the less likely you'll be to have a cleared road when you head out to work on a heavy snow day, unless you happen to live on the same street as one of the city council, in which case you'll probably be fine.

In all honesty, for the average city driver with a front-wheel drive car having a set of real snow tires (not "all season" or M&S) is probably more important than having 4wd, but of course having both is best. The higher ground clearance is only an issue when the ruts get deep or they're totally slammed and the street hasn't been plowed at all. Its also a factor when you're trying to breach the berm that the city inevitably plows in front of everyone driveway right after you get it shoveled. How is it that they never seem to come by right before you get the bottom done?

Now of course this all changes if what you're actually looking for is an excuse to talk yourself into buying a Subaru WRX, in which case...yes, you totally need one. Plan on buying new headlights almost every spring and a new windshield every other year or so, as the cinders thrown up from the highway will do a number on your car just like everyone elses when all that snow melts. If you're totally adverse to having rock chips in the paint, you're in for a painful experience as well unless you have the wherewithal to have a "summer car" and a "winter car".

Old 06-16-2007, 05:12 PM

82 posts, read 393,152 times
The Subarus are very popular but I have seen all kinds of cars in Anchorage and Alaska. It is a lot better to drive there in the snow then it is here in the southwestern US. People there actually know how to drive in snow and do not freak out if they slide a little. Here, you get two snowflakes and the city shuts down for the day. There, it is life as usually in a snow storm. It seemed to me all you needed was a good set of tires. Also, remember, especially near Fairbanks it stays below freezing most of the winter which means very little ice. Ice forms when temperatures go from freezing to non freezing and back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska