U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:18 PM

189 posts, read 265,511 times

Advertisements

So a photo and discussion of the photo up in the Alaska picture thread (thanks Warpt) got me to wondering. What kind of creepy crawlies will I encounter in Alaska? I know mosquitoes can be a problem. Here in the summers we deal with all types of ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, ants, houseflies, fruit flies, horse flies...in other words lots of bugs, in your house you deal in the summer with the flies, spiders (year round), and fruit flies, as well as the dreaded ant infestations, and some unlucky souls also get to fight with fleas, and roaches. Fall we get the lady bug infestations..and the false lady bugs that bite! You know come to think of it Missouri is a buggy state LOL and those are just the annoying ones! Do you guys have any typical bugs that invade your homes to fight off? Spiders are they are problem in the home? We had a brown recluse invasion in one of our homes.. talk about shaking out shoes and clothes before putting them on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 01:03 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,312,626 times
Keep in mind when you kill a mosquito, all of it's relatives will show up for it's funeral!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:06 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,385,056 times
Lots of creepy crawlies...oh your not asking about the 2 legged ones hahahaha......I'm sure someone will tell you all about the snow snakes, ice worms, enormous mosquitoes (drain ya dry in minutes!) and the other creepy crawlies....

Old 05-28-2010, 01:08 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,385,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Keep in mind when you kill a mosquito, all of it's relatives will show up for it's funeral!
beautiful Warpt! lov your sense of humor!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:13 PM

20,429 posts, read 26,555,365 times
Well, there is that Sarah Palin creature....

no fleas or snakes though

The farther north you go, the less varied the species of plants and animals are, so we probably don't have the variety of insects here that you do in MO, and their seasons are much shorter. Mosquitos are the worst, lots of flies et al, spiders, and I've heard of a cockroach infestation in Wasilla.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:22 PM

10,396 posts, read 8,351,291 times
Yeah those Wasilla roaches are transplants from the overload in Chicago.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:44 PM

5,352 posts, read 15,858,220 times
Next to mosquitoes, no-see-ums are the most irritating insects here. The main problem is that they are small enough to fit through most screens. Also, while the variety is not as great, the quantity here makes up for it. Spiders come out in the spring, but none of the poisonous kind.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
So that is what I have been doing wrong all this time.. why I am their favorite meal! We have what we call Gallon Nippers here, they are huge mosquitos, but very slow and easy enough to avoid being bit by. Keep in mind bugs don't scare me (ok well spiders don't count) just annoy LOL! As far as the 2 legged creepy crawlies, I think they have invaded everywhere *sigh* and boy howdy do they put up a fuss if you kill one of them

Old 05-28-2010, 01:54 PM

Do you guys fight spider infestations in the house? I know here spiders indoors is pretty common place and not a lot you can do but just keep up the good fight and hope none crawl into bed and bite you in your sleep (spider bites are just a fact of life here, like mosquito bites) We do all we can to keep them away, but they still manage to find their way in on a regular basis, almost worse here is ants, they like to invade in the spring and those buggers are a pain to keep out!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:26 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,873,806 times
We have spiders..and lots of hornets right now.

But I don't think people really understand what we mean by mosquitos. When we vacationed in Florida I was warned about the mosquitos when we were canoeing down a swampy creek. I hardly noticed any.

In the Kuskokwim River country above Mcgrath I once killed more than 30 mosquitos...in one swat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or