Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:59 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post
Does not make me want to go out polar bear searching...

Edit: Also... Do I have to be a native to do the Native Olympics? I think I have a shot in the ear pull competition, as many times as I have been bad as a child, my ears are now strong as can be.
As far as I know just about anyone can enter.

The ear pull competition doesn't actually have much to do with how strong your ears are, BTW. It's how tough your mind is as your ear is very slowly being sliced off by a string...

Ah, I'll take you out looking for bears when you get here. By then there won't be any... :-)

I don't wear heavy boots though (sneakers, but not really running shoes). Still, you won't need to worry about out running me! It's something you'd be able to do almost any time, except of course when a bear goes after us. (That's a very special time for you. It's the time that I pull out my little .22 pistol and shoot you in the knee cap, just before I escape.)

Life's too short to worry about running faster than a bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Floyd, when do they do the blanket toss thing (Sorry for my ignorance in wording, if there is a better name for it).
Nalukataq is the blanket toss. Here is Barrow that is in the last week of June this year. Something like the 24th through the 29th or so. (If you need the exact dates I can find them, or you can do a google search and find the North Slope Borough web page that has the dates for this year.)

Old 06-11-2010, 09:48 AM

471 posts, read 1,062,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
As far as I know just about anyone can enter.

The ear pull competition doesn't actually have much to do with how strong your ears are, BTW. It's how tough your mind is as your ear is very slowly being sliced off by a string...

Ah, I'll take you out looking for bears when you get here. By then there won't be any... :-)

I don't wear heavy boots though (sneakers, but not really running shoes). Still, you won't need to worry about out running me! It's something you'd be able to do almost any time, except of course when a bear goes after us. (That's a very special time for you. It's the time that I pull out my little .22 pistol and shoot you in the knee cap, just before I escape.)

Life's too short to worry about running faster than a bear.
At least you realize that the .22 wont do anything against a bear. :P You would probably shoot me in the knee cap and then remember it was only a few more feet before we get to a snow machine. "meh"

Well I think the blanket toss will be a great time to come to Barrow (Job wise I still have a while before I get there). Unless you suggest another event? When do you guys get the whales?

Old 06-11-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Well I think the blanket toss will be a great time to come to Barrow (Job wise I still have a while before I get there). Unless you suggest another event? When do you guys get the whales?
That is a really good time to visit! Here's the exact schedule:

June 24
Nate Olemaun, Lillian Nageak, Hopson I, Joe Leavitt
June 25 Mabel Panigeo, Ben Itta
June 26 Gilbert Leavitt, Sr., ABC
June 29 Jonathan Aiken, Sr., Jacob Adams, Oliver Leavitt, George Adams, Sr.
June 30 Harry Brower, Jr., Herman Ahsoak

Coming in on Friday morning (the 25th) and leaving Monday night (the 29th) would cover three different Nalukataq days!

Whaling takes place in April and May for the spring hunt, and then in late September and early October for the fall hunt. So you'll be on the job by the time anymore whales are caught. (Fall whaling this year won't be much, because they have a very good spring hunt and used up their entire quota. Any hunting this fall will be from the quotas of other villages passed to Barrow.)

Old 06-11-2010, 04:51 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Thanks for posting that info. Might be a good time to take a trip.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:16 AM

471 posts, read 1,062,475 times
I am trying to get a hold of my friend in Barrow, and seeing if I can steal his couch for a few days, if I can then I will definitely be up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska