U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:51 AM

11,836 posts, read 24,964,372 times

Advertisements

Rance you can already see the lights given off at night from space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 10:31 AM

3,774 posts, read 9,895,229 times
xray, there aren't a lot of apartment type places in Barrow. Most of the dwellings there are single family houses. The hospitals in the bush communities sometimes have dwellings that they utilize for health care providers. Check with the hospital.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:12 PM

3,539 posts, read 6,411,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
xray, there aren't a lot of apartment type places in Barrow. Most of the dwellings there are single family houses. The hospitals in the bush communities sometimes have dwellings that they utilize for health care providers. Check with the hospital.
Most of the low/medium rent housing in Barrow is in multiple unit complexes. There are literally dozens of 12-plex appartment buildings, 4-plexes, and 2-plexes in Barrow.

And like all of the regional hospitals in bush locations, the hospital in Barrow makes housing available to its employees. The hospital housing in Barrow is relatively new, is in probably the most advantagous possible place in terms of living style (on a bluff overlooking the the Lower Lagoon between Barrow and Browerville, on the Barrow side). It is adjacent to the hospital, which will change in the not too distant future as a new hospital is currently under construction on the Brower side, overlooking the Middle Lagoon.

Housing in Barrow is currently is plentiful supply. In the 1990's Barrow was growing, housing was tight, and it was impossible to find a place to live. In the late 1990's a HUD project build something like 200+ duplex and quadplex housing units which immediately brought relief. But since 2000 the population has shrunk by almost 25%, and today there are boarded up buildings that attest to the surplus of housing.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayrpg View Post
I have been reading a lot about Barrow and am thinking about relocating to work at their hospital. I can not find any information about how much apartments cost in rent there? Can anyone tell me about the hospital? Thank you.
Randy
Call the Arctic Slope Native Association (ASNA) and ask them. They run the hospital, and the hospital housing. 907-852-2762.

I have no idea what they charge employees for housing, but they do have very nice appartments, and I've never heard anyone complain about anything to do with the housing.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:43 PM

Sorry Floyd, I think of apartments as different from a duplex. City boy thinking there. I live in a duplex now, and I don't call it an apartment. Just a difference in terms I guess.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Sorry Floyd, I think of apartments as different from a duplex. City boy thinking there. I live in a duplex now, and I don't call it an apartment. Just a difference in terms I guess.
There are a few dozens of apartment complexes here with 12 or more apartments per building. One unit has 29 apartments, for example. There used to be another, but it was remodeled as an office building a few years ago.

As I said, the average low/medium cost housing in Barrow will be in an apartment complex, and there is a very simple reason for that too! Economically it is much easier to heat one large building than it is to heat the same amount of living space in many smaller buildings.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:06 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,300,817 times
Mal had an apartment complex, but the meds are making him better...

Old 10-13-2008, 09:30 AM

Went with my Napoleon Complex, but the water went down the loo.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:47 AM

989 posts, read 3,072,452 times
Floyd do you know if they are going to move the hospital staff housing over closer to the new hospital or will the staff have to "commute" over to the other side? The fact that they have been so close has certainly been nice for them Im sure.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Floyd do you know if they are going to move the hospital staff housing over closer to the new hospital or will the staff have to "commute" over to the other side? The fact that they have been so close has certainly been nice for them Im sure.
It won't be moving. I'm not sure how that will be handled, as there might be something like an on-call residence or whatever.

For those who don't know what this is about, the gravel pad for a new hospital in Barrow is in place, with actual construction about to begin. It is located on the Browerville side of town, probably a mile away from the old hospital, which is on the Barrow side (there is a fairly large lagoon between Barrow and Browerville, and most of the expansion for the past 10-15 years has been in Browerville.

The current hospital and housing are not only co-located, they are connected! That certainly does have some convenience too.

Of course, some folks thoroughly believe that the best thing which could ever happen to the people living in hospital housing might be to remove them by at least a mile, or maybe 5 miles would be even better, from the hospital. Many of them appear to be a little pale, and need to see the light of day... :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or