U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:12 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,895,229 times

Advertisements

Night of the living dead! Or is that "30 Days of Darkness". LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 AM

14 posts, read 106,589 times
I've done some research and it looks like there are no apartments available. There are three hotels and a lodging owned by the college for visiting scientists. If you've seen 30 days of night, that seems to correspond with the pics I've seen (minus the vampires).
The school looks great. I've been talking with admissions and fin aid and they're all very helpful.
It's a polar climate, which we all know. There are several restaurants (chinese etc...), and the roads aren't paved. I think they have a problem disposing of waste and the summer's are supposed to smell kind of bad. The people are supposed to be very friendly.
I've applied to go in the spring. I wish I could go now. I looked for any response about alternate lodging and found none. I would even pay to sleep on someone's floor until I get my dorm at school.
Anyone else having any luck?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 7,806 times
Are there any funeral homes in Barrow, Alaska? I looked online and in a special book I have at our funeral home but to no avail. I am a funeral director and I have always been interested in moving to Alaska. I currently live and practice in the "lower 48". I too would love to move to Barrow but as a funeral director if I would not be needed then maybe there would be no hope. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 11-30-2010, 12:09 PM

3,843 posts, read 3,667,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwright08 View Post
Are there any funeral homes in Barrow, Alaska? I looked online and in a special book I have at our funeral home but to no avail. I am a funeral director and I have always been interested in moving to Alaska. I currently live and practice in the "lower 48". I too would love to move to Barrow but as a funeral director if I would not be needed then maybe there would be no hope. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
I don't think there are. Barrow's population is mainly Inupiat and they keep funerals in the family. The relatives come to the hospital, clean and dress the body themselves, take it out and bury it. Floyd would have more insight to offer on Inupiat funerary practices but I don't think there's a need for a funeral home or director here.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I don't think there are. Barrow's population is mainly Inupiat and they keep funerals in the family. The relatives come to the hospital, clean and dress the body themselves, take it out and bury it. Floyd would have more insight to offer on Inupiat funerary practices but I don't think there's a need for a funeral home or director here.
Thank you Wynternight. I appreciate your reply.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwright08 View Post
Thank you Wynternight. I appreciate your reply.
You're very welcome. If you're set on coming to Alaska, which I can definitely understand, there's always Fairbanks, Anchorage, Juneau, etc., which have funeral homes.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,750 times
Default Cost of Living in Barrow, Alaska

Hello,

My name is goldrush63 (not really, it's my screen name) and I need some help from anybody who lives in Barrow. I'm looking to find out what the cost of living is up there. I looked on the internet but couldn't find as much info as I would have liked. I know it is expensive, due to the fact everything has to be shipped up there. I was wondering what a 1 bedroom apartment (if they have those) would cost per month. I'm single so I don't need a very big place. Also, what would utilities run per month?...I know it would vary but looking mostly for average cost. I know groceries will be more (Milk is around $9-$10 per gallon) I think I saw on the internet. More curious about frozen tv dinners, canned goods, soda things like that. Also, I know the weather is very brutal up there as well, just concerned about getting frostbite. Any helpful hints on that would be very appreciated as well. Thank you, and I look forward to any responses.

Sincerely,

goldrush63

Old 02-01-2011, 04:01 AM

4,320 posts, read 3,516,392 times
It has been my experience in many villages; that when a person dies, they are shipped to Anchorage, then sent back to the village properly to have a normal burial in casket etc. Embalming & Autopsies, and of course funeral arraingments are all taken care of in Anch or in some cases perhaps Fairbanks as well.

Death is all too common in the smaller villages, too much needless deaths, among young people.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 PM

4 posts, read 10,450 times
where do you get a apt in barrow?
wow .ive been looking 1 hr and nothing
email me at mereco72@gmail.com

Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mereco View Post
where do you get a apt in barrow?
wow .ive been looking 1 hr and nothing
email me at mereco72@gmail.com
There's not a whole lot of offerings in apartments there. The one that comes immediately to mind is Barrow Apartments and that's not the kind of place I'd suggest. That's the "ghetto" of Barrow - lots of drunks, fighting, meth, domestic violence.

I don't have much else to offer as I had hospital housing so there was never any reason for me to look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or