U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 10:11 AM

13 posts, read 3,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Money. Everything must be shipped in by barge in the summer. All the utilities are underground. Deep underground. Extremely expensive to hook up to. That forces the cost of housing out of the reach of many Barrow residents. Extremely short construction season. Housing has been in short supply forever up there. And it will probably always be that way.

I deduced as much about the short construction season. I thought maybe one way around that might be more modular homes and just whatever housing takes less time to put together. Seems like that wouldb be a way to get around both the short construction season and put the cost more within reach also. But no apparently?

Cost aside is it even POSSIBLE to get a new house built? You know, in stages over a couple years or something? Like built over a couple years while you rent something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 11:07 AM

3,016 posts, read 1,601,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 918x361x303 View Post
Cost aside is it even POSSIBLE to get a new house built? You know, in stages over a couple years or something? Like built over a couple years while you rent something else.
A function of how much private, undeveloped property for sale in this community. Probably not much.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:19 PM

7,007 posts, read 11,829,873 times
Quote:
I deduced as much about the short construction season. I thought maybe one way around that might be more modular homes and just whatever housing takes less time to put together. Seems like that wouldb be a way to get around both the short construction season and put the cost more within reach also. But no apparently?

They tried this stuff back in the early 80's when the oil money started to flow. It didn't work out too well.

Good read that'll help you get an idea on how things still go on up there.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1985/02...9105477378000/

Old 10-24-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
A function of how much private, undeveloped property for sale in this community. Probably not much.

Surprisingly vacant housing lots come up for sale on a regular basis. Anywhere from $10K to $30K.
Extremely expensive to develop. It's been a few years since I checked but on the average it cost $25k to hook up to the Barrow utility system. That's why there are still some houses using honey buckets.

https://www.polartrec.com/expedition...als/2014-07-30

Utilidor

Old 10-24-2018, 02:11 PM

13 posts, read 3,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Surprisingly vacant housing lots come up for sale on a regular basis. Anywhere from $10K to $30K.
Extremely expensive to develop. It's been a few years since I checked but on the average it cost $25k to hook up to the Barrow utility system. That's why there are still some houses using honey buckets.

https://www.polartrec.com/expedition...als/2014-07-30

Utilidor

I'll check both those out after work..

For us it doesn't make a ton of sense to go to Barrow unless we're going to stay a while. I'd say a nice round figure of 5 years.

If we could make it a permanent home or at least long enough for our kids to get through school even the financial incentive (with job stability for BOTH OF US and to the point that seems very rare there) that we could handle all the costs of building a place there within probably just 2-3 years and still have some room to breathe even after it's done. The combination for us of being both high paying and stable in Barrow is probably truly unique to there.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I'll check both those out after work..

For us it doesn't make a ton of sense to go to Barrow unless we're going to stay a while. I'd say a nice round figure of 5 years.

If we could make it a permanent home or at least long enough for our kids to get through school even the financial incentive (with job stability for BOTH OF US and to the point that seems very rare there) that we could handle all the costs of building a place there within probably just 2-3 years and still have some room to breathe even after it's done. The combination for us of being both high paying and stable in Barrow is probably truly unique to there.

If you're native, show up to your job on a regular basis, and semi-sober, then you can land a job with the North Slope Borough or UIC making well over $100K a year in the upper management jobs. Some of them do it and do really well. It was surprising to me that a number of them not only had a house in Barrow but also one in Anchorage. Not a large number but I met a few of the higher ranking NSB staffers that also had places in Hawaii.

Just saw that they raised the starting police officer pay to $38.29 an hour. Not to bad.

Employment | The North Slope Borough

Old 11-05-2018, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 176 times
I was there for a month and a half, the first persons response is pretty accurate .my sister is a nurse and brother-in-law is a cop in barrow, it is the worlds largest junkyard, the younger crowd not so bad but the elders are rude to non natives, I have experienced that first hand they won't trade with you if you're not native , they don't like to be called Eskimos they are the inupiaq people. And there is a housing shortage and it is hella expensive to build there and they have the most expensive grocery store in the U.S..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or