Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 14,676 times

Advertisements

ive been offered a job making 40k a year....will i survive in barrow making that ?its near the airport, will i be forced to travel far to get a room or apt?
much thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 03:39 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mereco View Post
ive been offered a job making 40k a year....will i survive in barrow making that ?its near the airport, will i be forced to travel far to get a room or apt?
much thanks in advance
Unless you live way the heck out by the college or way down Cakeatter Rd there's not a lot of driving or traveling to be done in Barrow. 40k's not going to go too far there with rent, utilities, and the price of groceries which can run you a good 2-3 times what you would pay in the lower 48. Who is the job offer with? If they offer housing and cover utilities you'll be a lot beter off at 40k a year.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:24 PM

wynternight i really thanks you for all the info....i cannot tell you the company name ...but its in the airport....i taught there would be some apts ,rooms,dorms etc near the airport.
no housing or utilities included !yikes....i really was looking foward to a new experience ...but its not looking good

Old 01-07-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mereco View Post
wynternight i really thanks you for all the info....i cannot tell you the company name ...but its in the airport....i taught there would be some apts ,rooms,dorms etc near the airport.
no housing or utilities included !yikes....i really was looking foward to a new experience ...but its not looking good
Talk to the company first and see what kind of housing they're talking about and see if they have someone there who can give you an idea on rent and utilities. I was fortunate to have hospital provided housing and free utilities so I can't help you much there but I can tell you that shopping of any kind is expensive in Barrow. I did a lot of research before going so the sticker shock wasn't too bad for me but there were times I said a few choice expletives after getting a handful of items and paying twice what I would expect to pay outside of Barrow.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:40 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Quote:
.i cannot tell you the company name ...but its in the airport

There are lots of apartment complex's near the airport; Anyone who looks at a map of Barrow can easily see that you can walk anyplace in town in a matter of a few minutes.

Browerville however is a completely different story all together.

I know Barrow quite well and inside the airport; ?? there are no 'COMPANIES".

Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
There are lots of apartment complex's near the airport; Anyone who looks at a map of Barrow can easily see that you can walk anyplace in town in a matter of a few minutes.

Aren't the baggage handlers there from a private company? I'm wondering if that's it.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post

I did look before asking .....This is the Alaska forum....thats why i asked

Last edited by Rance; 01-09-2012 at 08:41 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 02:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,723 times
I've spent my entire life in California, and am DESPERATE to get out of here! This place is a nightmare, don't believe what you see on TV. Have been interested in Barrow since the movie 30 Day of Night came out-hehehehe! Is it actually TRUE that you guys go 30 days without an actual sunrise? I am dying of curiousity...

Old 08-25-2014, 07:45 AM

206 posts, read 513,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyalong View Post
I've spent my entire life in California, and am DESPERATE to get out of here! This place is a nightmare, don't believe what you see on TV. Have been interested in Barrow since the movie 30 Day of Night came out-hehehehe! Is it actually TRUE that you guys go 30 days without an actual sunrise? I am dying of curiousity...
Well granted this entire thread is very old, i will tell you that 30 days of night is the absolute worst representation of Barrow i have ever seen. Not only was it not filmed in Barrow (see New Zealand) but the 30 days of night can be longer. Also all the native and locals would not just sit idly by while a pack or moronic Vampires slaughtered everyone there would be quite a few dead vampires with Oosiks sticking out of there heads.

I totally agree about not enjoying living in California, i did that for a year and it was one of the worst experiences of my life.

If you got a Nursing/Doctor/Educator background, you might be able to find a job here in Barrow, but i would not just show up without 30k in your pocket or a job offer with housing.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:32 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstiemarie View Post
I currently live in SE Alaska, but have given a lot of thought to living and working in a more remote area of the state for a few years once I've completed my nursing degree.

Can anyone give me some firsthand knowledge of living in Barrow? Particularly anyone with young kids?
My wife spent a winter as a nurse in Barrow. I only got to spend a week there.

It's amazingly expensive. The winter (and snow and ice) lasts well after the sun no longer sets. There's not a lot to do, if you wish to be entertained by others.

However, they often need nursing staff. Be aware it's a small facility, and you'll be a jack of all trades nurse, you will not work at a single specialty.

Oh, and it's really dark for a long time in the winter.

And it will be what you make of it, to work there. That's true everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska