U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:09 AM

14 posts, read 118,372 times

Advertisements

I currently live in SE Alaska, but have given a lot of thought to living and working in a more remote area of the state for a few years once I've completed my nursing degree.

Can anyone give me some firsthand knowledge of living in Barrow? Particularly anyone with young kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 04:20 AM

14 posts, read 118,372 times
Red face Another Barrow question

A follow up question for anyone living in Barrow now....where do you order your clothing from? What are the layers that someone would want to wear in the winter time (or anytime)?

Old 07-27-2007, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 43,210 times
Stay in SE Alaska. I have lived and worked in Barrow. There are some really good people that live there but the majority are rude and hateful and do not like people who are non-native "we are taking their jobs". Also known as the junkyard of the arctic. If you go to work at the hospital the insurance that you will receive is not in the network so if you get sick you will pay a huge copay. Be aware the social problems in that area, alcohol, and sexual abuse, domestic violence that is just the tip of the iceberg. The cost of living is beyond imagination because of the mail and shipping charges, not to mention air fare to get out of there.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:41 AM

14 posts, read 106,589 times
Default Moving to Barrow

Hello,

I'm a volunteer FD. I'm on disability so I have my own money. I've been reading a lot about Barrow, and would like to know how can move up there. I have bad credit and would just want to rent a room. Any help?

Old 10-06-2008, 12:01 PM

3,539 posts, read 6,411,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper_john View Post
Hello,

I'm a volunteer FD. I'm on disability so I have my own money. I've been reading a lot about Barrow, and would like to know how can move up there. I have bad credit and would just want to rent a room. Any help?
Well, that poor sour puss who wrote the last article in this thead didn't get much right, but the high cost of living is true. That makes it a little difficult for people on a pension, unless you just happen to really really like this particular part of the world (that's my situation), or you have a good job. Otherwise, you'll be scratching with the chickens...

Finding housing isn't hard once you are here. It's what to do with yourself for the first couple of weeks. On the other hand I have seen several people who got of an airplane and discovered for whatever reason that they had no place to stay. Not one of them ended up out in the cold. Somebody took them in every time.

People here may not be particularly "nice" is a lot of ways... but they help anyone who really needs it. It is a very diverse community with large numbers of Filipinos, Tongans, Koreans, Thais, Mexicans, and a smattering of several others, like Hawaiians, Bulgarians, and so on. (One effect of that plus the majority being Inupiat Eskimo, is that the typcial "white preference" found in other parts of Alaska and the US just doesn't exist here. Those who would like to have that, don't like Barrow.)

All that said... if you retire to Barrow you will not be unique. There is exactly one other person here that has done the same thing. I'll be happy to show you how much fun it is! :-)

Old 10-06-2008, 02:09 PM

11,836 posts, read 24,964,372 times
Floyd don't forget about the fossilized ivory crafts.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:14 AM

Default Moving to Barrow by hook or by crook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Well, that poor sour puss who wrote the last article in this thead didn't get much right, but the high cost of living is true. That makes it a little difficult for people on a pension, unless you just happen to really really like this particular part of the world (that's my situation), or you have a good job. Otherwise, you'll be scratching with the chickens...

Finding housing isn't hard once you are here. It's what to do with yourself for the first couple of weeks. On the other hand I have seen several people who got of an airplane and discovered for whatever reason that they had no place to stay. Not one of them ended up out in the cold. Somebody took them in every time.

People here may not be particularly "nice" is a lot of ways... but they help anyone who really needs it. It is a very diverse community with large numbers of Filipinos, Tongans, Koreans, Thais, Mexicans, and a smattering of several others, like Hawaiians, Bulgarians, and so on. (One effect of that plus the majority being Inupiat Eskimo, is that the typcial "white preference" found in other parts of Alaska and the US just doesn't exist here. Those who would like to have that, don't like Barrow.)

All that said... if you retire to Barrow you will not be unique. There is exactly one other person here that has done the same thing. I'll be happy to show you how much fun it is! :-)
barrow is sort of my dream locale. I've done nothing but read about it. Do you think there's a way I can make arrangements with someone like renting a room beforehand? Also, would it make sense, being white, to apply to attend the school up there? The college. I'd trade new england for barrow in a nanosecond.

I'd be thrilled to hear your suggestions. All I need is a way to get online and a pharmacy, and place to stay.

What do you think?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 AM

Hello,

I was thinking about transferring to school up there. I looked at the web site for Ilisagvik, but all the info is standard issue. The emails don't work, and I'm not having any luck calling. Does anybody know about this school. Are caucasians allowed without making a big civil rights case out of it?

Thanks,

Trapper_John

Old 10-12-2008, 04:10 AM

1 posts, read 23,980 times
Default Moving to Barrow?

I have been reading a lot about Barrow and am thinking about relocating to work at their hospital. I can not find any information about how much apartments cost in rent there? Can anyone tell me about the hospital? Thank you.
Randy

Old 10-12-2008, 05:40 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,548,601 times
Dang...at the rate folks are moving to Barrow it very well could be the most populated city in Alaska in the near future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or