Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 02:20 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,599 times

Advertisements

What is the economy like near Albany?Also about the winters.Ive heard that Albany doesnt get AS MUCH now snow as the other areas up there.Ive been told that its not so bad because they get the roads and such cleared very quickly.But what if you arent right in town,lets say in a more rural area,not the boonies or anything but more open.Im trying to decide where to move to but i dont want to be buried in 30 feet a snow all winter long.Any info from residents up there would be great.Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 06:56 PM

136 posts, read 778,445 times
Since no one has answered yet, let me just say that I spent 5 winters in the Albany area back in the late '60s and early 70's. The area gets more snow than areas farther south in the Hudson Valley, but nowhere near as much as in the snowbelt regions near lake Ontario. One winter while I was there, we had about 110 inches of snow, and that was the record up to that time, so you shouldn't ever see anything like 30 feet of accumulated snow on the ground. IIRC, that one winter the ground was covered from about Dec 5 thru March 15, but I don't think there was ever more than 3-4 feet on the ground at any one time. Where I was (in town), the roads were cleared quickly.

In terms of Temperature, the coldest I saw during those years was -28F (also a record at the time), but the lowest daytime high was only something like -3F. In comparison, while I was in South Dakota, I saw several days with daytime highs of -10F to -15F, with lots of wind, so it felt a whole lot colder.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 PM

203 posts, read 852,763 times
I wouldn't say the economy is booming in Albany but it's not so bad either. All the State offices are there...many State employees. What type of work are you in? The northeast is pretty good at clearing snowy roads, much better than someplace like Virginia where they get an inch of snow and everything shuts down. I love snowy winters so the weather is a plus for me.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,599 times
Im currently working at an animal hospital as a veterinary assistant.Going to north carolina in a week to check it out.I,too, am a fan of snow.And ive been told that NC only gets a few inches a year if that. I dont think i can handle the heat and humidity though.Well see.Are there companies you can pay to have them remove the snow from your property?

Old 06-28-2007, 05:22 PM

136 posts, read 778,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Im currently working at an animal hospital as a veterinary assistant.Going to north carolina in a week to check it out.I,too, am a fan of snow.And ive been told that NC only gets a few inches a year if that. I dont think i can handle the heat and humidity though.Well see.Are there companies you can pay to have them remove the snow from your property?

There are definitely companies or individuals that will remove snow from your driveway. You can even get a choice of snowblowers or snowplows. The condo I live in (admittedly well south of the Albany area) has contracted for snow blowers, since over-eager plowing can damage garage doors, etc.

If you like snow, and want to work in Albany, try to live as far north and west of Albany as possible, or in one of the "hill towns" nearby (usually to the southwest of Albany, but also to the east in Rensselaer County).

Old 06-29-2007, 08:45 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Albany's economy is fairly stable, but I don't think highly diversified . . . highly dependent on government (state capital), education (bunch of colleges), and medical (2 large hospitals, Albany Med and St Peters). There is, of course, a "supporting economy" which I'm sure includes jobs for vet assistants.

If you like snow, but not too much, Albany is probably perfect for you. You will get a couple of feet (2-3) over the course of a season. Rarely you will get one huge dump of 1 or 2 feet at a time. Even if there is not a lot of snow in Albany proper, skiing (x-country and downhill) is pretty much just a car ride away in the Adirondaks, Berkshires, Catskills, or even just the local hills for x-country.

Despite what one of the other posters said about the northeast being good about snow removal, Albany can be kind of iffy and slow at times. Also, I remember from when I lived there that they have this incredibly complicated "emergency snow removal" parking plan that requires you to keep moving your care from one side of the street to another to allow plowing. I knew lots of people who got their cars towed because of this. So, if you do move up there, make sure you find a place with off-street parking!!!!!! so you don't have to deal with that hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area