Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 AM

83 posts, read 185,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamj67 View Post
We were on Long Island last week and I literally gained 5 pounds because we were eating breakfast from the deli's every morning or from the bagel stores. I have a freind here in NC that is from NY also but lived in Orlando for years and moved up here to Raleigh because of his wife. This guy misses Orlando so much, he can't wait to get back there.To him Disney and Universal and all those other attractions keep him and his family busy so he loves it there, here in NC there isn't much of those types of things to do so he hates it here. He honestly loves the heat and humidity and dosen't miss NY one bit. He is hoping to be back in Orlando with in the next year. So really it is all a matter of preference in what is a great place to live, I am just glad my wife is in agreement with me about moving back to NY, she is also excited to be closer to family again. My wife started and is running a sucessful small business here and she is willing to shut it down or sale it if possible and start all over again up there so I should count my blessings with that also. I was also showing my wife all of the trips and gatherings the Glens Falls senior center has, her mom is a senior and will more than likly be moving back up with us. My MIL is single, 68, retire and trying to stay busy but we are in a rural part of the Raleigh area and everything she does with her groups is like a 30 or 40 or 50 mile drive for her each way, so it is getting difficult for her to stay busy. I think she would benefit greatly being around other retired NYers as she is, she is a retired NY school teacher. I am getting pretty excited about the idea of getting out of here and living somewhere so beautiful as upstate NY near the Adirondacks.
We were originally thinking to go upstate but I thought I was done with the cold, I didn't care how hot the place was it had to be better than being cold but now I CAN"T STAND the heat and humidity. I've been working outside in it for 4 yrs now and I am done with it!
Also Brandy I did look at some of the houses for sale in Cambridge and there are some beautiful Victorians and Colonials for sale at reasonable prices but we really need to be in more of a city setting and I think Glens Falls is in the perfect location (skiing) and is the perfect size for us.
Thanks for the advice and support, it is nice to know that I am not the only one in the world struggling with these decisions.
I don't blame you! I love Cambridge but it is a bit *out there*, just thought I'd throw that out. My daughter goes to voice lessons there and it crossed my mind.

We're moving to Michigan and I'm also making sure that we end up in a walkable/bike-able place. Nothing worse than moving to a new place and being bored!

Relocating is hard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 10:59 AM

275 posts, read 789,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
We moved to Saratoga 6 Years ago, had a house build and all, however we are starting to look at other places around here due to tax increases, Glens Falls is the town to go, brand new Library (a Gem) nice walking City, sidewalks, bike to Lake George etc. Schools are great.You can get a nice house in a tree lined street, close to everything for 200 K or a bit more. less if you are a bit handy. I would recomend it, got its own brewery /pub, the City center has pro hockey, concerts etc ( its a bit dated) the Charles R Wood theater is tops, with all kind of productions. Has Saratoga beat in my opinion, Toga is for people with money, they trying hard to emulate a Hamtons like atmosphere, (too bad).
How are the property taxes for a house in GF? When I did some research, it was a lot higher than nearby areas (Queensbury). Maybe I was comparing apples to oranges.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 AM

79 posts, read 262,875 times
Roland you certainly make a good argument for Glens Falls. Everything you praised about Glens Falls is what we are looking for, I am so tired of living in this subdivision. I welcome a regular neighborhood again where you can walk or ride a bike to do errands or just for exercise. We would also take advantage of the YMCA, we used to have one a quarter of a mile from our old house on Long Island and we were members and it was great.

Orlando I was thinking you are doing a reverse of most people. Most people retire from NY and go to FL, you are retiring from FL andgoing to NY. I hope you find your right place.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 AM

263 posts, read 623,937 times
Glens fall had done a lot over the last 5 Years, we where looking at nice older homes, in good repair, sidewalk, tree lined streets a long walk to downtown, or short biscycle ride, for a 200K single family home in town, the average taxes where between 3700 and 4500, for both School and town.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamj67 View Post

Orlando I was thinking you are doing a reverse of most people. Most people retire from NY and go to FL, you are retiring from FL andgoing to NY. I hope you find your right place.
Yes, that is true. However, most people who move to FL don't intend to spend possibly 60 years of their lives there. I have worked here 30 years and it is time for a change. I just can't see spending possibly another 30 years here. We both think we have found an area we can be happy in. Time will tell.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
Glens fall had done a lot over the last 5 Years, we where looking at nice older homes, in good repair, sidewalk, tree lined streets a long walk to downtown, or short biscycle ride, for a 200K single family home in town, the average taxes where between 3700 and 4500, for both School and town.
So they appraise houses at something appreciably less than market value?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 PM

92,184 posts, read 122,439,279 times
Another community some look at in that area is Ballston Spa, which has a cute business district and is close to Saratoga Springs. Schuylerville is another smaller community in that area and has good schools. South Glens Falls is actually in Saratoga County, but is across the river from Glens Falls.

Here's some information: Ballston Spa, New York just minutes from Saratoga Springs, NY
Ballston Spa Business & Professional Association - Working Together to Promote Ballston Spa, New York

Experience Historic Schuylerville New York And The Battle Of Saratoga At The Schuylerville Area Chamber of Commerce
Village of Schuylerville

South Glens Falls New York's Official Site | The Village at Cooper's Cave

Old 08-09-2010, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the links I was doing some reading on those websites, very interesting.

Orlando I don't blame you one bit for leaving FL. Here in Raleigh it has been in the mid 90's or hotter since mid may. I bet there hasn't been more than 7 days with temp under 90 in that time period. I can't stand this anymore. Even if you go to the beach it is so hot there that it isn't much fun. I really don't like the pool, we have a spot we go to by Falls lake once in awhile and that's fun. I do admit that the winters are easier to get through but I feel I have traded to much to just have an easy winter. I also miss skiing and snowboarding alot, so at least I will have activities to do in the winter upstate.

It is also apparent that my MIL is needing alot more medical care at 68 than we ever imagined and being at least 30 miles away from all of her DR's and her being able to drive less and less it is not feasable for us to stay in this location. This rural location is not working out for us, there are almost no senior services in this area. That is one of the prices of low taxes.

Anyway I am just kind of thinking out loud and seeing the ways upstate might make sense for us......Thanks.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 AM

263 posts, read 623,937 times
O Yankee, not really, market value in Subdivisions right now is about $ 140 per square foot, the market held up pretty well in Saratoga CT, Warren Ct did have some decline. G. Falls has really nice homes starting at 185K in Town ( you would have to work a bit on them) Its all in what you like 300K will get you a pristine town home right now.
Subdivisions in Queensburry/ Saratoga start at $ 225 to 600 K its all about the money. taxes for a 350K ,2700 square foot home, range from 6 to 8 K, about 4 to 6 in town.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:40 AM

We moved from LI in 2006, with the Star discount we were paying $6,800 a year (w/o start $7,800) on a 1,000 sq ft home on a fifth of an acre. We lived in Bay Shore which has a good side and a bad side, the schools were good but we were nervous about our son going into the middle and high school. The services we got for those taxes were mostly great, our son did receive help from a speech therapist through the school district.

NC we have a new 2,000 sq ft home on a quarter acre and our property taxes are $2,300 (but we live in city limits) we have a paid fire dept and police dept. Home insurance is cheaper "in town" like we are and we are on city water and sewers. The schools are good here but the schools in this town are the exception in this county. Most people born and raised in NC would absolutely flip their mind if they had to pay $2,300 a year in taxes, they would take up arms and over throw out the local government. This area is mostly filled with transplants. There is also taxes on food items and we pay personal property taxes such as cars, motorcycles, boats ect... A car worth $20,000 might have a tax of around $350 or so. Extra services for the school kids are almost non-existent.

People in NC really feel as though we shouldn't be paying this much money for schools, especially the ones who don't have kids in the schools. Alot of the people here don't seem to believe in the you need a "village to raise a child" thing. I truly have felt since we moved here that the schools, academic wise, are not up to par with what we had. I just hope our kids will get back up to speed when we move back up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area