Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 AM

79 posts, read 263,823 times

Advertisements

I wanted to say thanks to everybody for their help, we have gotten alot of good advice on here.

I have another question to ask, what is your opinion on my wife and I moving to Vermont, either Brattleboro or Burlington? I just wanted to get your opinions on it as fellow New Yorkers, do you think we would like it there? I was thinking it might be a nice place for my family. How are the property taxes in VT compared to NY?

If you could offer any opinions on this it would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamj67 View Post
I wanted to say thanks to everybody for their help, we have gotten alot of good advice on here.

I have another question to ask, what is your opinion on my wife and I moving to Vermont, either Brattleboro or Burlington? I just wanted to get your opinions on it as fellow New Yorkers, do you think we would like it there? I was thinking it might be a nice place for my family. How are the property taxes in VT compared to NY?

If you could offer any opinions on this it would be appreciated, thanks.
I think you might like it VT, but there are other people on here that might be able to answer that better than I can.

I will say that if you are considering Burlington, Plattsburgh across Lake Champlain might be another option. It is more affordable and whlie it is a smaller city, it has enough to do. There's a city beach there that is free for city residents and it is only about an hour south of Montreal, give or take.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:10 AM

267 posts, read 971,245 times
I LOVE Vermont, one of my favorite states. I fell in love w/Brattleboro and could see myself living there. But I don't think the job opportunities are as good as here. I also worry about the weather. I don't know about in comparison but I think taxes are high in VT as well.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:29 AM

3 posts, read 6,667 times
Glens Falls is a beautiful area, it's nice and suburban, but the schools are a little a mess right now budget wise (what place isn't?). Are you looking for a smaller community, large community, what about property taxes? There is such a diverse mentality in each town upstate, let me know and I can give you a better idea

Marcy

Old 09-11-2010, 04:31 AM

3 posts, read 6,667 times
Property taxes in VT tend to be a little higher than NY (but it depends where you are in NY.... lol) due to VT having lower sales/income tax.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:08 AM

Hi Marcy thanks for your replies. We aren't exactly sure where are going to end up. I like Glens Falls because it is a self contained little city with mountains around it. It has reasonable real estate prices, a nice looking downtown, a YMCA, a symphony,,,ect. I like Burlington because it's on Lake Champlain, near the best skiing in the N.E. has a artsy liberal thing going on ect... One minute we think (my wife and I) we want to be in a city, the next we are thinking it would be really cool to live on 5-10 acres, but we feel we would be isolating our kids by doing that.

We are also toying with the idea of moving back to Long Island, my wife is more for that plan than I am, all of the problems on the Island that helped convince us to move away are still there and even worse, traffic, taxes, rat race mentality....but our families live there.

That is our dilemma, plus my Mother in law moved south with us and has her own house, she loves it down here and doesn't want to even think of going back to NY. The problem with that is, she is an older, retired woman who won't be able to live by herself much longer, we have no family in NC, so her refusal to consider a mother/daughter set-up (even down here in NC) has added a whole other layer of stress on top of the multiples layers already......whew.....Anyway....thanks

Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 PM

77 posts, read 154,120 times
What an interesting post! I live in DC, but am originally from Georgia, and right now my husband is mulling offer a job offer in Charlotte, NC. Problem is I don't want to go back to the heat of the South! DC gets plenty hot in the summer but we're rewarded in the winter with snow! I am a born and bred Southerner, but for some reason the North just seems to fit me better. I really like the upstate NY/VT areas. I've been to Vermont several times and just LOVE it. My mother-in-law is from Kinderhook, NY (but now lives in GA) and I just love that area as well. Have driven through the Saratoga area and it is so pretty. If we can't stay in DC, NY/VT is my preference. Problem is, my husband wants to return to family and to the South and doesn't think he can survive a NY winter. He's also a corporate attorney, so moving to a nice little town like Saratoga is probably not realistic. So where does that leave us?? A girl can dream of Vermont and New York, can't she? Good luck with getting back to NY!

Old 09-17-2010, 06:46 PM

Hi novadc, thanks for your reply, I was just pondering the snow and winter time ect... after I read your post. I think, actually I KNOW the best time we had this year as a family is the 3 times it snow here in Raleigh this year. What an awesome time we had sledding and drinking hot cocoa afterwards.

Anyway at this point I would choose Charlotte over Raleigh at least because it is right at the foot of the mountains. I'm pretty sure you could live in the mountains and commute to Charlotte so maybe you could make that work for you.

We used to go camping upstate every winter near Mt. Gore and that was a blast but living up there full time would be quite different and you really have to embrace the winters. I've never been to Vt but it sounds like a really cool place, I have been through NH and in Portland Maine for a week, it was really nice there but I was there in the Fall so it wasn't too cold yet.

Well anyway, good luck on whatever you guys decide to do.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:23 PM

77 posts, read 154,120 times
Hi William,
Thanks for your reply. If you've never been to Vermont, you must go! We've vacationed there the last 3 autumns. It is my idea of heaven- rural and beautiful but with artisanal food everywhere, liberal, and fine dining in the middle of nowhere! That's what blows my mind about VT- you can be in the middle of nowhere, some little town with no chain stores, and there is a 4 or 5 star restaurant there. Heaven for me! Going to the Great Blaze in Croton-on-Hudson (NY) this autumn, so a bit of a departure from Vermont, but still should be fun. Thanks for your advice on Charlotte. I hope you make it back to NY soon!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 PM

475 posts, read 852,664 times
Hey fried chicken and taters happens to be very good thank you..LOL. I've thought about moving back myself, I was born and raised in New York, Mahopac, but now reside in Virginia. I actually like Virginia but I do have some family and friends that still reside in the Putnam/Westchester area. I'm coming back for a visit in October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area