Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,053 times

Advertisements

Here let my explain right to the t. I lived in Troy for 23 years.) He only thing that's so wrong withtroy is all the burglaries theft and crimes. Quite a bit of robberies and drug related murders besides all the negative acts Troy has a very beautiful side. Take no ones opinions as a threat to move in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 06:24 PM

59 posts, read 145,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegrglovr View Post
this is fascinating.I grew up in Waterford in the 70's,early 80's and Troy was always known as "the armpit of the great northeast"I live in Mesa,Az. now which is huge compared to Troy but not scary at all,although we're really starting to have sort of a "barrio" area to stay out of.I have visited Troy several times over the past few years and it's really run down and scary looking.I like the area around Emma Willard and Pawling Ave,my grandmother went there before the depression and my father's father ran a speakeasy in Troy during prohibition so I would love to do some genealogical research there,cemeteries ,churches,and whatnot but I'm actually pretty afraid to drive around.We have friends who live in Lansingburgh and they have a crack house right next door!

I Drive around try every once and a while really it is pretty safe compared to Albany/Schenectady you can drive around the whole city it just looks scary cause it is so rundown but you will be fine, Now That doesn't Exactly mean get out of your car in certain places, especially places aren't familiar i have kept track of the news this year and there have been only about 4-7 violent crimes. Good Luck

Old 05-17-2013, 06:33 PM

59 posts, read 145,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tconzz22 View Post
OK look...im eighteen years old ive lived in troy my entire life...ive gone to troy high school up untill this year i transferred to albany academy...south troy does have a very nice downtown but the only thing is drugs are everywhere in south troy...it may look like the place where theres a stabbing every day but the south troy leaves stuff like that up to the north part of troy...now, my friend was a big time leader of a respected gang around here and he was stabbed and killed in may...ever since then....theres been 11 stabbings...in two months....if u want to live in troy, there is some nice areas...pawling ave...spring ave..those are really as good as ur going to get...if u have some money check out north 40...thats really as much as i can tell you...im not going to lie, troy is not a great place...it has plenty to do and everything is close, but just stay out of the bad spots and ulll be fine....

PS..if u have kids in middle school, stay away from Doyle Middle school...the place is out of control....ranked 2nd worst school in NYS in 2004.....Catholic High school is a great school, troy high isnt even that bad, theyve cleaned that place up well in the last years....if u have any questions about troy just ask....ill tell

My Dad went to doyle when he was young he got beat up almost every day

Old 05-25-2013, 06:18 PM

82 posts, read 167,298 times
My wife is from Lansingburg (North Troy) and I am from Waterford. We've always called Troy the Troylet for a reson. It just got worse and worse as years go by. The crime/drugs/punks spread from some of downtown and just north of Hoosic St all the way up to the old Troylet itself...Corliss Park.

Heck...they're even all over Cohoes Island and Cohoes now too.

Yeah...40 years ago...when the Hells Angels were around...at least they kept them in check.

Bottom line...there is no part of Troy that I would want my 20 year old daughter walking through at sundown. And during the day...not many places. At least Albany and Schenectady kept their trash contained. Troy let it spread. They even had ads in Penn Station in NYC for people to move to Troy.

You want to know the best part of Troy? Outside of it!

Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 PM

11 posts, read 25,064 times
The hatred of Troy is really ridiculous. There's a lot of positive energy there these days.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
agreed. i'll add the perspective of an outsider who's spent a fair amount of time in troy. we were looking at troy as a place to move for a while - that's probably not going to happen now, but i can see that there are all kinds of interesting things happening there. through one friend of a friend, we met a whole network of amazing people who are doing interesting work in the community. the things i was impressed by:

- the beautiful victorian downtown - yeah there are empty storefronts, but also a lot of vital businesses and people walking around.
- the sanctuary for independent media
- the farmer's market
- the gorgeous architecture and topography in general
- all the community gardens
- the bike rescue

yes, there are sketchy parts of town, but i've lived in and visited a lot of rough neighborhoods in my life and i never got a truly creepy "i shouldn't be here" feeling anywhere i've been in troy, at any time of the day or night.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
agreed. i'll add the perspective of an outsider who's spent a fair amount of time in troy. we were looking at troy as a place to move for a while - that's probably not going to happen now, but i can see that there are all kinds of interesting things happening there. through one friend of a friend, we met a whole network of amazing people who are doing interesting work in the community. the things i was impressed by:

- the beautiful victorian downtown - yeah there are empty storefronts, but also a lot of vital businesses and people walking around.
- the sanctuary for independent media
- the farmer's market
- the gorgeous architecture and topography in general
- all the community gardens
- the bike rescue

yes, there are sketchy parts of town, but i've lived in and visited a lot of rough neighborhoods in my life and i never got a truly creepy "i shouldn't be here" feeling anywhere i've been in troy, at any time of the day or night.
Everybody has their right to an opinion. And the best opinions are drawn from actual experience. What you've seen...I have too. You forgot to mention Snow Man.

I've seen a lot more also. Night is the worst. Walking in Troy at night especially can be pretty dangerous for the not so street-smart. You may be approached for drugs, robbed, harassed, or even worse. Ask yourselves people...would I let want my wife or kids to be walking around here in the daytime for a leisurely stroll? Maybe take that shortcut side street to cut over from 2nd to 5th?

Do I hate Troy? No. I love driving through once in a while at night and seeing the circus. I like the parades. I like when the parks have events. I love Snow Man (they have hard banana flavored ice cream). I love the outskirts of Troy. Really nice places to live in Rennselear county. Melrose, Spiegletown, Pittstown, Grafton, West Sand Lake, Averill Park, Postenkill, and so on.

All of this from somebody that has 1000's of miles in Troy at all times of the day and night over the last 35 years. One last thing. When the Mayor chased a lot of the crime out of the Downtown to Hoosic Street area...he moved a lot of it to North Troy/Lansingburg. Ruined Lansingburgh.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:03 PM

11 posts, read 25,064 times
I agree that North Central/Lansingburgh has become the mecca for crime. My understanding is that in the 1980s South Troy was the epicenter, but nowadays, it just doesn't seem as bad.

I frequently walk from the Washington Park area to the heart of Downtown (the Music Hall/Monument Square/Broadway area). I've never once felt unsafe at any time of day/night. That may have not been the case a decade ago, I really don't know...but it seems to have gentrified to the point where street crime has moved elsewhere.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 PM

In the 80's...it was from south Troy and downtown til about 102nd on the other side of Hoosic and then up at Corliss Park.

Now...it's from mostly Hoosic up to Corliss Park now. Check out 2nd ave...5th ave....drugs, hookers, punks, pitbulls...they got it all.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 5,650 times
I grew up in Troy , east side "albia" parking ave. I dropped out of high school & moved to California & now I'm successfull & happy , every city has a hood , Troy makes tons a great people . I suggest living there , the best pizza , great people - winter sucks but the summer is better there than California . Luke McQuillan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area