Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:39 PM

169 posts, read 417,877 times

Advertisements

jobs--thats whats missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 PM

184 posts, read 655,956 times
I grew up in Colonie--pretty much in the middle of the 3 cities, back in the 50's and 60's. Even then, Troy was the "dump" (my dad's expression, I think) of the three. Schenectady seemed nicer...Albany just seemed like a huge downtown to me. Sounds like things haven't changed much.

Interesting fact about Troy: it has the distinction of being the inspiration for Kurt Vonnegut's city, "Ilium" in his books. (Greek word for city of Troy=Ilium!). Cool, but maybe not enough to offset the bad stuff. I'd head north, toward Saratoga, or east, to the farm country.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:19 PM

42 posts, read 121,444 times
Toy is the armpit of NYS

Old 07-13-2008, 06:56 AM

18 posts, read 92,444 times
Hello, I lived in North Greenbush when the Williams Road was a dirt road and Mr.Williams stll owned most of the land, there was no HVCC and no LaSalle school and I agree it was a great place to grow up and is still a great place to live, though I think it is being Commercially over developed, but 'please' don't say there is virtually no crime. Hate to say it but yes there is, a lot of burglaries, though it is kept quiet and for a good reason. ALL areas have crime, the one virtue of the cities is that the houses are close together and there are people on the street to see what is going on and report it. Though we can't get away from the street 'drug dealing' and I hate it, the Subburbs have the sales out of their houses and also the wealthier home owners come to Troy to buy their drugs, we track the license plate #'s so we know who they are. Vermonters are the WORSE 95% if the Vermont plates that come into N. Central are fishing around for a drug dealer. Right now the ideal homebuyer is a working couple no kids. The Schools are not the best. NOT because of the teachers but so many immigrant kids in the schools that can't speak the language and disrupt the class out of boredom. The poor teachers spend half the day trying to control the class instead of teaching. Families that want the kids educated send them to a Private school. The Cities are what the Cities are. Convenient to highways, you don't have to 'drive' to everything and you have great city services such as garbage pick up and great Fire Depts and Police Dept. If you want those things,live in a City, if you want more of an isolation and enjoy driving or worry about an ambulance getting to your house at 2 AM before you die or getting the volunteers to your burning house in the middle of the night, and 'many' times late fires go unreported as there is no one near or "UP" to report it and it becomes a loss, then that is where you need to be. You have quiet in the suburbs and noise in the city, you have to weigh your options.There is somewhere for everyone.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:57 AM

Not many jobs in the Suburbs either, Jobs are usually outside of everyone's area's.......

Old 07-13-2008, 06:59 AM

What we beat out Schenectady? Where do you live?

Old 07-13-2008, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 5,624 times
who ever said newburgh is a buncha nyc wannabees is wrong every city has a ghetto and newburgh is one of them they mad because they wouldnt last 3 minutes in the city of newburgh you have to live there for several years to know the place we have the waterfront and numerous italian,chinese,and soul food restaraunts like they say newburgh is an upstate brooklyn but smaller then the original brooklyn newburgh is big enought to be an section in brooklyn poughkeepsie is the wannabees

Old 07-13-2008, 08:29 AM

Yes, Schenectady had GE back then, no longer. the Mayor has brought in the Guyanese to fill the empty houses and pay some taxes. Most I have met are hard working people though as you have read in the paper, 'Cultural unaccepted'. which is a bunch of nonsense. We all have different Cultures, if you can't accept that then go back under your rock..to all those blind people out there. Many 'good' family's in nice areas have some VERY INTERESTING skeletons in their closets! Troy has a great History and was once the 7th Wealthiest City in the Country. Always somewhat of a melting pot from people coming to the Country through Ellis Island and settleing upstate as NVC was way too expensive to survive. Troy's problem and every other old City's problem is the Absentee Landlords buying up the very large old houses and breaking them down into multi apts. Then they rent to ANYBODY so if you are a Absentee Landlord, you are on our 'hit list' for removal and if you know of anyone who is and brags they have 'investment' property. Remove them from your Social list as they are gaining their wealth by breaking the backs and moral and social structure of our cities. If they will do it in OUR neighborhoods they will eventually do it in YOURS so beware...

Old 07-13-2008, 08:39 AM

Oh I have to disagree with there being no Artists in Troy, we have a HUGE Artist community with all types of Artists. Ask around, Troy is a verywell connected city and anyone can send you where Artists have bought homes here in Troy and made them into beautiful spots. Our Art Center here in Troy is one of the Best if NOT the best.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYREIA View Post
HVCC is Hudson Valley Community College.

You could survive without a car but it would be difficult.

Moderator cut: realtor soliciting
AH, but the CDTA bus service is pretty comprehensive. Not hard to get to the "main' places....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area